Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Backfire

Old 06-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Squid

brickbats is on a distinguished road
Backfire

Hi. I'm new here (first post) so if this has previously been hacked to death sorry to bring it up again. I have a bone stock 97 Superhawk that for the last few months has been backfiring under compression. That is if I'm coming to a stop at the bottom of a hill and am using compression to slow the bike down I'll get a pretty consistent backfire, just one and it doesn't happen under any other mode of operation. I'm a mechanical idiot so I asked the shop I take it to about it and they said it was probably related to the kind of fuel I'm buying (ethanol?). So I tanked up with premium today and the backfire is still happening. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Time for new sparkplugs?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Superstock

pigwings
and this is your first post??????????????????????
Old 06-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brickbats
Hi. I'm new here (first post) so if this has previously been hacked to death sorry to bring it up again. I have a bone stock 97 Superhawk that for the last few months has been backfiring under compression. That is if I'm coming to a stop at the bottom of a hill and am using compression to slow the bike down I'll get a pretty consistent backfire, just one and it doesn't happen under any other mode of operation. I'm a mechanical idiot so I asked the shop I take it to about it and they said it was probably related to the kind of fuel I'm buying (ethanol?). So I tanked up with premium today and the backfire is still happening. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Time for new sparkplugs?

Do you eat regularly at Taco Bell???

LOL!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Just enjoy it, like I do.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brickbats
Sorry Bro, couldn't resist that one:P

Backfires are normal, it's probably just some unburned fuel making it to your headers...may be running a little rich too...how many miles???
Old 06-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Squid

brickbats is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I had a chalupa for breakfast. I'm firing on all eight cylinders now! No really, it was the bike. I have about 11k miles on the bike. And pigwings...you think I should have done up something else for my first post? Sorry about that. I'm brickbats living in Maryland outside of DC. I like cooking and guitars. But I never cook guitars. Nor do I shred. Please welcome me on board.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
and it did not pop (backfire) on decel for the previous 10,500 miles?

I have a 2003 that was pretty mild mannered stock with 1600 miles, but when the jardines went on, the pop on decel became rather obvious. maybe your stock cans are becoming a little freer flowing?

welcome, anyway!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
well i had similar backfire issues but i have removed about 99.997 % of them since removing pair system on the bike. also an after market exhaust seems to help quite a bit
Old 06-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Hawk Newbie
Back Marker

supermonie is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forums! I have a little backfire small and muffled nothing to worry about unless it sounds like a desert eagle 50 cal backfire!
Old 06-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by supermonie
Welcome to the forums! I have a little backfire small and muffled nothing to worry about unless it sounds like a desert eagle 50 cal backfire!
gets rid of the tailgaters though
Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Squid

tatsguyri is on a distinguished road
im fairly new as well. just picked up a 2001 sh with 12K miles. i have been reading many posts that say about removingthe "pair system"....what is that do and how do i remove it? also, how do i re-route carb vent tubes? my bikeis gasping for fuel at about 5K rpm's under load so im gonna tear open carbs and check that correct jet size was used, and then check if the holes are not clogged in tubes. it has RT-1's high mounts so i dont think previous owner would of had that done and NOT re-jetted, but i guess you never know. any answers to these q's or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! thanx
Old 06-10-2008, 11:40 PM
rubber side down
Squid

BlackHawk04 is on a distinguished road
This helped me -
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=9875
Old 06-11-2008, 03:49 AM
Squid

tatsguyri is on a distinguished road
hey thanx blackhawk. very good info! gonna try it all soon!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Squid

mwdejager is on a distinguished road
OK, I'm new here too. My 1998 is still almost new - less than 5000 miles according to the odo. Bought it two months ago and apart from the occasional backfire which was to be expected it was running perfectly. Yesterday when I got home from work after a less than 10 mile ride, it was misfiring/backfiring all the time when idling. This morning it sounds pretty bad too, but only when it idles or you close the throttle. Under acceleration and at 45 mph in 5th it runs smoothly though.
Could it be sparkplugs? Is it in need of a proper service? I drained the oil and replaced the filter about 2 weeks ago. Thought the rest would still be fine due to the low mileage. I know very little about fixing this kind of issue :-O

Last edited by mwdejager; 08-11-2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
Carb sync, check vac lines.

My bike started doing that, turns out the carb sync rubber cap fell off.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:56 AM
Squid

Thanks Anto. I will look into that immediately

Last edited by mwdejager; 08-12-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Thats Mr Dill hole to you
Superstock

filter69 is on a distinguished road
Look at the bottom of hawk riders posts there a link to a site called gregs liter bikes
has a ton of stuff there on how to mod superhawks and other things i think everyone should read it at least once.... suspension info there too....
Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Squid

Unhappy Does not look that easy to fix

Originally Posted by Anto
Carb sync, check vac lines.

My bike started doing that, turns out the carb sync rubber cap fell off.
I had a look just a while ago. I presume that I will have to take the tank off to get to the vacuum hose mounts, since I can't see anything that looks loose at the moment and I will definately not be able to get my hands in there...
Old 08-12-2008, 07:58 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
You probably do not need to remove it just to have as look around... just lift and tilt it... There is enough slack for that in the lines...
Old 08-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Superstock

Anto is on a distinguished road
If your bike is completely stock, you might want to get a T connector and splice it in the rear line, and add a rear cylinder screw to the front cylinder to make syncing easier..
Old 08-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Squid

GregOlsen is on a distinguished road
The backfiring on decelleration is one of the coolest things about the Hawk.