Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carb Rebuild - How to install pilot screw

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Squid

YLTO-Superhawk is on a distinguished road
Carb Rebuild - How to install pilot screw

Did a quick search and took a look at the how to guide someone did, but didnt see an answer to my question.

So... I rebuilt my carbs and cleaned them, and I thought I did a good job taking notes and pictures. Now, as I look to put it all back together I see a note that I should have taken notice how many turns it took to unscrew the pilot screw, so I can put it back exactly the same way. It also says if I screw too far Ill damage it.

So, how does one who DIDNT pay attention when he took it apart know how far to screw the pilot screw back down to its correct position?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:56 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
On your pilot screw there is a spring, a washer and then a very small rubber o-ring. That o-ring can get damaged if you screw it too far (it just over-compresses the rubber). I am just telling you what happens and why you don't tighten the screw all the way. People are warning against tightening it like an assembly screw is all...

Knowing that, you just screw it in until it stops (you'll know). This won't damage the rubber, just don't tighten it down any more. This is what you're measuring turns from. Then turn it out 2 1/4 turns for the front and 2 1/2 for the rear. It is usually easiest for me to count turns by the half turn. It's easier for me to back it out controlled that way and keep track. So I'd count 4 half turns and then go a quarter turn more for the front. Hope this didn't make it more confusing!