Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

another battery charging question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 04:46 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
another battery charging question...

I've read almost every thread on regulator/rectifier issues and I'm still confused... I do know however that my battery definetely isn't charging while riding.

symptoms: Got the bike Mon, battery dead on Tues. Replaced with brand new one. Killed that one on Thursday when I noticed my guage cluster going out and my headlight shutting off.... Checked rectifier and it appear to check out OTHER then 1 reading on continuity between the input port and 1 yellow wire. It goes up to 2V then reads OL... You take the multimeter lead off and do it again and same thing... Connector is clean with no burn marks at all, and the rectifier looks fine as well. No bubbling or anything. Next I guess is the stator. Here's the one where I'm a little confused on how to test. Also I'm semi-puzzled as I've not read almost anyone having issues with the stator on this bike. Only the rectifier... Would a bad ground possibly be the issue?? At idle battery reads exactly what it was at startup... At 2500-5000rpm is the same thing... No change... I'll get some pictures of what I'm talking about with the regulator/rectifier tomorrow. And take a picture of what I'm pretty sure the stator leads are...

This has been quite frustrating considering I JUST got the bike on Monday...
Old 11-06-2005, 10:33 PM
SuperBike

Re: another battery charging question...

also is the stator compatible with anything else? I figure since I'm still using a honda r/r it's not gonna hurt to buy a used r1 or gixxer one off of ebay for cheap and replace it as preventitive anyways.... but the stator is a diff story... *crosses fingers that it's the r/r and not the stator or even worse a bad ground or short somewhere...*
Old 11-07-2005, 06:28 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
If you have a continuity error, the regulator is bad. Regulator failures are common, particularly with the old, unfinned version. Stator failures have become increasingly uncommon unless the bike was dropped.

But why guess? Follow the procedure in the manual to know for sure. Download it here:

http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=41567
Old 11-07-2005, 07:50 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
IIRC, the gound for the R/R is the main one that is easy to get to. It's on the rear case near the shock.

It sounds like you're running a total loss system (no charging). Throw the battery on a charger and the bike will again run normally until the battery voltage gets low. Note: you can run a long time like this if you unhook the headlight (limp home mode).

Judging by internet boards, stators have a low fail rate. It's usually a weak battery, R/R or bad wiring/connectors.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:43 AM
SuperBike

well what I'm gonna do is get a r/r from a r1 or gixxer and use the tutorials on here to swap it on. I can grab one for about $40 or so off of ebay and if that fixes it then score. If not then I have bigger issues. And I've done limp mode before. Thing is it's a new battery and I've probably already reduced it's life by a lot... wonder if they'll exchange it for me...
Old 04-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Back Marker

Blurr is on a distinguished road
Yeah I am in the same boat, I have a brand new RR and a brand new battery lasted about 2 weeks now its dead again. Is there a TEST to see if its the stator ? Not sure what else to do, both the battery and RR are brand new so I am not sure, bike runs fine, lights flicker here and there when it first starts up and the LCD with the milage cuts out once in awhile and now when I went to ride it didnt have enough to start........

Is it a bad stator? How do I test it ? How hard is is to replace yourself ?