Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Any one have suggestions for leaking fluid from clutch assembly.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Squid

johnclopp85 is on a distinguished road
Any one have suggestions for leaking fluid from clutch assembly.

Hi,

I just bought my 2001 super hawk a month ago. You would never guess it, but the first day I got it home it fell over. I have a dirt driveway and had to give my dad a hand, so I threw down the kick stand really fast. I looked back 15 minutes later and the bike fell over. The turn signal was smashed rest was cosmetic but not bad. I was able to fix the turn signal. However, I noticed that day that fluid was slowly leaking from the clutch assembly. I was unable to find exactly where from, but it only leaks while I'm riding the bike. The only thing I can think is maybe a rod got bent when the bike tipped over; because I know the clutch lever hit the ground, it was scuffed up. Any ideas and input would be greatly considered I'm no master mechanic but I know my way around the shop. Thanks
Old 05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Where is it leaking? and what is it leaking? If its clutch fluid then check the master/slave cylinders and check the line.If its leaking from the clutch assembly,then its likely to be oil.That could be coming from a cracked cover,broken sight window or maybe even a damaged filler plug.Take a good look and find out exactly whats leaking and from where.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Squid

Its leaking some where in the clutch I can't pin point it, but its leaking down my clutch lever. As far as what its leaking is dot 4 brake fluid.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:58 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The easy thing to check is that the banjo bolt is tight, after that make sure the line to the reservoir is ok and good, and that the reservoir is not cracked.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Squid

Ill check tonight when I get home from work. I'm pretty sure the reservoir isn't cracked not sure what a bango bolt is but ill look into it.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:37 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The banjo bolt is the bolt that goes through the end of the hose that goes from the clutch lever to the clutch in the engine.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/images/Goodrich-SS/TJ-SS07.jpg
Old 05-05-2009, 03:31 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I had a similar problem with the RC51 front brake leaking. It was wrecked previously and I thought I had fixed everything. After putting some stainless lines up front I noticed that there was just a little bit of fluid running downand every now and then I would see a drop or 2 while riding. Checked and rechecked my work, everything was good. Turns out there was a hairline crack in the bottom of the plastic reservoir that was barely visible.

If your clutch reservoir hit the ground and got pushed a little it may have put a small fracture in the somewhat brittle plastic. Or the piston just got jammed in from the fall and damaged some of the internals.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
The other possibility is that it is merely a coincidence you noticed it after the bike fell over. It may be a case of the master cylinder needing reconditioning. Pull the rubber boot back from the piston to see if that is where the fluid is coming from.