Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

beating a dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 10:11 AM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
beating a dead horse

OK, I realize I may be beating a dead horse here but here goes.
I've read and re read the thread on TPS adjustment. Seems simple enough and straight forward.

The questions I have are about adding a hose for easy synchronizing. I have searched here for the information I'm looking for but have not found what I was looking for. Also, will I need to sync after each time I adjust TPS until I have the setting I want? It seems that if the throttle cables are not disturbed syncing wouldn't bee necessary. But then, I'm still getting used to what this bike needs. Flame me if necessary but I had to ask.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
I'll try to take some pictures of my sync-hose setup tonight for you, also I don't think TPS has anything to do with syncing.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
www.vtr1000.org • Portal How to balance your carbs

www.vtr1000.org • View topic - How to balance your carbs
Old 09-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
Check out the manual thats available here on the site. I believe its in the knowledge base. Itll show pics of how the carbs linkage work. There is only one cable for both the carbs. There is a separate linkage to pair the carbs. This is where there is a tiny screw that is a bitch to get at to synch the carbs.... Small adjustments are needed to the screw.(a full turn is alot for example)
As far as TPS goes well just be careful not to pull out the unit....
What I would do personally is read up and get familiar with the carb assembly. Pull off the airbox and look at whats going on. From there I would personally pull off the carb unit, clean it up. Check on what jets you have if you dont know. With the carbs off I would do the TPS thing. You might want to look into the Carb setup post too on the forum. That made my bike run great after that.
Lastly Id order a nipple from Honda which you will need to hook up the added vac hose that will be needed for you synch job. Also youll need to make a homemade synch gauge if you dont have one already.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:58 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jeephawk
Check out the manual thats available here on the site. I believe its in the knowledge base. Itll show pics of how the carbs linkage work. There is only one cable for both the carbs. There is a separate linkage to pair the carbs. This is where there is a tiny screw that is a bitch to get at to synch the carbs.... Small adjustments are needed to the screw.(a full turn is alot for example)
As far as TPS goes well just be careful not to pull out the unit....
What I would do personally is read up and get familiar with the carb assembly. Pull off the airbox and look at whats going on. From there I would personally pull off the carb unit, clean it up. Check on what jets you have if you dont know. With the carbs off I would do the TPS thing. You might want to look into the Carb setup post too on the forum. That made my bike run great after that.
Lastly Id order a nipple from Honda which you will need to hook up the added vac hose that will be needed for you synch job. Also youll need to make a homemade synch gauge if you dont have one already.
thanks. i have the gauge. I've done this on other bikes but am unfamiliar with the VTR. I just finished the tps, I wasn't too sure about the sync. Other bikes require it after doing damn near anything to the carbs. I looked at my VTR and I thought it had two throttle cables so I figured I would need the same set up as any twin with duel carb set up.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:16 PM
SuperSport

OK this is really embarrassing but I gotta ask because I can't find it in the service manual. I have one tube extra that I have no idea where it goes. it is the vacuum tube that runs next to the front fuel hose. I have looked in the service manual and under the tank, engine and carb system and I have to admit I cant figure it out. I feel like a dumb *** but I need to know where the damn thing goes.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:46 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Pertaining to the sync or is that the petcock vac?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:01 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by aja
Pertaining to the sync or is that the petcock vac?
not the sync.
While I was installing the fuel tank everything found a home but for one small vacuum tube running along side the front fuel hose. It has a pinch clamp on it. There is no place under the tank or the petcock for it. All breather tubes and vent tubes accounted for. In the service manual it shows the vacuum tube next to the fuel hose but no indication of where it belongs.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:15 PM
SuperSport

I think I might have found the place for the vacuum tube. Is there a vacuum connection at the fuel valve just above the connection for the front fuel line? Hard to read the service manual it's a bit blurry.