Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Regulator Swap...ground location

Old 03-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Back Marker

jefejrs is on a distinguished road
Regulator Swap...ground location

Hey all,

This may be a stupid question but I'm firing it out anyways. Searched the reg/rec threads and couldn't find it. Finished my swap, yellows to yellows, pos/neg direct to battery. Does the two wire ring ground connector need to be attached to the regulator mounting bolt? I attached it back further on the subframe. Not a problem to move it back, it was just a cleaner install back there in my case.. See pics.. thanks...
Attached Thumbnails Regulator Swap...ground location-img_20130306_174815_582-640x360-.jpg   Regulator Swap...ground location-img_20130306_174837_951-640x295-.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
i just did mine today too,just about same set up.
as long as the spot you have it in is paint free and bare metal to the loop,you will have good contact.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by saige View Post
i just did mine today too,just about same set up.
as long as the spot you have it in is paint free and bare metal to the loop,you will have good contact.
+1 any spot on the frame will do, as long as you have a good contact metal to metal.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Back Marker

Great...That's what I thought. Just wanted some confirmation...thanks as always...
Old 03-07-2013, 06:37 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is an unknown quantity at this point
Not ANY spot will do. I suggest running a ground to the subframe and also one straight to the battery. You'll thank me for it!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
What a coincidence this thread came up, according to tracking, mine is scheduled to be delivered today. How long does it take it install 15 -20 mins? Does it come with a wiring diagram or is it pretty straight forward?
Old 03-08-2013, 07:14 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty View Post
Not ANY spot will do. I suggest running a ground to the subframe and also one straight to the battery. You'll thank me for it!
Jamie, I meant any spot on the sub frame will do the job, a direct ground to the battery is always better though, the ground wires on these bikes are not the best to begin with, so if you can add ground that would be an improvement to the factory poor ground wires.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 AM
Back Marker

Crap.. now I'm getting lost. My reg/rec is connected directly to battery. Are we saying to add another ground in additon to the two green ring connector? My wiring knowledge is limited to following directions. Anyone care to elaborate on adding the ground?

Tebs, I thought it was easy but it seems I may have missed a preventative step. The harnesses from EB make it pretty easy as many threads suggest. There is a crazy amount of knowledge about this issue on here. I think I may be learning!!!

Last edited by jefejrs; 03-08-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:04 PM
SuperBike

Don't get stressed over this, I think you did a good job, It's just that there is always room for improvement, the wealth of knowledge here is awesome, but it is up to you to pick and choose how far you want to go with improvements for some of us it becomes like a religion and it is contagious I may add

Did you connect the R/R ground directly to the battery?
Old 03-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Back Marker

I have a tendency to "fix" things that are working well..and then they don't. I know this upgrade is well worth it. I had one go bad on this bike within the first year (bought new).

In pic I have the black wire going directly to the negative battery post. Is that considered the reg/rec's ground?
Attached Thumbnails Regulator Swap...ground location-presentation1.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jefejrs View Post
I have a tendency to "fix" things that are working well..and then they don't. I know this upgrade is well worth it. I had one go bad on this bike within the first year (bought new).

In pic I have the black wire going directly to the negative battery post. Is that considered the reg/rec's ground?
Yes... You're using an Eastern Beaver Harness I take it? Then it's all done...
Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by jefejrs View Post

Yes it is, you did the right thing no doubt. I can't remember from the top of my head, but I believe the other ground is for the older style R/R and is also grounding for something else. You can look up on the electrical diagram, should be one here on the forum somewhere, I believe Tweety put it in the Knowledge Base section.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Back Marker

Done and done..its an EB harness..thanks all...

Now about this CCT thing.....Just kidding...