General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Backfire

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:25 AM
Squid

LeanRider is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Backfire

My first post here so let me introduce myself.
I acquired 1998 super hawk recently with 38000km on gauges.
Bike seem to be running fine with decent power and pull good handling as well, not what I am used to my last bike was 2005 ZX10R so I am running short for some 60-70 ponies, but bikes performs much better than what I was expecting, Still getting used to all the vibrations this thing produce.
I had K&N air filter installed and set of brand new Kerker carbon pipes (awesome sound)
Problem I am experiencing now is backfire a lots of backfire at low RPM on deceleration, city driving first, second & third gear.
Is the DynoJet stage 1 solution ?
Also I am new to V-Twin is it good idea to use full synthetic as engine oil ?
Any ides solving this problem will be appreciated

Thanks
Old 04-24-2007, 07:44 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
its your PAIR valve. its completely normal. you can remove the pair valve and get blockoff plates. that will fix it. or you can just leave it alone, it won't hurt anything. I'm getting mine done this week. if your bike hasn't been rejetted since you got the airfilter and the pipes, you're probably running a bit lean too. might want to rejet. I have a stage 1 dynojet kit and I've never had a problem. some people say that the dynojet kit is harder to install than the other brands. full synth oil is fine. I run partial synth myself. I use honda oil, but some guys on here just use mobil 1. and it will slowly eat oil over time. don't worry about it. its normal for big twins.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Squid

Thanks for that info.
I just had a chance to do that mod over the weekend, it helped it still backfires occasionally on hard deceleration but not that annoying as it used to be
Thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 10:44 AM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by swordfish
its your PAIR valve. its completely normal. you can remove the pair valve and get blockoff plates. that will fix it. or you can just leave it alone, it won't hurt anything. I'm getting mine done this week. if your bike hasn't been rejetted since you got the airfilter and the pipes, you're probably running a bit lean too. might want to rejet. I have a stage 1 dynojet kit and I've never had a problem. some people say that the dynojet kit is harder to install than the other brands. full synth oil is fine. I run partial synth myself. I use honda oil, but some guys on here just use mobil 1. and it will slowly eat oil over time. don't worry about it. its normal for big twins.
If the pair valve is working correctly it should block off air under engine vacuum. Popping means it is malfunctioning. btw, backfires come out of the carbs, explosions in the exhaust is just called "popping".
Do not run you bike like this because it will scorch your exhaust valves and seats and eventually build up carbon on one side of the exhaust valve seats and bend all your exhaust valves. Think of the popping as explosion right near the exhaust valves while they are open.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
I didnt realise the popping was bad. I kinda like that sound on decel.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The combustion starts in the exhaust port but is carried into the headers, not back to the valve. PAIR will not damage valves, period.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Squid

G-Money0420 is on a distinguished road
Ok, I guess I got a question then? I'm having issues with backfire thru the carbs when riding around town at/or between 3500-4000 rpm. I changed my plugs, which had 10k on them, and that seemed to help a little but it is still happening. I have MIG exhaust that are now wide open, Dynojet kit installed and everything that can be done to the carbs as per Greg's website. What do I do?
Old 05-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Squid

Than problem I have is popping on exhaust not backfiring, I disabled pair valves it reduced popping for I can say 80%. Its still pops when decelerating from 3000-4000 rpm.
Also second problem I have is when driving at same rpm range 3000-4000 at study speed (not moving throttle) after 10-15 sec engine will start to cut off and occasionally strange noise will be emitted from engine.
I search form and find that this can be caused if carburetors are not synchronized, which is not a case I had them checked and vacuum gauge shows they run even trough all the rpm.
Also engine will occasionally quit at traffic light
Any ides what it can be?
Thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 06:40 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LeanRider
Than problem I have is popping on exhaust not backfiring, I disabled pair valves it reduced popping for I can say 80%. Its still pops when decelerating from 3000-4000 rpm.
Also second problem I have is when driving at same rpm range 3000-4000 at study speed (not moving throttle) after 10-15 sec engine will start to cut off and occasionally strange noise will be emitted from engine.
I search form and find that this can be caused if carburetors are not synchronized, which is not a case I had them checked and vacuum gauge shows they run even trough all the rpm.
Also engine will occasionally quit at traffic light
Any ides what it can be?
Thanks
Too lean, did you get that dynojet kit in ??
If so back up the needle one notch, if you haven't installed it yet, time to do it. Get the needle backed one notch from the instruction settings, it will save you some time
That goes for gmoney too lean outs induce backfires.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by gboezio
Too lean, did you get that dynojet kit in ??
If so back up the needle one notch, if you haven't installed it yet, time to do it. Get the needle backed one notch from the instruction settings, it will save you some time
That goes for gmoney too lean outs induce backfires.
Hmm I got myself a DynoJet stage 1 but after reading threads at this and other forums I find that that if not done using dyno at the shop it can cause lots of problems. I thought putting back the OEM air filter would be a better solution I do not know, what do you guys think?
Old 05-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
If you don't want to yank the carbs right away, yes, pulling the air filter in favor of the stocker will help.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 PM
Squid

notaduc is on a distinguished road
Popping or gun shot style backfire?

