Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Beating a dead horse

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Beating a dead horse

I like everybody else loves the sound the Superhawk makes with aftermarket exhaust on it. I myself am not looking for performance gains but more for the sound and looks a set of highmounts have to offer. From my readings here aftermarket exhaust + airfilter= bike running hot. Aftermarket exhaust+ airfilter+ jetkit = big flat spot in powerband from 5000 to 7000 RPM. The loss of torque for a few extra on the top is not my cup of tea. What I am asking is does anyone here wish they left their bike stock? From what I have read, the only real mod is changing the rear sprocket so that the bike is geared lower. That is unless you are the few that did all this plus headwork, cams,and compression. I want the bike to sound better just not at the cost of performance.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:17 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point
the title of your post alone made me do it sorry have you thought about just adding pipes and nothing else?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Back Marker

From what I have heard it still makes the bike run hot. Are we talking a little hotter than normal? If so,not a big deal or does it cause the motor to ping?
Another question is there a problem with excess heat or melted boots from high mounts?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
I have Two Brothers ship ons and a stock filter with a Dyno Jet kit- NO flat spot, bike DOES NOT run hot AND I have more top end...I don't care what people say because: I know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Squid

MotoRider is on a distinguished road
I took a stock bike and added the Jardine High mount, round canister undertail exhaust with stock air filter and no jet kit. I found that there was little in the way of side effects. I got an occasional backfire on deceleration but no other negatives. The bike did NOT run hotter according to the temp guage. As far as the melted shoe thing goes, I wear a 12 and found that unless I ride on my arch rather than the ***** of my feet, there is a good chance of melting my shoe. Although, scraping the mess off of the pipe is really easy with a sharp razor blade held at approx 45 degrees. I'm about to add a K&N filter after adding the A.P.E Manual CCTs (Cam Chain Tensioners) and checking valve clearance. Depending on how it runs afterwards, I may do a jet kit. The high mounts look and sound serious compared to the stock pipes. I liked the bike stock but the after market pipes really set this bike off. Just keep the stock pipes for a long trip. I do feel like shifting a gear higher now on the highway but find that I'm already in top gear. Just the sound causing that effect.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Squid

mkimber is on a distinguished road
My bike runs the same temp with the Jardine high mounts as it did with the stock pipes. I've also got a K&N filter and Dynojet kit ready to install. I'm not sure I want to tear the bike down to install the jet kit but I don't want it to run like crap after I install the filter either.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Squid

redlinetech is on a distinguished road
I am mounting the Jardine RT1 Carbon High Mounts, as well as a Dyno Jet Stage 1 kit, and a K&N air filter this weekend. I will let you know after I have it dialed in.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
my bike when i got it had K&N and D&D's and a jet kit but it was not set up all that well. it did over heat, badly a couple times. and there was a bit of a flat spot. and it back fired through the carbs a lot. since then i have worked on jetting and fixed some other issues it had and now it does not over heet and the flat spot is gone. basically it all comes down to tuning the bike correctly. big v-twins are picky. big carbs are picky. the combination of the 2 is a flat PITA.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Back Marker

Thanks for the feedback looks like I get to convince the wife I need highmounts. You know loud pipes save lives! lol
Old 03-16-2007, 11:54 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I have Micron high-mounts and a DJ kit (no K&N) and bike runs no hotter htan before (which is quite hot already).
Old 03-16-2007, 04:17 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
First thing I did when I had my bike, I yanked the right side stock exhaust, and test fitted my D&D pipe from my blown ZX900, I heated it in a vise and bent it until it fitted nicely. I figured I could shop for a kit while I ride it. A month later at the dealership, I met someone with a kit and asked him to play some note, uhh, I did not like the sound. I fired mine up and gave a few twisties and the guy was definitely surprised. It stayed there ever since.

I had a turbo project but I delayed it to next winter, but I still had my bike in pieces so I figured it was time for a nice jet kit, so I just finished to install a DJ stage 1 kit. It was a breeze (when I figured how to take out the damn needle holder), now putting it back together for the upcoming season. I will not use anything else than a paper filter for my bike since it the one that perform the best (at removing dust particles), the increase in performance is temporary since the engine gets sandblasted and in the long run will perform less than original.