Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

BACKFIRE POP POP OUT OF PIPES! HELP!

Old 03-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
BACKFIRE POP POP OUT OF PIPES! HELP!

new sh owner here again....

if i put the beastly sh in neutral, rip it up to 7k, hold then drop , it backfires out of the MIG high mounts. i dont hear anything comin from the airbox.... jus the pipes. dont think the bikes jetted seeing how i just got it and havent looked(dont even know the signs to look for) , it jsut will pop on anything higher than 3k and deceleration or how some would call natural engine braking. a friend said its runnin too RICH -which is proportedly better than too lean- and need to change the needles or something? i would still like to fix it so i can gas it to 5k in first and engine brake to the next stop light without any poping. i know this is a waste of your time to reply, cus its so adolescent and easy of a question... but im just new to the 90 degree twin world.
on a side note..... it seems quite a few people play with the carbs all the time.... work on em all day to perfect em...... sometimes pulling out hair... but NOW I SEE why its so worth it to have carbs, from the smooth predictable linear power with no flat spots, to no jerky cornering when pulling from the twisties. just a little sidenote. i want her to bark healthy.. no popping. please help.
Old 03-13-2005, 10:24 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
The PAIR system injects air into the exhaust to burn unburned gasses. It's likely this is what you are hearing. If you don't like it, you can easily remove the PAIR
Old 03-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Re: BACKFIRE POP POP OUT OF PIPES! HELP!

the backfiring is the PAIR SYSTEM? i always thought i needed to adjust to have more air in than fuel cus its running too rich. i mean its loud .... like how harleys do.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Yup, the culprit is the PAIR system. I've gotten used to the popping, though, so for me it's not annoying anymore.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:02 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

ok, fair enough then.... guess ill deal with the pair system this weekend. cant you get popping through the exhaust from too rich of a mixture? just as a side thought.... always thought that was it with my old bikes.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:09 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Originally Posted by ClevelandSuperhawkRumble";p=&quot

ok, fair enough then.... guess ill deal with the pair system this weekend. cant you get popping through the exhaust from too rich of a mixture? just as a side thought.... always thought that was it with my old bikes.
Your diagnosis was a good guess and fueling will be your next step if disconnecting the PAIR doesn't eliminate your problem.