[first post - quasi-n00b here]

When I bought my VTR (used '98) in 2000, it had wicked gunshot sounding backfires going on. Blue flames out the back and all. It also reeked of gasoline after shutting it off. It turns out that the float valves in the carbs were sticking open, so fuel was still dumping in to the engine when the throttle was cut, then detonating in the hot headers.....

It from the discussion that you may be dealing with popping, not full on explosions in your exhaust, but what the hell I'll throw my $0.02 in to the mix.

-Jon in Sacto, CA
'98 VTR1000
Old 05-14-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Backfire through the carbs is a classic symptom of out of sync carbs. If they're in sync then the next course of action will be to check/adjust the TPS to ~500Ω. Then, if that still doesn't work adjust mixture screws to 2 - 2.25 turns out and check for intake/vacuum leaks.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Squid

Throwedsmurf is on a distinguished road
So flames out the exhaust is floats sticking? Damn I kind of liked seeing the flames at night! lol How harmfull is it to your engine? I hate carbs!!! Why can't everything just be fuel injected?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
The combustion starts in the exhaust port but is carried into the headers, not back to the valve. PAIR will not damage valves, period.
Thats not what I said. If the PAIR malfunctions it allows fresh air in while the engine is high under vacuum (engine braking or engine deceleration). When the pair is working correctly high intake vacuum closes the air supply to the exhaust. When air is allowed to flow under high vacuum it creates violent explosions right near the exhaust valves. When working correctly air is only allowed to flow if the air density and is ideal so that a continuous burn though the exhaust can be obtained. The amount of air pulled through the valve when under vacuum and also the air/fuel ratio when the engine is under vacuum are both reasons for the explosions (popping).
I have owned many bikes with this system and know 1st hand what it does. First it scorches the exhaust valves and then over time builds up carbon on the valve seat more often than not unevenly. In time the valve bends with the carbon buildup (takes between a couple to ten thousand miles). In the end you have to rebuild the head and if the valves are bent you will need new ones and if you have ever rebuilt a shim and bucket cam head you will know how much of a pain it is to get the clearances right. If your pair is malfunctioning either fix it or block it off right away.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Well, I agree with what you say on the operation of PAIR, but there's a couple things I don't agree with. For one, I think that it's pretty rare for the system to malfunction. I've not once heard of a VTR PAIR valve going bad and mucking up an engine. Second, the most violent explosion occurs in the combustion chamber, where high temperature combined with atomized, compressed mixture is ignited. I think the relatively mild combustion that occurs in the head is not going to damage the valves. The rapid velocity of the exhaust out of the head precludes the flame front moving back towards the valve(s). Lastly, the carbon buildup is most likely due to an overly rich condition, causing carbon buildup on the back side of the valve, probably in a low flow region. Carbon buildup on valves is most likely seen on intake valves, however, and is rare on exhaust valves due to the heat and lack of fuel. The purpose of the PAIR system is to burn any unused fuel in the exhaust and thus the lack of fuel precludes any carbon buildup.

Tell me if my reasoning is AFU.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:19 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Huge exhaust explosions won't hurt the exhaust valves, yuo can basically dynimite your exhaust pipe and no damage will be done to the valves, for starters, I nuked my CF pipe because of thousands of blasts in it until the rivets gave way. Pin the throttle, then hit the kill switch on and off, can't do worst than that and my exhaust valves are quite healty. The only thing that really can damage an exhaust valve is improper valve adjustement. The force needed to lift the valve from it's seat is way greater than what the poping can generate.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:48 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by LeanRider
Hmm I got myself a DynoJet stage 1 but after reading threads at this and other forums I find that that if not done using dyno at the shop it can cause lots of problems. I thought putting back the OEM air filter would be a better solution I do not know, what do you guys think?
Just pull the needle back one notch, no dyno required, simply give it a notch until the hesitation disappears and the plug turns from whitish to brown. You still need to tune for the exhaust, so better do it right.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:10 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I myself am no authority on the inner workings of 4 valve twins but the guy I talked to at my dealership used to race RC-51's and before I had the pair valve blocked off, he told me not to worry about the popping and gurgling on the decel. he said it was very common among twins and it wouldn't hurt anything. he was kinda surprised that I was going to the trouble of having the pair valve disabled at all.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:04 PM
Superstock

