Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

About to install APE CCT's

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 08:55 AM
Back Marker

roadrun_fr
Re: About to install APE CCT's

Yep understood for "finding rear TDC by removing rear cover and then ccwise to reach front TDC" ;-)

I was just wondering about the first procedure you posted, "remove right front bolt to check front TDC then ccwise to reach rear TDC". Should be more easy ;-)
Old 08-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk

Originally Posted by roadrun_fr";p=&quot
I was just wondering about your initial procedure "looking at the front to find TDC" ...
OK, To answer 'Why' ..... You need to start from a 'known point'. To simply rotate the crank to the 'FT' mark for the front cyl does not tell you it is at TDC. The cam is at one of two possible positions. The point of pulling the bolt and looking will tell you for sure. You'll need a small flashlight and it would be a bit easier to see if you have a helper rotating the crank while you do the looking. Just have them call out when the 'FT' mark comes up and you'll be able to tell if you are seeing the peak (high point) or base (low point) on the lobe.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:18 AM
Back Marker

roadrun_fr

Ok thanks.
Now, How should I remove the stock CCT ?
Do I have to use the specific tool to tighten the spring and block it before removing the two bolts of CCT ?
Which parts of the bike should I remove to uninstall/reinstall front CCT ?
Old 08-15-2005, 07:51 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
roadrun_fr
If you are just removing the auto-cct and planning to reinstall a manual cct you can just unbolt the auto and pull it out without any special tool. The plunger will be under tension and force the cct out as you unbolt it. If you were reinstalling the auto-cct then you would need something to retract the plunger. Some people use a small screw driver, Honda makes a tool but you don't need it. Obviously to install a manual cct you won't need any special tools.

To get at the front cct I found it easier to remove the tank and upper/lower airbox. You may be able to do the job without doing so but it's a tight space to work in up front.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:10 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Take the time to make the retraction tool (10 minutes) as indicated in the manual. Pulling it out under tension is not a good idea.

If you decide to ignore my advice, loosen the bolts evenly in order to sacrifice the last bit of case thread evenly.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Back Marker

roadrun_fr

Without the special tool, unbolting the auto CCT, it will jump at me and will I take the risk that something in the motor ?
If I use a small screw driver to retract the plunger, will it be difficult to keep it blocked while I remove the bolts of the auto CCT ?
Old 08-15-2005, 08:20 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

99Hawk
roadrun_fr
It won't jump out, no parts will fall off. Either it will slowly be pushed out as you remove the last bolt OR the gasket will hold it after you remove both bolts. Just tap it to break the gasket hold and it will then pop out into your hand.
Honda's plunger tool holds the spring pressure, if you use a screw driver you almost need a third hand to keep the spring retracted. For removal you really don't need to do either.