Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Bogged down Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 07:23 AM
Squid

jtgraha2 is on a distinguished road
Bogged down Rattle

Hey,

Just wondering if this is normal. While accelerating from a high gear (2000 rpm in 4th) My bike has a little rattle that will go away as soon as the engine begins to build power. I've already replaced the CCT with APE manuals. I have a 1998 SH w/ 6000 miles. Thanks

Jon
Old 06-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
yes it's normal but why the hell wouldn't you change gears? That's what they're there for. Not a good idea.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:01 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Since your so low in the rpm range, the engine my be quiet enough that you're hearing the carb slides rattle. Just a guess.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:02 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
WOW, a 98 with 6000 miles? Maybe it's just made because you don't give it enough attention. Ladies are like that ya' know. :-)
Old 06-30-2006, 08:52 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jtgraha2
Hey,

Just wondering if this is normal. While accelerating from a high gear (2000 rpm in 4th) My bike has a little rattle that will go away as soon as the engine begins to build power. I've already replaced the CCT with APE manuals. I have a 1998 SH w/ 6000 miles. Thanks

Jon
may be putting a load on crank bearings,use your gear box.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Squid

yeah previous owner never rode it. For example whenever i turn onto a road.....2nd gear starting from 2-3K and then if i get on it i can hear a little rattle. shouldn't this bike handle a pull from 2-3k without any strange noises? Maybe i'm just paranoid with the new bike

jon
Old 06-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yup, carb slides. Don't worry about it. Wear earplugs and ride the crap out of it!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Squid

good thanks for the info.....was getting depressed thinking about a 6K mile engine already needing a valve adjustment
Old 07-01-2006, 01:21 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
ahhh, thank god!! I'm so glad somebody else talked about it. I have been noticing a similar noise, that I thought had been there before but couldn't remember for sure. paranoid about the cam chain tensioner, I took it to a shop and had a guy listen to it. he said he thought the cct's sounded fine. couldn't really hear wat I was talking about. its more obvious when you're riding it. its a ticking between 2k, and 4k that goes away or gets drowned out when you really get on it. I too was worried about the valves, but I haven't noticed it getting any louder. but I guess its just normal engine noise huh? my last bike was like that too. it used to freak me out then too.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:29 AM
Squid

swordfish,

couldn't agree with you anymore.....I was worried enough to go ahead and put in APE cct's and I still worry about valves being out of adjustment.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:40 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
that's hillarious. my APE's should be arriving this week lol. same damn thing. I'll probably still have them installed. seems prudent. but I'm not stressing the ticking anymore.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Back Marker

Yardstick
I've been wondering the same thing! I was originally thinking it was some kind of pre-igniton/detonation problem! I've been caught in situations where I've slowed down, but haven't shifted down enough times, so I'm still in too high of a gear and hear that. I didn't check my manual. Does it say in there that if you lug the bike down it'll make that noise or something??
Old 07-08-2006, 01:09 AM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
Lugging the engine.....

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories...8031&ran=43046

probably not a good idea

From another web page:
"Lugging an engine means putting the engine under an extremely stressful load. A common way to lug an engine is to operate it at an extremely low rpm while the transmission is in a higher gear (for instance, leaving the transmission in fourth gear when it should be in second or third where engine speed is better matched to transmission speed). Lugging causes extreme stress between the rear thrust faces of each piston and the cylinder walls. Small bits of piston skirt can break away causing the rear surface to scuff. The best prevention for lugging an engine (either old or new) is to downshift to a lower gear where the engine runs more freely, and the transmission assists the engine in delivering peak power to the rear wheel."