Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Beating a dead horse... LED brake lights & signals

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Squid

theosagekid is on a distinguished road
Beating a dead horse... LED brake lights & signals

I want to install an LED brake light to replace the OEM unit, but I don't want to ditch my turnsignals.

IMO having one side of my brakelight flashing yellow instead of having separate *Back Off* signals and "I'm going This Way" signals makes me uncomfortable.
Anyone had experience with these brake units?

Honda VTR1000 LED Brake Tail Light CLEAR Lens 98-05 | eBay

Also, is it possible to get them with something other than a clear lens?

I'm not very handy, and therefore very leery of trying to fabricate a mod from something that "almost" fits rather than just a bolt-on (which still might take some tweaking.)

I'm planning on replacing my "shorty" aftermarket filament-bulb signals which have very small lenses and bulbs with LED units that will be DOT legal, or at least close.

If the rear signals don't stay illuminated as running lights, is it difficult to change the wiring & relay setups so that they will?

I see no reason to get ticketed just for the sake of looking fashionable,
so what the heck, I'll just appease "the Man" before I start by buying the right parts.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
One word regarding eBay LED tail lights... "Crap"...

As for the running lights and LED's... If you are like you say, "not handy", get a set that's already wired for running lights, three wires... LED re-wiring and "not handy" usually doesn't work very well filament bulbs are easier... The only thing you need to do with the relay, is to swap it to a load independant one, www.customled.com have one that's plug-n-play, this is neccessaryfor all LED's so running lights doesn't matter here...
Old 01-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Squid

Man, my head is about to explode from google-frustration.
There is a serious lack of retailers willing to separate me from my money in order to sell a tail- and brake light-only LED setup for a VFR.
What a PITA.

Any ideas for building/adapting something through the back of the original housing?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:34 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
This guy made one from a cbr LED taillight... removed the assembly from a cbr and put it in his vtr...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...version-24726/
Old 01-18-2012, 10:43 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
I pretty much agree with Markus, but I would add that it is possible to get "acceptable" quality off Ebay, but it is a risk.
Mine came from ebay shipped from Canada, not from China and was one of the ~$30 something price range. I'm not sure I would recommend risking 2x that amount on the hope of better quality.
As for hooking up your new after market LED signals and retaining running lights make sure they are 3 wire. On the brake light you can still get the integrated turn signal unit and either choose not to hook up the signals or you can hook them up in parallel to the outboard signals and use both.
For lens colors I have only seen clear and smoke and I would personally go with clear to get as much light as possible.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Squid

MikeMcW is on a distinguished road
Clear alternatives is a great product. I wouldn't 2nd guess buying that light off of EBAY.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
CPT Obvious
Squid

kbyers is on a distinguished road
Use the search function this site. There is a post about using a LED trailer light as a rear brake. To over simplify things- Buy light, remove stock tail light, put stock tail light in oven on low to heat glue, separate stock tail light halves, insert LED light and epoxy, reassembly and install stock tail light, wire and enjoy.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM
CPT Obvious
Squid

kbyers is on a distinguished road
Here you go

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...etrofit-15217/
Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MikeMcW
Clear alternatives is a great product. I wouldn't 2nd guess buying that light off of EBAY.

Did you mean Cloudy Alternatives? I have one that I haven't taken the time to throw away, I keep thinking I could use the LED panel in a stock taillight. There was no loss in visibility factor when I went back to stock.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:30 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I have the "how to retro fit led light" in both my bikes and am happy with it. I don't think anyone should run the squid light thing that has turn signals incorporated into the tail light. Its way to unsafe. I have extra turn signal lights so no one can miss me.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Well kid, if we knew where you are from maybe someone close to you would assist you with the hacknslash taillight mod. Wiring can get complicated if you have NO experience messing with such things. Do you have any riding friends that would help for a 6 pack?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GlockPointer
Did you mean Cloudy Alternatives? I have one that I haven't taken the time to throw away, I keep thinking I could use the LED panel in a stock taillight.
This is what I did... although I'm squidding around with no supplemental turn signals either.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:46 AM
Squid

Doesn't look as difficult as I thought

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
Well kid, if we knew where you are from maybe someone close to you would assist you with the hacknslash taillight mod. Wiring can get complicated if you have NO experience messing with such things. Do you have any riding friends that would help for a 6 pack?
This mod looks like something I could get my head around, especially with some help from my next door neighbor who used to work in an autobody shop.
Believe it or not Wolverine, I actually don't have any riding friends. (Gee, sounds pathetic, doesn't it?) I live in a small rural town about 40 miles south of Topeka, KS and work Saturdays. That kind of puts a damper on searching for other people to ride with, and it seems like the Harley and Harley-clone types around this general area tend to hold the sportbike crowd at arms length.
Haknslash's idea looks like just about exactly what I had in mind because it maintains the original lines of the 'Hawk.
Thanks for the link guys!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
That's ok, I live in the middle of New York City and don't have "riding friends". I only have race buddies but thats all the way in NH, 6hrs away.