Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

APE CCT's Pro series

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Squid

drgreenthumb04 is on a distinguished road
APE CCT's Pro series

I certainly do not want to beat the whole CCT issue to death, but I have not seen anything about the APE cam chain tensioners professional series.

I spoke to a representative at APE this afternoon and found that, as most of you know, the basic APE CCT can develope an oil weeping issue. According to the rep, the professional series fixes that problem.

They are not cheap though, at almost thirty bucks extra each at $89.95 versus the $59.95 for the basic ones.

I would suggest this for new S.H. owners who have not upgraded yet, or the meticulous owner who can't bare to see a drop of oil on their bike.

They can be found at the bottom of the following page:
Honda Cam Chain Tensioners

Last edited by drgreenthumb04; 07-07-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:35 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
So the implication is only "Pros" want a leak free CCT?
That is ignorance at its worst.
They fixed a known issue, good for them...
Sell the remaining stock on hand of the old style at cost or below, sell the new one as the current model for whatever the cost plus needed markup is to be cost effective, priced in the fair market level, and be profitable.

But it is insulting to sell a leak prone model and then along side it a much higher price "pro" model, whose only difference is a fixed design flaw.

APE, you missed the mark on this one..

Originally Posted by drgreenthumb04
I certainly do not want to beat the whole CCT issue to death, but I have not seen anything about the APE cam chain tensioners professional series.

I spoke to a representative at APE this afternoon and found that, as most of you know, the basic APE CCT can develope an oil weeping issue. According to the rep, the professional series fixes that problem.

They are not cheap though, at almost thirty bucks extra each at $89.95 versus the $59.95 for the basic ones.

I would suggest this for new S.H. owners who have not upgraded yet, or the meticulous owner who can't bare to see a drop of oil on their bike.

They can be found at the bottom of the following page:
Honda Cam Chain Tensioners
Old 07-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Squid

drgreenthumb04 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
So the implication is only "Pros" want a leak free CCT?
That is ignorance at its worst.
They fixed a known issue, good for them...
Sell the remaining stock on hand of the old style at cost or below, sell the new one as the current model for whatever the cost plus needed markup is to be cost effective, priced in the fair market level, and be profitable.

But it is insulting to sell a leak prone model and then along side it a much higher price "pro" model, whose only difference is a fixed design flaw.

APE, you missed the mark on this one..

I agree. The older models should have been recalled, discontinued and customers receive the upgraded model.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:11 PM
Night Rider
Squid

Apocalypse is on a distinguished road
I would just get the CTT's from Kregier they are what i have used on all of my Hawks and they work great not only do they not leak but they are way cheaper then the ape cct's at least when i bought them 2 Years ago they where.

Heres a link to his website: VTR1000 S'hawk/F'storm
Old 07-15-2016, 06:51 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by drgreenthumb04
I agree. The older models should have been recalled, discontinued and customers receive the upgraded model.
Well i would not say recalled, they do not fail, they just weep a bit and a better design was made..
Nor do I feel they owe me a replacement.. Part designs are upgraded, modernized all the time.... a business would never do so if the consumer demanded free replacements for life...

The point was, they changed the design for the better, but still sell the older design that is known to weep a bit of oil.. calling the new design the "Pro" model making the leaking design the "non Pro" model

I'd like it better if they just said that.

APE CCT :Old design, we will sell you cheap, but it leaks a bit.
APE CCT: New Design it leaks less and we will charge you more for this one.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:07 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
APE CCT: Latest "ALL NEW" design hardly leaks at all and if you have to ask, you can't afford it.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:51 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
I've had old APE ones on mine for many a year and 30,000 miles and when I installed it I put some blue gasket silicon on the thread and it hasn't leaked. Simples.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:12 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Apocalypse
I would just get the CTT's from Kregier they are what i have used on all of my Hawks and they work great not only do they not leak but they are way cheaper then the ape cct's at least when i bought them 2 Years ago they where.

Heres a link to his website: VTR1000 S'hawk/F'storm
Except they do weep oil, exactly like the older APE style.. Same issues as its the same design... they work, but they do weep oil..