Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Removing both wheels tips

Old 08-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Squid

Dutch
Removing both wheels tips

Anyone willing to share a tip for getting both wheels off the ground? I need to take both wheels in for tires and I've never done it on a bike without a center stand. I have my swing arm stand but it seems like there would be a lot of weight on the front for hoisting in my garage. Any other skillful advice (other than the obvious answer of buying a front-end stand) is much appreciated.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:54 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Removing both wheels tips

The only other way besides a floor motorcyle jack is a engine hoist. I know it sounds funny but before I bought my floor jack I used two or four tie downs around the frame. Just pop off the seat run them through the sub frame in the back and the frame rails in the front. Put them all through the hook and whalla you have a dangling two wheeler. That is if you have an engine hoist laying around.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:00 AM
MotoGP

Sorry it's been a long time since I've done it , it was the triples I used in the front not the frame. It works well it just sways a little bit.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:06 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Put the back in a rear stand. Pass a rope through the center of the steering head and put a decent sized knot in the bottom (or tie it around a piece of wood or something. I last used a socket. Hoist it to a beam in the ceiling with a comealong.

Or just buy a front stand too.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:57 AM
Back Marker

bkelsey
Has anyone tried a motorcycle jack? Sears has an $80 one and a $170 one. I don't know if they go low enough and what we have underneath to lift from.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:50 AM
MotoGP

Re: Removing both wheels tips

Yes I have one but it didn't come with the adapter so I had to rig two straight pieces of metal. Then I cut a piece of rubber from a tire so it doesn't slide around. I jack it up on the bottom of the engine, when you strap it down with the tie downs it's very sturdy. If they have one with the adapter I would recomend that but I would make some sort of template so you know the adapter will work. Put a piece of cardboard under the bike trace the engine and see if it will line up. Other than that I think it works very well, it raises it up about 2 feet or so off the ground. Which works perfect for a roller chair and the rear swingarm and front end are totally eccesable unlike with stands.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:52 AM
MotoGP

Sorry, I meant accessible.