General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ever practice picking your bike up off the ground?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:06 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Ever practice picking your bike up off the ground?

I've been riding about 10 months, never dropped a bike, but I'm thinking if I did I could have trouble picking it up.

I think this weekend I'm going to lay mine over gently in the grass (in the backyard!), maybe on a towel or something, and practice picking it up.

It's something I don't want to have to learn for the first time in the middle of a busy intersection.

Am I stupid? Anyone else tried this? Or do you guys just practice every few months by crashing your bikes?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:19 AM
Squid

harlangto is on a distinguished road
NO and I have crashed or laid it on it's side more than once because of some
stupid *** cager.
The SH is one of the lightest, well balanced v-twins out there,
if you can't stand next to it and lay it more than half way over without dropping it
you should go down to something that fits you.
Try to eat your Wheaties and remember to use your legs - not your back
Old 09-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Squid

jonnyd is on a distinguished road
I've had to pick up my bike twice.

Once during my license test I almost dropped it, almost. Only lost 1 point on the entire test because I put my foot down to pick it back up. Danged slow stuff!! Anyway, I was so worried about failing the test I barely remember stopping it inches from the ground. After everyone was like "I can't believe you saved that".

And secondly, I dropped mine doing about 20 on a mountain corner, it slid into the other lane of traffic. Even with all my roadrash adrenalin kicked in and it sure as HELL didn't feel like a 450lb bike. I even pushed it back to the normal side with the rear tire locked because I bent the rear brake lever.

You can practice all you want, point is: if and when it comes time for you to pick your bike up, you'll have no troubles.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:37 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by harlangto
The SH is one of the lightest, well balanced v-twins out there,
if you can't stand next to it and lay it more than half way over without dropping it
you should go down to something that fits you.
Try to eat your Wheaties and remember to use your legs - not your back

Nah, I'll just give you a call and you can pick it up for me, since you're such a badass.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
If you want to practice I would put frame sliders on it to save your mirrors and turn signals...and yes I practice picking mine up by accident.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Back Marker

doggerman is on a distinguished road
Not anything I've ever practiced,But I have picked up a couple of bikes.Adrenalin is a mighty powerfull drug.You might all ready know this,but gas stations,stop signs,and stop lights are prime spots for oil puddles.Your foot slips and down you go.There's all so those pollished man hole covers in the middle of intersections.All low or no speed drops that can be avoided.The"first" rains all so bring up the oil's in the road.Then they wash away.Dont be afraid,just be aware,and eat your Wheaties.This may be the begining of a long love affair.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
proper technique to save you from wrenching your back when you do it is to face away from the bike.

basically, get the bike in gear or grab the front brake if 1st gear is not an option (this way it won't roll when you pick it up)

face away from the bike and squat down...put your lower back/butt against the bike and then use a combo of lifting and walking backwards to get it upright.

this way you use your legs to lift instead of your back.

if you can remember this when you're full of adrenaline, also remember to walk it up slowly or you'll just dump it over the other side

for light sportbikes, this isn't as important...but i've seen a dainty little gal pick up a Goldwing from it's side using this technique...she grunted a bit, but she got it up
Old 09-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Back Marker

DrPepper is on a distinguished road
i laided my gsxr1300 down maybe 2 months ago and cause i had just went down i was able to pick it up easly but it will be alittle different cause your body isnt reacting the same
Old 09-12-2008, 04:41 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPc0h6Z1y8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsdzd...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sP3c...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4MPy...eature=related
Old 09-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Squid

Hawkguy Pierce is on a distinguished road
Pickin' it up

If you're going to practice in grass, wear some CLEATS! Nothing sucks worse than slipping and dropping the bike. Then you really have a problem that you manufactured yourself. Like everyone said above, keep your back to the bike and use your legs. If you do crash, you probably won't remember to do it correctly because you will be overdosing on adrenalin for sure (the voice of experience). If you do get it picked up, you will have the confidence and security of thought that you can do it if you needed to.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:24 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
When I crashed my '86 CB700SC Nighthawk 20 years ago, I just picked it up and rode home after straightening the left bar. And it was heavier than a VTR1000F.

You're not riding a Gold Wing.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:13 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
This was discussed a while back and includes a link to a decent writeup on this...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=12652
Old 09-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Squid

NWbrew is on a distinguished road
Don't forget to put the kickstand down before you lift it if it's left side down. Just like slipping in grass, that would suck to drop it in a practice run.

I lifted my katana up at about the same weight, it wasn't too bad and was good practice.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Squid

SuperMike is on a distinguished road
I had to pick mine up a month ago when my psycho ex knocked it over! Not too bad especially when youre pissed! LOL
Old 09-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
If you play with bikes for long enough, you WILL drop one sooner or later.Knowing good lifting technique helps. Owned a VMax in '88 and dropped that.I was so F***KING mad I picked it up and dam near threw it over on the other side! Now I'm #155 and the Max weighs #600..... Adrenaline works!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:15 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SuperMike
I had to pick mine up a month ago when my psycho ex knocked it over! Not too bad especially when youre pissed! LOL
Yeah, I remember that one. Hope you got the damage taken care of.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:42 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SuperMike
If she was stuck under it you may have run out of muscle tough, these things are heavy.

If you lay the bike, don't drop it completely, the fairings will make weird sounds and there is enough weight to crush them, not badly but enough to be annoying.
Do it on the driveway edge to the tires will grip and not slip, gently let the bike go, then pick it back up, I did this to get rid of an air bubble in the clutch banjo bolt, down to the exhaust and I'm 155 lbs wet.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:05 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Good advice about using your legs to lift the bike. I did it once facing the bike and lifted it with my arms. Tore a biceps. The arm still looks funny.