Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

2001 or newer instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
2001 or newer instrument cluster

Does anyone know if you can install a 2001 or newer cluster on a 1999 VTR without rewire? I would love to have the fuel guage.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Just Ride
Squid

JoedresVTR is on a distinguished road
Not having a fuel guage makes riding exciting... I know that around 110 miles my reserve light will come on and I only have 21-29 miles until I run out of fuel. Kinda a rush when you are in the middle of nowhere figuring out different ways to conserve fuel.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:59 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
It is not a simple swap, but it can be done:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=18240
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JoedresVTR
Not having a fuel guage makes riding exciting... I know that around 110 miles my reserve light will come on and I only have 21-29 miles until I run out of fuel. Kinda a rush when you are in the middle of nowhere figuring out different ways to conserve fuel.
If you think that is fun wait until you're running her hard one day and the RLOD (Red Light Of Death) turns on at 80 mi...... Been there & done that..
Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Back Marker

Forde is on a distinguished road
lol, in ireland its that small a place that your never more than 20 miles from a petrol station haha

the new cluster looks badass tho

couldnt you buy a fuel guage just and install it with the sensor in the tank?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:41 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Forde
lol, in ireland its that small a place that your never more than 20 miles from a petrol station haha

the new cluster looks badass tho

couldnt you buy a fuel guage just and install it with the sensor in the tank?
The sensor that is in the tank does not measure level, so you'd have to replace that.. and it would have to be with one matched to whatever gauge you get, and one that fits the tank. Realistically, as involved as going to the 01+ instruments is, that is the easier option.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Negatives are that the newer gauge has less arc making the spedo harder to read and the fuel gauge is not at all linear coming off full immediately and down to half shortly thereafter.
The only real gain is a clock and a second trip meter. Two trip meters on a vehicle with a 120mile range!
My suggestion - look at your watch when your filling up
Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Wrench Bender
Squid

The problem that I have had so far (new VTR owner) is that on the highway it seems to get 40 mpg @ 75 mph 4300 rpm. In town maybe 25 mpg. I have not really gotten on it too much while I am still getting to know her. So do I expect 25 MPG on the twisties with my 3.5 gallon tank? That is not very many turns before you break out the hiking shoes!

When I rode my dirt bike in the desert I carried a camelback full of gas to stretch the tank. I guess this habit won't die. Just don't take a drink!

By the way, I sold the 2001 XR 400 and took the money and bought this 99 VTR, a new helmet, a year of insurance, and the registration. People have to really rethink the value of these. There is no way this should be a $2k bike, more like $4k.

Last edited by mhaisten; 12-15-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:12 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Wow! 25mpg seriously sucks. SHawks are thirsty, but I have not personally seen less than 35. Did the PO jet her? Perhaps she is running rich.
And yes the SHawk is a kick *** bike for the $$$.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Wrench Bender
Squid

I am sure it is a little rich. So far I have figured out PAIR removed, all smog crap removed, Yosh RS3 full stinless system, K&N filter, 43 tooth rear, steering damper. I hope to find someone knolageible in VTR totake a look at it. When I got it the vacuum line on the petcock was hooked to the drain side. Moved that to the correct position and it ran great. Now the petcock leaks from the drain side all the time. Waiting for the rebuild kit to show up.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by lazn
The sensor that is in the tank does not measure level, so you'd have to replace that.. and it would have to be with one matched to whatever gauge you get, and one that fits the tank. Realistically, as involved as going to the 01+ instruments is, that is the easier option.

no i didnt mean with the sensor that is in the tank for the low level light

i meant the new sensor that comes with the new guage, put it in the tank and no probs. wiring up one sensor is very easy compared to wiring up a whole cluster
Old 12-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Wow! 25mpg seriously sucks
thats just in town tho, thats not too bad.

twisties are nothing like town youll get different mpg then
Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mhaisten
I am sure it is a little rich. So far I have figured out PAIR removed, all smog crap removed, Yosh RS3 full stinless system, K&N filter, 43 tooth rear, steering damper. I hope to find someone knolageible in VTR totake a look at it. When I got it the vacuum line on the petcock was hooked to the drain side. Moved that to the correct position and it ran great. Now the petcock leaks from the drain side all the time. Waiting for the rebuild kit to show up.
Well if you ever make it over to the Bay Area, give me a shout and I can help you get dialed in.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:55 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Forde
no i didnt mean with the sensor that is in the tank for the low level light

i meant the new sensor that comes with the new guage, put it in the tank and no probs. wiring up one sensor is very easy compared to wiring up a whole cluster
well be aware the newer sensor doesn't fit the older tank without some modification.

The gas tank vent tube in the older tank is in the way of the float for the sensor.. So you need to modify the float arm to make it work.

And you'd need to find a gauge that works on the same resistances as the float sensor.

Really if you read that link I gave earlier, swapping the instruments is not hard. There is just one more sensor to swap (temperature) and then it is practically plug and play with making your own adapter with the wire colors even staying the same. (excepting one)
Old 12-17-2009, 01:52 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JoedresVTR

that happened to us one night, my fuel guage was jsut about to hit reserve, its 1 am, were in the middle of go damn no where. lol. someone mentioned a gas station up a road, so we went there, yeah closed, what a shock, lol.