Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Blinkers Shorting to Ground?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:44 AM
K30
Squid

K30 is on a distinguished road
Blinkers Shorting to Ground?

I'm having an odd problem. This morning on my way to work, my blinkers stopped working. The relay still clicks, but no blinking. The front lights still light up for running lights, but when you try to use the blinker they go off. All my fuses are fine.

On a related note, my horn mount broke a few days ago, so the wires for the horn aren't hooked to anything. I taped them up and moved them out of the way, but I figured since they're on the same fuse that might be relevant.

Any ideas? I'm going to go out at lunch and poke around with a multimeter.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Mine did something similar a few weeks ago. It ended up being a loose wire. I'm not sure what your setup is like, but mine has aftermarket signals with wire connectors right near the signals for easier removal of the fairings, and one of those wire connectors pulled loose. I tightened it back up and things went back to normal. Maybe something pulled loose related to tinkering with the horn wires?

If I remember right, if I mix up the wires, I get the result you described, so that's another thing to check I guess.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well I can say the horn has nothing to do with it unless the wires are shorted.

I ran without a horn for years and now use the circuit as my garage door opener......
Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 AM
K30
Squid

I just checked all my connections and nothing changed. They were all fully seated. I do have aftermarket blinkers, flush mount on the front and LED in the back but they've been working fine up until today.

I checked the ground at each blinker and its fine. The power lead for the rear blinkers was odd though. They have ~1.5v when the blinkers are off and 0v when the blinkers are on. Considering the front indicator light goes off when the blinker is activated, I figure I have a short somewhere.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:52 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
When my horn stopped working so did my blinkers. then my RR fried. thats just my experience. I blame everything on RR though so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:47 PM
K30
Squid

lol, I replaced my R/R recently and did a good ground point cleaning as well. I found the issue, it turns out a motorcycle in Washington State might get some corrosion is odd places after 28k miles. The contact points in the switch were HEAVILY corroded. I'm pretty confident it was the issue, but will update after everything is back together.

I will also take some pictures of the switch and it's internals for future reference.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Rooster Wolf
Back Marker

VFR79 is on a distinguished road
Strange, mine quit yesterday as well, just like you described. I'll be checking out the contacts on my switch tomorrow.