SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   Quiet Helmets ? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/quiet-helmets-6301/)

NZred 07-22-2004 10:38 PM

Quiet Helmets ?

:cry:
In your opinion,.. what is the quietest helmet commonly available on todays market.
I was looking to replace mine,.. and would rather not wear ear plugs all the time. :wink:

ChickenLover 07-23-2004 05:11 PM

Re: Quiet Helmets ?

Quiet helmets are pretty easy to find actually. The thing is that they aren't usually very good.

Arai's, for example, or any other well-ventilated helmet will usually be quite noisy because of all the air that is (intentionally) channeled through the helmet.

So, go get yourself a low-end quiet, hot as heck helmet...or do what I did.

I buy good helmets (Arai Astral at present) and wear earplugs. Excellent ventillation...and quiet.

NZred 07-25-2004 01:01 AM

I have an HJC AC-10 at the moment,.. and was told that the new Shoei XR1000 is really good,.. or is SUOMY, AGV, Arai a better choice.
:roll:

ChickenLover 07-25-2004 05:31 PM

I assume that is the Shoei RF1000? Don't know too much about those, but I will tomorrow as I'm going helmet shopping for my wife tomorrow. I've heard good things about them, though. Suomy and Arai helmets are very good. I don't know anything about the AGV helmets.

Basically, but something that fits you well. Ventillation is very important to me, so I'm willing to own a noisy helmet and to wear earplugs.

Another good helmet that is relatively cheap is the KBC Racer 1. Lots of features found in $400 helmets for as little as $200 depending on where you find them. It has a fully removable liner, different cheek pad sizes to customize the fit, and has an awesome ventilation system (somewhat of a knockoff of the Arai RX7...which is an awesome helmet).

sburggsx 07-26-2004 06:02 PM

My last 2 helmets have been AGV's. I dont' remeber what model, but it wouldn't have been in the $400+ range. :P The one thing I'll say is they're noisy as hell. After the 3ish hour ride home from Mid Ohio yesterday I was pretty much deaf for the next couple hours. (I had worn walkman headphones on the way up that act as earplugs)

So...... list AGV's as NOT quiet.

mamisano 07-26-2004 06:35 PM

Don't have anything to compare against my current Shoei TZ-1, but on long trips I ALWAYS wear earplugs, including on my daily 40 mile (round trip) commute.

Random 07-27-2004 06:55 AM

MCN (Motorcycle Consumer News) did a review on a lot of lids (cheap to expensive). One of their test criteria was "wind noise". The generally concluded that the higher priced helmets had the better sound protection, with a few exceptions. You can contact them for a copy of the backissue or try to search their site for the article.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/

faz 07-27-2004 09:19 AM

I have an arai rx7 and is not a quiet one. However, I NEVER go for any ride, unless it is less than 2 miles or so, without putting on ear plugs. So, the noise has never been a problem for me. In return, I get better ventilation and cooler head, quicker changing shileds, etc.

Low noise should be the least important feature of a helmet, in my opinion.

Jabba 08-19-2004 07:55 AM

I've got an 4 year old Arai (hmm needs replacing...?) and it is fairly quiet, but I still wear earplugs. I really don't think that you can get away without earplugs with riding at speed.

I'm thinking about the Shoei RF1000, a buddy has one and really likes it!!

Cheers!

NOrrTH 02-25-2005 10:32 AM

I have an HJC and it roars like hell. Thought I was cause I went cheap :P

I'm actually very surprised that alot of you guys wear ear plugs. What about sirens, talking to your buddies at the light, etc?

marmaladedad 02-25-2005 11:46 AM

With ear plugs, I can still hear ambient noise - it's just muted. Like when you get out of a swimming pool or the shower, and there's water in your ears. When talking to my friends, I shout and sometimes they understand. Mostly just a lot of gesturing.

call me phil 02-27-2005 03:58 PM

if you want quiet, let me tell you.......my beanie cap STINKS at quiet-hehehehehe...just kidding....i have a cheaper hjc that fits very well and dont really have to much complaint about wind noise, and i ride 30 miles one way to work on the highway.

cdyer77 03-06-2005 07:44 AM

I have a aria astrol and never really had any problems with excessive noise. I never wear earplugs when riding on the street. The noise never really seemed to bother me. However the guys that ride behind me all the time wear plugs and they say that it helps them because my bike is so loud (hehe!!!)
You should look for a helmet that fits your head correctly first & foremost! Expense should be second. Working at a bike shop, its amazing to see how many people actually wear helmets that dont fit their heads. Alot of good that will do you when the time comes that you need the helmet to actually work. Please dont buy your new helmet over the internet without first going and trying on as many as you can until you find one that fits your head correctly. Ask your local shops if thay can properly fit a helmet for you if you are unsure of how it should fit. Most dealerships with half decent guys that have lots of experience riding will be able to help you out.

HotStreetVTR 03-11-2005 05:26 PM

The following helmet is arguably about the quietest and most rider-friendly helmet going; it also happens to be about the costliest helmet going: :)

[web:876a6cd220]http://www.shoei-helmets.com/x-eleven.html[/web:876a6cd220]

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR

alnames 04-10-2005 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by HotStreetVTR";p=&quot (Post 3065)
The following helmet is arguably about the quietest and most rider-friendly helmet going; it also happens to be about the costliest helmet going: :)

[web:2e9f819372]http://www.shoei-helmets.com/x-eleven.html[/web:2e9f819372]

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR

Well, I've got an X-11 and it's a really nice helmet, but I don't consider it particularly quiet, about the same as my old RF-700. I wear plugs too.

