Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

back to garage (lost both sparks)

Old 06-30-2011, 01:06 PM
  #1  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Serbia, Belgrade
Posts: 41
simone is on a distinguished road
back to garage (lost both sparks)

hi everybody
need an advice please

3 day ago i opened front cylinder lid to check if the bolts are in place and tightened for i have replaced exhaust valves 500km ago. everything seemed ok so i reassembled it. than i rode it for a while but the rain caught me so i had to return home. but yesterday when i started it i sensed kind of a strange smell kinda like overheated plastics or isolation. i assumed its oil burning cause i have touched exhaust with dirty hands, so i went for a ride. after few km's i felt briefly engine choking . strange but still working. pulled over for traffic lights rev it few times every thing seemed ok so i continued the ride and after a while jolting started and than it went dead. i tried to start it again but no success.

today i have opened it checked the fuel everything fine and than i found out that there is no sparks on both cylinders.

could it be because of the humidity, cause i have ridden it for 20km's in rainy weather?

does anyone had a similar problem. any kind of tip would be helpful

thanks
simone is offline  
Old 06-30-2011, 01:44 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
thetophatflash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nooksack WA
Posts: 831
thetophatflash
Your regulator/rectifier is probably toast. Take off the tail piece and you can get a good visual.
thetophatflash is offline  
Old 06-30-2011, 02:27 PM
  #3  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Serbia, Belgrade
Posts: 41
simone is on a distinguished road
but isn't that device part of a battery charging system? i have problem with sparks not battery...

Last edited by simone; 06-30-2011 at 02:32 PM.
simone is offline  
Old 06-30-2011, 03:37 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5
jds03 is on a distinguished road
Go look at the RR. Mine wasn't burnt, kept blowing the main fuse, no spark. It was the RR.
jds03 is offline  
Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 PM
  #5  
Mid-level Member
Superstock
 
fred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 268
fred
i expect that'll be the next thing to fail when i finally finish with the cyl-head pull and valve inspection and get this bike back on the road... i only have experience with Hondas. my NT650 will be running strong long after i'm dead and gone. but the Superhawk is another story. is this a relatively high-maintenance bike?
fred is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 05:28 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Blue Rock, Ohio
Posts: 7
beegreenstrings is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thetophatflash View Post
Your regulator/rectifier is probably toast. Take off the tail piece and you can get a good visual.

I am a new guy (my registration has been hosed for 4 months now, sorry but it was just fixed yesterday), but I have had a Reg Rec already melt through itself...
I doubt this is the issue. I replaced the battery even with the smoked reg rec and it still started right back up.

Sounds to me like you need to check your fuses first. Then start at the ignition system and work your way back. You would have had to pull the plugs and wires when doing your work. Start at the plug and work backwards.
beegreenstrings is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 08:31 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Superstock
 
bass4dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Posts: 258
bass4dude is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fred View Post
i expect that'll be the next thing to fail when i finally finish with the cyl-head pull and valve inspection and get this bike back on the road... i only have experience with Hondas. my NT650 will be running strong long after i'm dead and gone. but the Superhawk is another story. is this a relatively high-maintenance bike?

Not once you fix what the manufactures saw as "quirks" of the bike =)

Replace your R/R and OEM CCTs then you've got a gem!

And as for OP, if you can crank and still no spark then use a multimeter and check against the service manual for what could be going on, it's free somewhere on the knowledge base if you don't already have it. If the main fuse would have blown you'd have a completely dead bike but there's no harm in checking it anyways =) if you see corrosion on any electrical parts then grab some QD and steel wool.

Other than that, check the main pulse generator connector, it's behind your left side radiator and right against the engine, if at one point when you were changing your valves and moved this so that it's fried itself against the engine than that could be your problem. They're pretty heat resistant but weirder things have happened.

It's not likely that it it's because you haven't ridden in the rain unless you left your rear fender off and all those little electronical-like pieces needed a bath!

Last edited by bass4dude; 07-01-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: dyslexia
bass4dude is offline  
Old 07-01-2011, 09:42 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
lazn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,132
lazn is on a distinguished road
Check fuses first.

