SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Bogged down Rattle (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/bogged-down-rattle-9056/)

jtgraha2 06-30-2006 07:23 AM

Bogged down Rattle

Hey,

Just wondering if this is normal. While accelerating from a high gear (2000 rpm in 4th) My bike has a little rattle that will go away as soon as the engine begins to build power. I've already replaced the CCT with APE manuals. I have a 1998 SH w/ 6000 miles. Thanks

Jon

blokeontheend 06-30-2006 07:55 AM

yes it's normal but why the hell wouldn't you change gears? That's what they're there for. Not a good idea.

superbling 06-30-2006 08:01 AM

Since your so low in the rpm range, the engine my be quiet enough that you're hearing the carb slides rattle. Just a guess.

superbling 06-30-2006 08:02 AM

WOW, a 98 with 6000 miles? Maybe it's just made because you don't give it enough attention. Ladies are like that ya' know. :-)

hawxter996 06-30-2006 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by jtgraha2
Hey,

Just wondering if this is normal. While accelerating from a high gear (2000 rpm in 4th) My bike has a little rattle that will go away as soon as the engine begins to build power. I've already replaced the CCT with APE manuals. I have a 1998 SH w/ 6000 miles. Thanks

Jon

may be putting a load on crank bearings,use your gear box.

jtgraha2 06-30-2006 09:04 AM

yeah previous owner never rode it. For example whenever i turn onto a road.....2nd gear starting from 2-3K and then if i get on it i can hear a little rattle. shouldn't this bike handle a pull from 2-3k without any strange noises? Maybe i'm just paranoid with the new bike

jon

Hawkrider 06-30-2006 12:27 PM

Yup, carb slides. Don't worry about it. Wear earplugs and ride the crap out of it!

jtgraha2 06-30-2006 12:30 PM

good thanks for the info.....was getting depressed thinking about a 6K mile engine already needing a valve adjustment

swordfish 07-01-2006 01:21 AM

ahhh, thank god!! I'm so glad somebody else talked about it. I have been noticing a similar noise, that I thought had been there before but couldn't remember for sure. paranoid about the cam chain tensioner, I took it to a shop and had a guy listen to it. he said he thought the cct's sounded fine. couldn't really hear wat I was talking about. its more obvious when you're riding it. its a ticking between 2k, and 4k that goes away or gets drowned out when you really get on it. I too was worried about the valves, but I haven't noticed it getting any louder. but I guess its just normal engine noise huh? my last bike was like that too. it used to freak me out then too.

jtgraha2 07-05-2006 04:29 AM

swordfish,

couldn't agree with you anymore.....I was worried enough to go ahead and put in APE cct's and I still worry about valves being out of adjustment.

swordfish 07-05-2006 09:40 PM

that's hillarious. my APE's should be arriving this week lol. same damn thing. I'll probably still have them installed. seems prudent. but I'm not stressing the ticking anymore.

Yardstick 07-07-2006 03:48 PM

I've been wondering the same thing! I was originally thinking it was some kind of pre-igniton/detonation problem! I've been caught in situations where I've slowed down, but haven't shifted down enough times, so I'm still in too high of a gear and hear that. I didn't check my manual. Does it say in there that if you lug the bike down it'll make that noise or something??

BirdofParadise 07-08-2006 01:09 AM

Lugging the engine.....

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories...8031&ran=43046

probably not a good idea

From another web page:
"Lugging an engine means putting the engine under an extremely stressful load. A common way to lug an engine is to operate it at an extremely low rpm while the transmission is in a higher gear (for instance, leaving the transmission in fourth gear when it should be in second or third where engine speed is better matched to transmission speed). Lugging causes extreme stress between the rear thrust faces of each piston and the cylinder walls. Small bits of piston skirt can break away causing the rear surface to scuff. The best prevention for lugging an engine (either old or new) is to downshift to a lower gear where the engine runs more freely, and the transmission assists the engine in delivering peak power to the rear wheel."