Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Quiet Helmets ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Squid

rhu5
Re: Quiet Helmets ?

I picked up a pair of ear plugs yesterday, but they stuck out just a bit too much and I couldn't put my helmet on without yanking the plugs out .
I'll try to pick up some foam ones next time.

Arai has helmets to fit three different head shapes (read that somewhere). I think it's oval and round..... but I can't remember the 3rd type.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:30 AM
Superstock

woodman

triangular
Old 10-20-2005, 06:56 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rhu5";p=&quot
but I can't remember the 3rd type.
Blockhead.

On a more serious note, the package of orange soft earplugs in the hunting/gun section at walmart work very well and are comfortable. I stick a pair in every pocket of my riding gear plus my tank bag so I always have a backup, new pair handy. If you've ever dropped one in a puddle at a gas stop 200 miles from home, you know why it's nice to have backups WITH you!
Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Squid

rhu5

The shapes are "long oval, round oval and intermediate oval (whatever the heck that is ). Well Supe, I guess I'm off to Wal-Mart to pick up a pack of plugs.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
Known fact, Shoei's will be the quietest out of the bunch. Why? Because Shoei are the only helmet manufacturer that OWN and have thier own wind tunnel.

You'll also notice all Shoei's don't have the outer plates around the visors like Arai's and Suomy's do....that quiets down on the noise.

Suomy and Arais have the best ventilation, Suomy and Shoei have the best periphreals(sp?), Shoei is by far the quietest, but is also the heaviest out of all manufacturers.....even thier X-11, compared to a Corsair and S1R(top of the line versus top of the line)...it's the heaviest....
Old 01-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure how the Suomy Spec 1R Extreme compares, but the X11 carries its weight low on the helmet. IOW, it doesn't feel heavy on your head.

More ventilation = more noise

That's just the nature of the beast.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:31 AM
Back Marker

superbikemike

I can certainly agree that more ventilation = more noise. I picked up a Shark S500 Air that is by far the best ventilated helmet I've owned but also the loudest. Always had really quiet helmets and never wore earplugs but I do now!
Old 01-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Squid

SuperLoud

Originally Posted by rhu5";p=&quot
I picked up a pair of ear plugs yesterday, but they stuck out just a bit too much and I couldn't put my helmet on without yanking the plugs out .
I'll try to pick up some foam ones next time.
Go to Walgreens and get some silicone putty earplugs - you can wear them all day without any discomfort.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Back Marker

oicdn

If you want a good middle ground...get a Shoei RF1000. It's decently light, and the windnoise is minimal. If you buy the Shoei breathgaurd, the fogging is kept to a minimal.

They're super quiet, ventilate well, and fairly light.

I chose a Suomy S1R extreme for the ventilation periphreals (sp?) and the lightweight...it's the lightest, so it's light weight alone more than makes up for it's noise, not to mention the periphreals and insane ventilation....oh, and the graphics on Suomys are definitly the most detailed...
Old 01-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Squid

rhu5

Picked up some foam earplugs from a law enforcement store (the ones used for shooting... attached with a cord). They work great. Only problem is remembering to put them on before I ride.... nine years of riding without earplugs will do that.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:03 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Make sure to keep spares handy. One you start wearing them, it will become uncomfortable to ride without them. Lose/damage/soil a pair while on the road and it will be a long trip back home.

As a former long time Arai user, I quickly learned just how good ear plugs improved your riding. So much so that I've stuck some really dirty ones back in ears after not washing my hands from chain/tire pressure checks at a gas stop.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Squid

rhu5

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
Make sure to keep spares handy. One you start wearing them, it will become uncomfortable to ride without them. Lose/damage/soil a pair while on the road and it will be a long trip back home.

As a former long time Arai user, I quickly learned just how good ear plugs improved your riding. So much so that I've stuck some really dirty ones back in ears after not washing my hands from chain/tire pressure checks at a gas stop.
I've heard of wax build up but that's a little over the top . Thanks for the info. I purchased just a few pair the first time, but I'll load up next go round.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Squid

Nighthawk is on a distinguished road
I find my Nolan Helmet very quiet.. I can hear my own farts at 120km errr and smell em
Old 10-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
I have an Arai Astral . yes noise is there but with the right combo of noise cancelling earplugs and the right music ,awsome ----dont even here the cops LOL
Old 10-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Nighthawk
I find my Nolan Helmet very quiet.. I can hear my own farts at 120km errr and smell em
That right there would make me NOT want a Nolan. :P
Old 10-18-2006, 10:45 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...lmet-noise.htm