General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Check out this seat cowl I rattle canned.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 02:04 AM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
Check out this seat cowl I rattle canned.

Spraypaint. First try.
Primer, enamel, clearcoat. Lots of wetsanding.

This piece has a few blemishes, but I might do my entire bike.
Veerrrrrry time consuming.

Last edited by Anto; 09-14-2007 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:48 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
That looks pretty darn good. I did a helmet once and did the same thing, wetsanding, polishing and it looked awesome. The one thing I did notice though was the spray paint just never seemed to get as hard as what comes out of a gun. Ever notice that?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:31 AM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
sweet work, I had my cowl repaired - I wonder if that's what they did...
Old 09-14-2007, 06:30 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

falcondrvr is on a distinguished road
that's damn nice work. i wish i was that patient
Old 09-14-2007, 06:35 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Great results.

I've done an entire sport bike that way and it was pretty labor intensive with all that wet sanding and polishing to get those kind of results.

Name:  whitevtec.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  45.4 KB

The downside: it lasted less than a year as it chipped/scratched too easily and was not impervious to gasoline/strong chemicals. If I were to try it again, I'd use color-rite's line but that would by $$$ compared to the $50 worth of off-the-shelf spray bombs I used.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:23 AM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Very nice work.

I was thinking about doing the entire hawk next winter, but I'm not sure yet.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:31 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Looks nice! anyone know if any automotive type clears with hardener are compatible with the rattle can paints? If so you would still save some $ on the color but the harder clear would hold up much better.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
Try your local auto body paint supply. As I've said in other posts, my local shop has a machine to put custom mix automotive quality
paint in rattle cans. You have to buy a quart ($60 including cost of cans of automotive quality clear) and have them mix in the bumper paint flex compound so it doesn't crack when you take parts of. I would also use body shop primer too since off the shelf is soft - a weak foundation that makes hard paint come off.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:34 AM
MotoGP

AFAIK, they all preached a matched system not to be mixed with others. If I was to gamble again, I'd try spray bomb paints with color-rite's spray can clear ($30/can).

I was off by 10-15f on a spraying temperature recommendation while applying clear with a pro gun and it turned to sheeeeet within minutes and that was with a matched system!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:38 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Chitownson
Try your local auto body paint supply. As I've said in other posts, my local shop has a machine to put custom mix automotive quality
paint in rattle cans. You have to buy a quart ($60 including cost of cans of automotive quality clear) and have them mix in the bumper paint flex compound so it doesn't crack when you take parts of. I would also use body shop primer too since off the shelf is soft - a weak foundation that makes hard paint come off.

Some great advice there. I need to match a fender on another bike and will check into this around my area as we have nothing locally like that.

I think a weak primer caused the easy stone chips on my vfr above while a weak clear allowed even a tank bag to make impressions in it.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
I've heard that spraypaint clearcoat can be pretty hard, as long as you wait months for it to cure.

I'm currently looking for an automotive clearcoat that comes in a can, something rock hard that won't chip. I've heard of the $50 roller paint method, but I don't have the time for that. Spraypaints are more convenient, and can yield similar results.

The acrylic enamel i'm using now should hold up. The clearcoat is still soft, but i'm going to Honda Polish it (UV protection) and leave it in the sun for a few days for it to cure.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:24 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

You guys might be better off getting some advice from a paint shop and getting better quality paints and clears and spraying them with one of those small preval co2 sprayers. Like I said I've tried using rattle cans but no matter how good of a job you do the durability just doesn't seem to be there.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:46 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
most paint shops can load the paint into a spray can for you. So if you want $$$ paints in a method you can use, they can load it. It would probably save$$ over buying a branded spray bomb that costs $30 a can.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:52 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
most paint shops can load the paint into a spray can for you. So if you want $$$ paints in a method you can use, they can load it. It would probably save$$ over buying a branded spray bomb that costs $30 a can.

Good point...I did the bumper on my car like this. Nearby paint shop does just that.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
I painted my '88 Hurricane with cans. I was working third shift by myself at the time and had plenty of time to kill. The stickers cost about 3 times as much as the paint.
Attached Thumbnails Check out this seat cowl I rattle canned.-mar24-02.jpg   Check out this seat cowl I rattle canned.-mar24-03.jpg