Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

bike start up

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Squid

lip81 is on a distinguished road
bike start up

I have a problem starting my bike.

-When starting, I have to have the choke in and slowly pull it out and it starts no problem. If not it will back fire and not start.

-My bike has been running hot. The thermo is a little to the right of the middle, even on a cold night.

I am not sure if they have anything to do with each other. Not sure where to start looking either.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:06 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Where is the backfire comming from? Air box or exhaust? Was it starting normal and then just changed to this condition? Or was it a slow porgression to where it is now? How does the bike feel when riding? Throttle response off idle, flat spots in power delivery?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by xeris
Where is the backfire comming from? Air box or exhaust? Was it starting normal and then just changed to this condition? Or was it a slow porgression to where it is now? How does the bike feel when riding? Throttle response off idle, flat spots in power delivery?
+1 and also have you made any changes to the bike recently?
Or if you really get stumped you could always bring it by sometime and I could take a look at it....
Old 03-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
+1 and also have you made any changes to the bike recently?
Or if you really get stumped you could always bring it by sometime and I could take a look at it....

Damn, That sure is nice to have someone with that much knowledge on this bike to be close enough to stop by. Just can't beat that offer.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:16 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by archaicguy
Damn, That sure is nice to have someone with that much knowledge on this bike to be close enough to stop by. Just can't beat that offer.
Just trying to give back to the forum a bit. The offer is open to any of you guys in the Bay Area.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM
Squid

lip81 is on a distinguished road
The following day of my post I read what you had to wrote and went to test my bike. It started right up. I put it on a trickle charger a couple nights prior since I didn't want to ride it until I got her up to par.

I took her out today and didn't have a start up problem, still running warm. Is this possible that a weak battery would make the bike need to start with choke in and not out?