I also think a bad R/R fried some fuses..
lazn is offline  
Old 07-06-2011, 02:59 AM
  #9  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Serbia, Belgrade
Posts: 41
simone is on a distinguished road
guys you were right it was R/R. negative wire that goes on R/R was fried .
however the part was not original from sh i think it's cbr's it has a pretty big heat sink but still managed to burn itself.
so now i'mm considering to replace it with r1 R/R like someone suggested on this forum does anybody have any experience with that?
Attached Thumbnails back to garage (lost both sparks)-2011-07-06-11.30.34.jpg   back to garage (lost both sparks)-2011-07-06-11.30.55.jpg  
simone is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 AM
  #10  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Serbia, Belgrade
Posts: 41
simone is on a distinguished road
that's what i was afraid of. replaced R/R and still no spark. checked side stand switch, kill switch, clutch switch, checked main fuse and all other fuses everything is in place but still no sparks. what else can i check, in other words what else can bad R/R damage.
how can i check ICM
i also checked the pulse generator with my multimeter and i got no voltage at all but i cant tell whether it is because low impedance of multimeter or the pulse generator is faulty

please help me... any suggestion
simone is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 11:03 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 201
msethhunter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by simone View Post
that's what i was afraid of. replaced R/R and still no spark. checked side stand switch, kill switch, clutch switch, checked main fuse and all other fuses everything is in place but still no sparks. what else can i check, in other words what else can bad R/R damage.
how can i check ICM
i also checked the pulse generator with my multimeter and i got no voltage at all but i cant tell whether it is because low impedance of multimeter or the pulse generator is faulty

please help me... any suggestion

Sounds like you need to dig into the FSM and start troubleshooting.
msethhunter is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 11:42 AM
  #12  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Serbia, Belgrade
Posts: 41
simone is on a distinguished road
yes i know... i already did that and imm going to continue with troubleshooting i just wanna know if someone had the same problem to tell me is there some particular part that i should check related to R/R failure
simone is offline  
Old 07-07-2011, 11:59 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 201
msethhunter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by simone View Post
yes i know... i already did that and imm going to continue with troubleshooting i just wanna know if someone had the same problem to tell me is there some particular part that i should check related to R/R failure

Thats kind of a loaded question. If your R/R went out, it could have sent WAY to much voltage to many different components, and fried a number of things.
msethhunter is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 AM
  #14  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Serbia, Belgrade
Posts: 41
simone is on a distinguished road
ripped black/white wire on converter unit.
maybe that is the reason why R/R failed.

now i have new from yamaha r1 2005 i think its mosfet not sure.

one more question with engine not running i have 13.3v on terminals with running engine 13.8v is that enough?
simone is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 11:06 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 201
msethhunter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by simone View Post
ripped black/white wire on converter unit.
maybe that is the reason why R/R failed.

now i have new from yamaha r1 2005 i think its mosfet not sure.

one more question with engine not running i have 13.3v on terminals with running engine 13.8v is that enough?

Yeah. A tiny bit low (by about .1/.2 volts) but it's enough. Max would be about 14.4 running, and min would be about 13.8. Was this at idle or at RPM. It makes a difference. And thats a GREAT voltage for your battery.
msethhunter is offline  
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 PM
  #16  
Member
Squid
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Serbia, Belgrade
Posts: 41
simone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by msethhunter View Post
Yeah. A tiny bit low (by about .1/.2 volts) but it's enough. Max would be about 14.4 running, and min would be about 13.8. Was this at idle or at RPM. It makes a difference. And thats a GREAT voltage for your battery.
at idle its about 13,6 and at 3000 rpm its 13,8 and i noticed that my headlights are much brighter

thaks to everybody. another problem solved
cheers
simone is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Tormoz
Technical Discussion
22
08-28-2011 12:29 PM
simone
Technical Discussion
3
07-24-2011 07:59 PM
Lazy Lightning
Classifieds
0
06-11-2006 06:55 AM
Randman
Classifieds
1
05-22-2006 10:23 PM
Dutch
Technical Discussion
6
08-08-2005 10:52 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: back to garage (lost both sparks)


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:33 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands