Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Quiet(er) aftermarket pipes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
Quiet(er) aftermarket pipes?

I'm running the Jardine high mounts and they are waking up the kids, my neighbors kids, and the kids down the street when I leave at the butt crack of dawn. I'm not really wanting to go back to stock, so are there any aftermarket pipes that are quieter but not completely stock? I might try to repack the jardines, but not sure it's going to help that much.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2009, 09:03 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Yeah even new they're pretty loud. Not as bad as say D&D's, but still loud. The only aftermarket pipes I've ever heard that were fairly quiet were Yoshimura slip ons. I even heard a shortened pair and they were still surprisingly quiet. Besides that I'd get a pair of stock pipes and start by drilling a few holes, and do a progressive bafflectomy until you get the sound you want. Oh and you can send me the Jardines
Old 09-04-2009, 09:34 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
My wife's Yoshimura slip-on on her SV650S is quieter than my stock SuperHawk cans with 32,000 miles on them. Great mellow sound from the Yosh though. And of course it would be louder on a VTR with 2 slip-ons.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:13 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Not all Yosh's are quiet, you'll want a set with the "Zyclone" baffle.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:33 AM
Back Marker

Kators is on a distinguished road
There is a guy out here where I live that has a hawk and he has jardine pipes. I don't think they sound much louder than my stockers, but maybe I am wrong?
Old 09-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
You may need to repack the mufflers.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:42 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Just_Nick
You may need to repack the mufflers.
There is no packing in the stock mufflers. If his stock mufflers areas loud as a pair of jardines then he must've bought the bike used and the p.o. did a bafflectomy. Or he's just deaf J/K
Old 09-05-2009, 09:47 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by inderocker
Not all Yosh's are quiet, you'll want a set with the "Zyclone" baffle.
Did they ever make race slip on's for the superhawk? I know they made that cool rc51 style low to high exit full race system awhile back for the superhawk & tl1000s, but I thought all the slip ons were the zyclone baffle.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Back Marker

Dave in NY is on a distinguished road
I've got the 'standard' Yosh slipons (low mount), and yes they're pretty quiet. I don't recall what the options were since I've had 'em so long, but mine are the RS3 stainless, I don't think the baffle is removable. They're louder than the stockers, but are more of a 'pleasant rumble' than wake-the-neighbors straight pipes.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
There is no packing in the stock mufflers. If his stock mufflers areas loud as a pair of jardines then he must've bought the bike used and the p.o. did a bafflectomy. Or he's just deaf J/K
I assume you didn't read the first post? He's running Jardine high-mounts.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:48 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Did they ever make race slip on's for the superhawk? I know they made that cool rc51 style low to high exit full race system awhile back for the superhawk & tl1000s, but I thought all the slip ons were the zyclone baffle.
When I was looking for a replacement for my Yosh's after I got rear-ended, I noticed quite a few sets that were just the standard RS3's.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:36 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dave in NY
I've got the 'standard' Yosh slipons (low mount), and yes they're pretty quiet. I don't recall what the options were since I've had 'em so long, but mine are the RS3 stainless, I don't think the baffle is removable. They're louder than the stockers, but are more of a 'pleasant rumble' than wake-the-neighbors straight pipes.
+1
Old 09-05-2009, 09:44 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Just_Nick
I assume you didn't read the first post? He's running Jardine high-mounts.
Sorry, in the post just before you kators said his stockers were as loud as a pair of jardines. I thought you were telling him to repack his.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Squid
Squid

fpalbrecht is on a distinguished road
The Yosh RS3 have an insert that if you use it makes them fine for neighborhoods. Check out the pictures I submitted in this link.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...279#post222279

Last edited by fpalbrecht; 09-06-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:38 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
the LeoVince evo is the quietest pipe i've heard. it has two baffles and passes the euro standards. with both installed it's barely louder than stock.

tim
Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1 on the Leos
Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
"the LeoVince evo is the quietest pipe i've heard."

So I have heard. I too am looking for a "quiet" alternative, and after looking at the Staintune website I see they wrap the core with stainless steel vs. fiberglass. Less maintenance is appealing, and they "claim" it never needs repacking. Hmmm. They also offer one baffle insert, although I don't know if their claims of "just louder than stock" are true. Would any of the S-Hawk owners out there who are running the hi-mount staintunes with baffles in please comment and or add a sound bite?
And oh yea, they look good and it appears they don't have labels riveted all over them. Clean.

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Back Marker

Thanks for all of he replies. Even the PM offering to take the Jardines off my hands when I get something else . I think I'm going to try and repack first and see how they do. If no luck, I'll check out the Leo's and Yosh's.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:30 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Get baffles made for your pipes. Easy to do for any competent exhaust shop.

Staintune baffles are very simple, and do what they claim. Nice note and still quiet enough to be legal here in Australia. I have had a few Staintune pipes and they are a quality item. I have them on my VTR. I also have a set of Leo Vince mufflers, Ti & carbon, on my VFR800 and they are superb.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 PM
Back Marker

Think I have an answer

After searching for a while I ended up buying some packing kits and a couple Quiet Module Inserts specifically made for the race baffle Jardine's. Apparently they give you the performance with less of the noise. I'll let you guys know how they do. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Back Marker

Kators is on a distinguished road
Sorry, in the post just before you kators said his stockers were as loud as a pair of jardines. I thought you were telling him to repack his.
Sorry, didn't really iterate myself well there. I meant that a guy out here has jardine pipes on his bike, I couldn't tell a difference from his vs. mine. But, I also was well past him before I decided to listen too close.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Back Marker

Installed

Got the inserts and packing kit in and found some time to install. Packing the Jardines aren't bad and afterward it sounds smoother but still loud. I installed the inserts although they are made for the RT4 exhaust so I had to use both gaskets to seal up the end just right. They are quieter now but not completely quiet and I don't notice any power difference. My wife gave them two thumbs up saying that they sound much less "noisy".

Last edited by jaypo; 09-21-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:30 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Good news! Its always nice to find a relatively cheap fix.

I went the opposite way with my wife's SV650S Yosh slip-on. I removed the street baffle. It wouldn't pull out after removing the screws, so I had to Dremel some aluminum off the inside of the end cap.

The result is that when I rode it over to my friend's house to help him with a dropped cylinder on his Ducati 851, he said "Now it sounds like a V-twin". Deep mellow growl, but not obnoxious. Its quieter than the full Muzzy system I put on her old bike, an EX500.

Oh, and the dropped cylinder on the 851 was due to a loose connector on the #1 cyl ignition module. He was happy too.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:08 PM
Squid

Superclean09 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dave in NY

If you want to hear what they really sound like take the inserts out. 1 allen key to remove two tiny bolts and that bike will wake up. Nice to have the option of replacing the inserts and keeping things respectible.