Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues
View Poll Results: How many people have had their shift lever pivot bolt rattle off?
Yes, I've been embarrasingly stranded for no good reason.
14.86%
No, I've not (yet) enjoyed that pleasure.
85.14%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

JMC swingarm clearance issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:21 PM
Squid

Autarkic is on a distinguished road
JMC swingarm clearance issues

Does anyone have any experience with a jmc swingarm on their hawk? Mine has an elliptical adjuster and is adjusted so the rear is nearly as high as possible. If I adjust it much lower, the tiny amount of chain slack is enough at idle to make my chain lightly bottom out on my exhaust and make an almost pleasant ringing sound . The reason this has presented itself as a problem is because I'd like to go up a few teeth in the rear and although I technically have enough adjusting room, I'm afraid it would start giving me clearance issues again. Just check out my gallery for some pics.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:44 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I don't have a jmc swing arm. Its an interesting design. If you are already having chain clearance issues it will only get worse with the larger diameter rear sprocket. Why do you have it adjusted to the highest setting now? I wonder how different the clearances would be by instead altering the ride height with a spacer under the shock mount (if you want it that high) and simply rotating the eccentric adjuster 180 degrees?

Is that eccentric design considered an advantage as a chain adjuster? It seems you can never separate maintaining appropriate chain length (as it stretches) from altering chassis geometry?

bill
Old 03-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Squid

Autarkic is on a distinguished road
I adore the jmc's looks, but it is a bit frustrating having to adjust ride height as a side-effect of adjusting my chain. The reason I have it at its tallest setting is because that's where my chain is at proper tension without draging on my pipes. Truth be told, I'd prefer it to be slightly lower.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:22 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure if you rotate it all the way around to the top, and again get the correct chain tension you will then be at around stock ride height. You'd have to measure for sure but JMC say the top half is close to stock height and the bottom arc is for raising ride height up to 16mm - which would be about the same as a 5mm shock spacer. I'd try rotating it around and remeasure the clearances and you might have enough.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:21 AM
Squid

mykrowsy
i voted yes, but i don't have a jmc swingarm and my shift lever didn't rattle off, it broke off and now i am without bike.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Old 04-23-2007, 07:53 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
What? Nobody's interested? Bwaahahahaha. DIE, spammer.