Well, I agree with what you say on the operation of PAIR, but there's a couple things I don't agree with. For one, I think that it's pretty rare for the system to malfunction. I've not once heard of a VTR PAIR valve going bad and mucking up an engine. Second, the most violent explosion occurs in the combustion chamber, where high temperature combined with atomized, compressed mixture is ignited. I think the relatively mild combustion that occurs in the head is not going to damage the valves. The rapid velocity of the exhaust out of the head precludes the flame front moving back towards the valve(s). Lastly, the carbon buildup is most likely due to an overly rich condition, causing carbon buildup on the back side of the valve, probably in a low flow region. Carbon buildup on valves is most likely seen on intake valves, however, and is rare on exhaust valves due to the heat and lack of fuel. The purpose of the PAIR system is to burn any unused fuel in the exhaust and thus the lack of fuel precludes any carbon buildup.

Tell me if my reasoning is AFU.
Your reasoning is intelligent and I'm not trying to argue but..

The problem is that these extra explosions are happening when the exhaust valves are open. When closed combustion is fine but when open the seating surfaces are left unprotected. Its just like when an engine (car or bike) has a leaky header gasket. It is very hard on the exhaust valves. Until you have seen the damage its hard to contemplate. I'll try to find some old pics I had illustrating this.
As far as the system malfunctioning it is very common. Here are a few scenarios.
1. vacuum hose from carb/intake becomes blocked, disconnected, pinched, or cracked. Result is valve not closing under vacuum creating popping.
2. air supply hoses are cracked or disconnected between the pair supply valve and pair intake cap, or pair intake cap gasket leaking resulting in sucking air. Result is popping under vacuum.
3. stuck pair supply valve not closing. Result is popping under vacuum.

If hooked up correctly you should not have popping unless you have leaky header gaskets or poor jetting coupled with a very open exhaust. The valve is there for a reason and it closes the air supply under vacuum for a reason. In my experience every time a friend's bike has these symptoms and the bike uses an emissions valve like the pair it is always the problem. Check the operation of the valve buy using a vacuum pump and blow through it. It should be closed when vacuum is applied then make sure all your hoses are hooked up and in good shape. After seeing the damage and without emissions tests in my area I usually install block-off plates.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Superstock

Huge exhaust explosions won't hurt the exhaust valves, yuo can basically dynimite your exhaust pipe and no damage will be done to the valves, for starters, I nuked my CF pipe because of thousands of blasts in it until the rivets gave way. Pin the throttle, then hit the kill switch on and off, can't do worst than that and my exhaust valves are quite healty. The only thing that really can damage an exhaust valve is improper valve adjustement. The force needed to lift the valve from it's seat is way greater than what the poping can generate.
You say unproperly adjusted valves are the only way to damage valves? Its not the only way but it is true that if clearances tighten over time and are not adjusted eventually the valves with remain slightly open and the valves and seats will be scorched over time during combustion. This is exactly what a bad pair valve does. Explosions near the valve while it is open. The popping doesn't need to open the valve the cam does that. Fresh o2 should not be introduced into the exhaust unless the exiting mixture is ideal. Ideal for a continuous burn, not and explosion.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
Back Marker

thegreep
Small question

Ok, I have a mercury syncing tool, my question is where do you attach it to these carbs to sync them?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by swordfish
I myself am no authority on the inner workings of 4 valve twins but the guy I talked to at my dealership used to race RC-51's and before I had the pair valve blocked off, he told me not to worry about the popping and gurgling on the decel. he said it was very common among twins and it wouldn't hurt anything. he was kinda surprised that I was going to the trouble of having the pair valve disabled at all.
If I had 5c for every time I got bad advice from a so called qualified source I'd be a rich man. If you want to ask someone who knows what they are talking about contact a Honda engineer preferably one that helped design the valve.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Superstock

Let me brake it down. The harder you pull on the throttle the more air volume enters the engine resulting in a bigger boom. Compression under throttle = 110-180+ depending on the engine. With the throttle closed compression is much lower (about 40psi lower but varies). Compression with high vacuum (24-29in) during engine decel is almost nothing. Compression is key for ignition and efficient combustion. Without sufficient compression pressures much of the fuel is not burned and the hot mixture exits the exhaust and then should not be mixed with an excess of fresh cool o2. That is why the valve closes under vacuum.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:44 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

The very first alteration we made with an aftermarket exhaust is causing the problem, the cam is tuned for stock restriction, by opening up the exhaust more unburnt gases make it out of the exhaust port before the valve closes, this is the price to pay for the better filling of the unswept volume during overlap.

