Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

carb install for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Squid

Miteflyer is on a distinguished road
carb install for a newbie

Hello lads and lassies of Superhawk land. It is a longish story, but I now own an '84 VF500F that has seen better days and sat the last two years. My 19 year old daughter has laid claim to the thing and I am considering it. Would be fun to have her join her brothers and me on outings.

Not surprising to need to pull the carbs. After cleaning I am attempting to install them. They came out so easily thot I could get lucky w/ the reverse. (I could also win the lottery - and I don't buy tickets.)

So is there a trick or technique to assist? The manifold connectors are pretty pliable so don't think that is an issue. I began by inserting the fronts. Went in okay. Once the backs were in (not nearly as okay) the fronts popped out, etc.

Looking for any assist you veterans might have to offer. I am a recreational mechanic (parts changer more accurately) but not w/o experience having serviced my own autos, trucks, boat, airplane and motorcycles the last 42 years; and hanging around the old man and older brothers before that as they worked on various machines. But this thing has me licked at the moment.

If the bike is a nice to ride as I read I might just keep it for myself as a little canyon carver. But i have to get it running in order to make that decision. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:02 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
lots of force, lots. Also, a carb boot tool (90 degree heavy duty pick tool) helps.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
When I had my '87 magna, I used a ratchet strap to put LIGHT but continual pressure to pull the carbs down onto the boots. Using a little lube in the boots helps alot too.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:56 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I believe if you partially install the rear boots at a 45° angle they go in much easier. I have an '86 and had to buy new boots. If you have ANY cracking at all replace them or you will be fighting leaks. Check out the VF forums.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
I used a small amount of all purpose grease on the rim of mine to slide em back in.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:36 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by geekonamotorcycle
I used a small amount of all purpose grease on the rim of mine to slide em back in.
You never had a vf500f... ... jk geek, just messin!
Old 08-10-2011, 08:35 PM
Squid

Thank you for the hints. had already tried all but the ratchet strap, but will give it a go once again. Sometimes you just have to wear 'em down, right?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Squid

just cuz i know you are all waiting to hear - yes, the carbs are back in place after tonight's efforts. decided to let the boots set in really hot water for a few minutes even tho they seemed pretty pliable. seems to have done the trick, three went on easily and the 4th just needed some work with the pick (actually I use a tool for pulling old style auto door handle retainer clips). Thanx again for the suggestions.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:45 PM
Squid

Babelfish is on a distinguished road
Old tread but I've got a tip. I found this when searchihng for tips to install carbs. It's still quite cold around here and it was hard to get the carbs installed.
Miteflyer used water, I used a heat gun. A couple of minutes whith the heat gun, some silicone spray and "plop", the carbs where both in place.