Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

sound of vtr???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Squid

simone is on a distinguished road
sound of vtr???

hi everybody

i am curious, is it normal for engine to sound more silent on left side than on right.
i bought vtr this year an i had little cct problem that i fixed 2 weeks ago and now imm finally having some longer rides other than going to work and back, but i can't help noticing that i got some kind of scratching sound on right side somewhere in clutch cover area. it doesn't sound catastrophic but still it's annoying in some way. i don't know anybody who have vtr because its very rare bike in my country, so i was wondering if someone can tell me if this is a common thing with hawks. i also tried to listen other hawks on youtube and i can't tell whether it's the same sound, but there is a difference in sound on opposite sides of engine.

there is one more thing when i'mm around 3000rpm or less and than try to accelerate i got some strange sound kinda like tractor i must go in to lower gear. it's like hawk likes to be driven over 4 rpm than its much more smoother is that normal?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:23 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
That is probably the normal "VTR whine" that you hear. It's one way to identify our bikes without looking at it. It's kind of like a sewing machine sound.

As for riding under 3000 rpm, I always downshift when I get below 3000. The engine will "lug" if you accelerate hard from that engine speed. And yes, it is not good for the engine, specifically the crankshaft bearings. 3500 rpm or higher is good for full throttle acceleration. But watch it doing that in 1st gear, unless you like to wheelie.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:44 PM
motokraft
Back Marker

motokraft is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by simone
hi everybody

there is one more thing when i'mm around 3000rpm or less and than try to accelerate i got some strange sound kinda like tractor i must go in to lower gear. it's like hawk likes to be driven over 4 rpm than its much more smoother is that normal?
thats big vtwins for ya

and does your noise dissapear if you pull in the clutch ? ,

ive a slight knock in mine that go`s when the clutch is pulled in , i took it apart and it seems ok , i stopped worrying about it ,

the valvegear can get a little noisey if its due a valve clearance check ,
Old 06-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Back Marker

insider is on a distinguished road
might be the water pump? or who's got more mechanical skills can argue...
simone,also ask somebody to put their hands on the exhaust ends for a couple of seconds,that should really isolate the sound better and give you a better idea where the sound is coming from..
Old 06-13-2011, 04:48 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
You can use a screwdriver with a long blade, or a wooden dowel, as a stethoscope. Put the tip of the screwdriver against the clutch cover and the handle against your ear. Do the same with the water pump, it's the unit above and in front of the clutch. That should help isolate the sound, if it's anything other than normal VTR noises.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Squid

already done that thing with screwdriver and it only sound louder when i put it against water pump so i guess ill take off pump cover its not too hard just for piece of mind

one more thing while we at the cooling system when should radiator fan start working.
today temperature on my hawk reached the middle of gauge and fan still didn't started?
Old 06-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Squid

@motokraft
when i pull the clutch it sounds same its not the sound like something is malfunctioning its just little scratching and smoothly ticking that gets louder as the engine warms up that is why it is annoying

Last edited by simone; 06-13-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:41 AM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
The fan on mine does not switch on until just past the middle of the guage, if thats any help.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:49 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

klx678 is on a distinguished road
Don't forget, right side is also cam drive side too.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Squid

i know about cam shaft on right side. thanks anyway. colleague of mine have vfr an he claim that sound of my engine is normal but... i found a guy on local internet forum that rides vtr so imm gonna meet with him in next few days to listen to his engine. i guess imm just scared because i had that bad experience with cct and valves and now imm concerned about every tick and scratch.
bu the way yesterday i tried full throttle in third gear and boy i was amazed like a rocket. i love this bike!