I agree that there is other ways to kill a valve(money shift for example), I'm just skeptical on how a valve can be damaged by exhaust afterburn, I have a tendency to put this on the myth category, the unlikely scenario I can think of is that the exhaust valve is blasted open and bounce back on his seat or get hit by the piston(unlikely since the pressure on the exhaust would need to beat the pressure inside+spring) ; very unlikely, the spring force is just too great and the poping pressure tends to rush to the open end.
I don't question that some people have seen damage, I will question the cause/effect relation ; most destroyed valves are from lean burn and detonation, a lean condition will create misfires and some afterburn, the poping is induced by the lean condition as well as the engine failure, not the engine failure from the afterburn. So the guy takes his engine apart and says "the damn thing was like a shotgun" and find his valves and maybe the whole engine banged up and goes"see, the backfires killed my engine..."
Old 05-16-2007, 12:30 AM
Superstock

I agree that there is other ways to kill a valve(money shift for example), I'm just skeptical on how a valve can be damaged by exhaust afterburn, I have a tendency to put this on the myth category, the unlikely scenario I can think of is that the exhaust valve is blasted open and bounce back on his seat or get hit by the piston(unlikely since the pressure on the exhaust would need to beat the pressure inside+spring) ; very unlikely, the spring force is just too great and the poping pressure tends to rush to the open end.
I don't question that some people have seen damage, I will question the cause/effect relation ; most destroyed valves are from lean burn and detonation, a lean condition will create misfires and some afterburn, the poping is induced by the lean condition as well as the engine failure, not the engine failure from the afterburn. So the guy takes his engine apart and says "the damn thing was like a shotgun" and find his valves and maybe the whole engine banged up and goes"see, the backfires killed my engine..."
The valve cannot be blasted open. The cam will not allow it. That is not what I meant. The exhaust gas is pushed out the cylinder and the fresh air is injected right next to the valve stem, literally the exhaust gas gets push right into the fresh air. Obviously the exhaust valve is still open when it is pushing the exhausted fuel out. Thats when the "pop" happens. The valve and seat are open and right next to the explosion. When under heavy vacuum its possible that the pressure in the exhaust is higher than in the cylinder when the exhaust valve just starts to open and some of the fresh o2 is sucked into the combustion chamber basically bringing that pop right into valve/seat territory. The damaged bikes I've seen are bone stock and otherwise very good running machines. A bike will run with scorched valves and/or bent valves for quite a while as long as they are the valves are seating. Usually the motors are torn down for other reasons and then the owner is stuck rebuilding a costly head because obviously you can't put it back together in that sort of shape. As far as "bent" I don't mean bent like if your cam chain skipped and the piston smacked them, I mean you have to look close to see but ultimately they are not serviceable meaning they cannot be ground and have to be replaced. Most modern performance engines do not use adjustable rocker arms. The cam sits right on top of the shim bucket. The only way to regain clearance is to put smaller shims in or grind the top of the valve stem and remember you are talking about hundredths of a millimeter. When you grind the seats and valves(if they are serviceable). You reduce clearance so much you cannot even get close with the smallest shims. You end up slowly grinding away at the valve hoping to keep within the service limit of the keepers otherwise the valves can not be used. You can tell by the long winded explanation it is not fun.

Anyways believe me or not but thats my .02... Actually that was about a buck fifty.
Good brainstorm session though I don't get to wax intellectual about bikes too often. Most people I ride with can barely change their oil.

One more thing...

BLOCK-OFF PLATES ARE GOOD!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:12 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

I agree that this is a good discussion, well I'm the scientific kind, since I'll tear my engine apart next winter and I abused my bike a lot in this kind of way on purpose, I will simply check them for trueness. The leakdown tests are very good tough 2 % on both.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:55 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Speed,

How do you explain the carbon buildup on the exhaust valves based on PAIR malfunction?
Old 05-17-2007, 01:17 AM
Superstock

Speed,

How do you explain the carbon buildup on the exhaust valves based on PAIR malfunction?
The dirty explosion blasts toward the valve and can directly hit part of the seat while the protected side gets minimal coating. It has to do with the exhaust exit angle relative to the valve seat. The whole valve seat gets coated but usually one side gets it worse and builds over time. Its hard to explain but if you saw it you would agree. Its like spraying paint into the exhaust exit, one side of the seat would get a good coat while some would get a light fogging. I wouldn't of guessed this as a result if I hadn't seen it on two different bikes.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:08 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Carbon buildup is soot. Soot comes from incomplete combustion. The whole purpose of the PAIR system is to ensure complete combustion (no unburnt fuel out the exhaust). This is the problem I am having with your explanation.

Quick Reply: Backfire