Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Replace stock instrument cluster with Acewell 3915

Old 12-15-2006, 10:54 AM
Squid

Generation450X is on a distinguished road
Replace stock instrument cluster with Acewell 3915

I have a 2003 Superhawk and I have trouble accurately seeing the speedometer. (I'm getting old and farsighted). I purchased an Acewell 3915 speedomer that displays all readings digitally. This model speedometer will replace all the functions of the stock instrument cluster (RPM, Speed, turn signals, oil pressure, highbeam, odometer, tripmeter, cooling system temp, etc). These units are made in the UK and the US distributer is Electrosport in California.

http://www.electrosport.com/electros...eedo_3900.html

Electrosport has indicated that I merely need to splice the existing wires connected to the stock unit to the Acewell unit. I have not yet received the Acewell, so I havn't seen the installation manual. I have a Service Manual so that I can reference the wiring diagrams to identify the wires connected to the stock cluster.

Has anybody installed one of these and can you offer any suggestions? I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be an (instrument) cluster fu__.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Have you considered surgery, contacts, or bifocals? Seems that'd be easier and better for your eyes, rather than try to strain.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Squid

Generation450X is on a distinguished road
Geez Greg- They're not that bad (yet)! I have trouble clearly seeing small objects and print when they're 12 to 24 inches away. Low light conditions make it worse. I have 20/15 distance vision. I use glasses (+1.25 very mild) when working close up on my bike or reading. This all happened after turning 40 (I'm 45 now).

I think a digital instrument cluster is a great compromise- less risky, less expensive than surgery and it would bring the instruments up to current sport bike standards.

I ride AMA Enduros and use an ICO Enduro Computer which displays LARGE numbers which are easy to read when bouncing around. The ICO was the inspiration for replacing the 'Hawk speedo.

I'll detail my experience installing the Acewell and the results in this forum. I know others have expressed interest in digital instruments here, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig.

Take care...
Old 12-16-2006, 09:59 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I like the looks of the model you are going to use, please include some pics once you have it installed along with a synopsis of the install.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:17 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I agree that the numbers on the '03 speedo are ridiculously small and hard to read, especially at night. I am considering this type of upgrade as well.
Old 12-16-2006, 03:56 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
+2 on reading the speedo in low light.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:12 AM
Back Marker

NovaWildcat08
+3 on the speedo in general (size of numbers and location)

I mounted my bike computer on top of the cluster just under my windscreen so I didn't have to look so far down and to see the speedo. My eyes are fine though, just picky I guess.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
I am putting the 2700 on my 77 kz650 cafe racer...they have good stuff
Old 05-25-2009, 06:05 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
I see a 3913 but not a 3915?

Originally Posted by Generation450X
I have a 2003 Superhawk and I have trouble accurately seeing the speedometer. (I'm getting old and farsighted). I purchased an Acewell 3915 speedomer that displays all readings digitally. This model speedometer will replace all the functions of the stock instrument cluster (RPM, Speed, turn signals, oil pressure, highbeam, odometer, tripmeter, cooling system temp, etc). These units are made in the UK and the US distributer is Electrosport in California.

http://www.electrosport.com/electros...eedo_3900.html

Electrosport has indicated that I merely need to splice the existing wires connected to the stock unit to the Acewell unit. I have not yet received the Acewell, so I havn't seen the installation manual. I have a Service Manual so that I can reference the wiring diagrams to identify the wires connected to the stock cluster.

Has anybody installed one of these and can you offer any suggestions? I'm hoping this doesn't turn out to be an (instrument) cluster fu__.

Thanks!!!
http://www.electrosport.com/street/s...eries-3900.php

just a typo? or is there another model hidden somewhere...?
Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewto...&hilit=Acewell

Name:  ABCD0003-2.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  63.1 KB