SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   02 Regulator/rectifier ground wire missing??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/02-regulator-rectifier-ground-wire-missing-22897/)

NH-Archer 06-14-2010 04:23 PM

02 Regulator/rectifier ground wire missing???

1 Attachment(s)
So, I'm taking apart my newly purchased 02 SH to replace the regulator and realize that I don't have the green ground wire that is shown in the thread about "how to replace the regulator". It's the one with the eyelet that gets bolted to the mounting bolt/housing. Am I F'd up or is this right? I did several seaches for threads on this but no luck.... I thought SH's were all wired the same? Help a newbie out will ya????:confused:

NH-Archer 06-14-2010 04:42 PM

After seeing the thread on the differences between the years, does this mean there is no ground wire? Also, when testing the regulator, I did get a signal between the green terminal and the yellow terminal below it. Is that ok???? God, I'm clueless.

Tweety 06-14-2010 05:20 PM

Its fully possible that honda for whatever reason decided to not have the wiring harness grounded at that particular point in the later models... Dunno why though, and I maintain that it would be a stupid decision if they did so... But it wouldn't be their first...

As for testing the rectifier, have you had a look at the fault finding chart from electrosports? It outlines all the tests... If you measure between the green terminal on the plug and the yellow one there should not be continuity... On the R/R is another matter...

NH-Archer 06-14-2010 06:29 PM

I bought a new battery today and I'm waiting for my R1 regulator to come in, before I do anythng. I wanted to remove the regluator and prep it for the R1 unit, that's when I noticed the green wire missing. Also, I was trying to see if there was continuity (or not) on the regulator, to hopefully prove it to be bad.

Syclone 06-14-2010 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by NH-Archer (Post 270293)
So, I'm taking apart my newly purchased 02 SH to replace the regulator and realize that I don't have the green ground wire that is shown in the thread about "how to replace the regulator". It's the one with the eyelet that gets bolted to the mounting bolt/housing. Am I F'd up or is this right? I did several seaches for threads on this but no luck.... I thought SH's were all wired the same? Help a newbie out will ya????:confused:

Judging from the extra metal plate, someone has been there before, and they probably forgot or otherwise fubar'd the ground.

NH-Archer 06-15-2010 03:43 AM

After scolling through the knowledge based R/R thread, the last page shows a pics of someone's 05 SH with no green ground wire, I think I'm good to go.... pics are worth a million words!!!

doomcookie 06-15-2010 11:26 AM

what year r/1 r/r did you get? you didn't get the 04 model did ya? cause it wont fit in there if you do

NH-Archer 06-15-2010 11:47 AM

The R/R I got is for 98-01 Yamaha R1, simular to the one in the "How to" thread.

supermarto 06-15-2010 12:18 PM

Sorry I am late to this, but FWIW, my '02 wasn't grounded by wire either... I've been riding it for almost a year after swapping in a yzf600 R/R with no probs yet.

inderocker 06-15-2010 02:21 PM

The plate and missing ground wire are all OEM from 2001-2005. All is well my friend.

residentg 06-15-2010 07:37 PM

OK - you may all flame me for this question:

Is there a definative "best" RR replacement? The Eastern Beaver headlight relay is too much for the stock 2005 RR. I do not want to buy new, what is the "best" used replacement unit? There seems to be varied opinions on this. Thank you (I am bracing myself)... JB

Hawkrider 06-15-2010 07:50 PM

JB, you can't stress a R/R unless you pull NO power from the alternator. The more power that is used by the accessories on the bike, the LESS heat is generated on the R/R. If your battery is dying then you might have a bad R/R but it's not from the HIDs.

lazn 06-15-2010 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 270391)
OK - you may all flame me for this question:

Is there a definative "best" RR replacement? The Eastern Beaver headlight relay is too much for the stock 2005 RR. I do not want to buy new, what is the "best" used replacement unit? There seems to be varied opinions on this. Thank you (I am bracing myself)... JB

if you can find a used www.motovoltage.com unit?

residentg 06-16-2010 03:01 AM

The Eastern Beaver headlight relay harness connects the headlight directly to the battery. It uses relays to turn the headlight off when the starter button is pushed and to control high / low beam. I installed this in conjunction with a PIAA Xenon bulb. It works as advertised, the headlight is much brighter.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...s/h4_kits.html

The problem is that the battery is not charging sufficiently while riding. The sympton is that the bike runs fine, but the battery, which is 3-months old does not have enough juice to start the bike, it almost does, but not quite. We went on a 200-mile ride yesterday and it was the same at each gas-stop, almost turns over, but needed to bump start it each time. I have not done any testing yet, I am suspecting the RR, not that it has failed, but that it is simply not up to the task of the added current draw. If I replace it, I want to make the correct choice.

Thoughts? Thank you.

JB

NH-Archer 06-16-2010 03:25 AM

The plate and missing ground wire are all OEM from 2001-2005. All is well my friend.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I'm feeling better now.

Tweety 06-16-2010 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by residentg (Post 270417)
The Eastern Beaver headlight relay harness connects the headlight directly to the battery. It uses relays to turn the headlight off when the starter button is pushed and to control high / low beam. I installed this in conjunction with a PIAA Xenon bulb. It works as advertised, the headlight is much brighter.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...s/h4_kits.html

The problem is that the battery is not charging sufficiently while riding. The sympton is that the bike runs fine, but the battery, which is 3-months old does not have enough juice to start the bike, it almost does, but not quite. We went on a 200-mile ride yesterday and it was the same at each gas-stop, almost turns over, but needed to bump start it each time. I have not done any testing yet, I am suspecting the RR, not that it has failed, but that it is simply not up to the task of the added current draw. If I replace it, I want to make the correct choice.

Thoughts? Thank you.

JB

Go for a R1/R6 R/R 98 to 01 I believe, but duoble check those years...

NH-Archer 06-17-2010 10:02 AM

Well I just finished the R/R (98-01 R1) install and new battery. My SH has come to life!!! I put the meter on it and I'm getting 13.95 volts @ 3000 RPM's. Now I need to register and insure my new ride. Just to caps things off... I realize that this bike must have been a nightmare to the PO because of this R/R issue. Because of this forum, I might have just fixed an 8 year old problem. I have 3 receipts, one showing a replaced Honda R/R back in 05 with a battery and new tires.