Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

1998 issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Squid

Keith Newby is on a distinguished road
1998 issues

I just bought this bike with 39K miles...it had been sitting in a local airplane hangar for some time after the owner died. The person selling the bike said someone tried to get it running but it wouldn't take any revs off idle. I took the float bowls off and everything looked very clean but I cleaned the jets replacing the slow jet with a #48. the needle is aftermarket with 5 clip positions and both needle clips are in #3 position. I make the common mistake of putting the vacuum line on the petcock bottom feed instead of the connector at the back...I have to get back to that this weekend. I did get the bike to run and took it to the local gas station a mile away. On my way back the instrument panel died...no tach, no speedo, odometer or temp. But the bike still ran. Is this typically a connector issue (I hope)? If it were regulator related I would think the bike might not run (as if the battery were low). Before I forget, on the carbs there is a plastic vent connector which I beleive connected to the evaporative emmissions canister (california) at one time. Are they typically capped off or are they left to vent...through a filter?

I had a 89 NT650 for many years and lusted after a 996. I almost bought a 2000 when they went on sale but a friend talked me into his 98 Ducati 900CR ten years ago. Now it's time to show the Duc how it's done!

Keith
Old 03-08-2011, 04:13 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
welcome aboard Keith. I would get a manual or download it off this forum and check everything out before you find out the hard way. I would pull off the fairings and check all the wiring, fuses, and clean all the connectors. Check battery load test, charge etc. Check the TPS and carb sync and CCTs. Personally, I'd go over it with a fine tooth comb unless you have plenty of money to discover **** after it's too late. Doesn't cost anything except your time to check. It would also be good to check the valves because they may never have been done. Mine were out of spec at 25,000. Some suggestions.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:27 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
i had the same exact problem.the bike ran because it had enough juice to run the most important stuff.your battery is dead.but im sure when you charge.it will start without a problem.if it still has the stock r/r A.K.A. RECTIFIER,it needs to be changed.its not charging the battery.the R1 R/R is the most popular.that should get you going.a quick search should get you the instructions.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
The plastic fittings (there should be one on each carb) are for the float bowl vents and should be open. All vacuum connections are metal on these carbs.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Squid

Keith Newby is on a distinguished road
Great guys, thanks for the assistance. I did check the valves and only found one exhaust a bit tight...swapped the shim at a local dealer and all's well. Oil, coolant change, picking up plugs tonight on my way home from work. I may have been given false hope when the battery came up fast on the maintainer. It may have come up so quickly because it has limited reserve...I'll have it tested. And leave the float bowl vents open to atmosphere. Thanks again!