Al

Chase 04-10-2005 10:14 PM

I have an older HJC forget which model but its the Crevie Replica helmet.(FG-12??) I also have a new HJC AC-11 Yikes. Yikes is right... Its freakin loud!!!. Comparetivly the older helmet is much, much quieter. I think alot of it has to do with the amount of padding in the cheek (sp) area. The quiet helmet has about an inch and a half where as the newer one only has about 3/4 of an inch.
I agree with the ear plug suggestion. Wind noise alone will cause hearing loss over time. I dont know the laws in other states, but up untill recently in CA it was illegal to wear earplugs. But now its not and in they go :D

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble 04-15-2005 05:56 PM

3 things

1. i got an extra helmet , a Zeus 508 model modular helmet, and the thing is better than my agv helmet i swore by. when im at the pump, i can breathe and dont look like darth vader, also i wear glasses for riding (light perscription of -.75 ) and its easy to get em on or off. it has interchangeable lens capability and i got a mirrored finish one, looks nice. should check em out for an extra or whatever. only 80$

check out the reviews on it

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/zeus-...eus-helmet.htm

this will solve all arguements... well, to some degree :

http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com

3. the best investment in the WORLD is a set of good in-ear earbuds... i hook em to my mp3 player, put on some Slayer and im ready to relax. cant hear a damn thing on the bike or at the gym. check em out.
theyre sonys and 30$ also come with 3 sizes of rubber thingeys for your ears. remember!!!! these are not the ones that HANG in your ear.. rather these are more like the earplugs used for swimming.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...asterid=893309

Boodler 05-13-2005 07:17 AM

Hi!

Maybe not well known in the U.S; but in Europe, Schuberth helmets are known for being quiet.

superhawk22 07-07-2005 05:05 PM

If you want Quiet stay away from KBC unless it is 2005 model. I own vr-7 Wolf type model and it is LOUD!!!!! Light but loud I spoke to another guy who had racer1 and he said same thing. I also own BIEFFE br 16 which is the lightest helmet I've ever owned but it's loud as well. I read that article in motorcyclist and they actually said the cheap helmet from parts unlimited out performed the expensive ones!!!!!!! In both energy absorbtion and noise levels it was like $75 bucks or something stupid like that.

They said most of the expensive snell approved helmets are constructed of materials that are to ridgid and don't disperse the energy well. The plastic gave better without breaking and the foam the use is better as well. That said I hate heavy plastic helmets. :cry:

v2weapon 07-07-2005 09:20 PM

I have 3 really quiet helmets: an Arai RX-7, a Shoei RF-900, and a KBC TK-8. Ironically, the KBC is just as quiet as the Arai. It may have something to do with the $5 rubber ear plugs I wear with all my helmets. They magically transform every lid I don into a wonderful place to live.

superhawk22 07-07-2005 09:48 PM

It's gotta be the PLUGS!!!! My KBC is EXTREMLY LOUD it's got a huge gap between the shield and the rubber seal. And before you tell me, I have adjusted the plates on the side as far back as they can go. :cry:

inderocker 07-07-2005 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by NOrrTH";p=&quot (Post 2751)
I have an HJC and it roars like hell. Thought I was cause I went cheap :P

I'm actually very surprised that alot of you guys wear ear plugs. What about sirens, talking to your buddies at the light, etc?

as far as ear plugs go.. they just bring down the volume.. you can still hear everything fine.. better in most cases. when i played in bands back in the day i wore ear plugs and it helped tremendously, i also never go on a long trip without them... so much more enjoyable.

ALSO: Jabba!

where in the hell did you get that avatar? that is freakin' awesome!

Brian A 07-24-2005 04:50 PM

Regarding noise...
I ALWAYS wear ear plugs - always.
I can't remember where but I read some where a few years back about the wind noise, etc. actually diminishing your brain's ability to react quickly. Something about the loud noise being a big sensory input that, almost subconsciously, your brain is having to process.
This left "less brain power" for visual input process, reaction times, etc.

For me personally, the wind noise IS distracting. Distracting and frustrating. Those two things can not be good on a motorcycle.

I can still hear everything pretty well with ear plugs in. Car horns, sirens, people talking, etc., all are still easily "hearable" with ear plugs.

One side benefit, by eliminating the wind noise I can sometimes actually hear my engine better. This makes noticing an unusual tick, etc. easier.

I once rode from Birmingham to just south of Roanoke, Va. all interstate, on an in-inline four with headers. My ears roared and rang for days. That is the last time I have ridden any distance at all sans ear plugs.

Brian

moto_man417 08-28-2005 12:17 PM

just purchased my scorpion exo 700
have ridden for 2 weeks and is really quiet compared to my RF1000 and way way more quiet then my Arai rx7

should check them out.

www.scorpionusa.com

or i will give ya a good price if you want to give me a ring

www.yamahasuzukiofcoolsprings.com
(shop is in tennessee u.s.a) ask for Joe if not there will be there in a day . gotto have time to ride too..lol

right next door to www.hondaofcoolsprings.com

senecagreen 10-15-2005 04:31 AM

I think a lot of it has to do with the seal of the shield against the helmet. I have two HJC's and one is quieter than the other because on one the shield seals against the helmet better (I probably just need to go get a new shield for it because I don't remember it being like that when new). Also look for helmets where the shield is on the outside of the attachment mechanism which also makes a helmet quieter.

Shoei's are generally pretty good. Just imagine how loud it is for those that don't wear a helmet. I don't know how they can stand the wind noise.

CNI Dawg 10-15-2005 01:38 PM

My X Eleven is not quite but it IS well ventilated ! (and a damn nice helmet)

Ear plugs are your answer bro...

superbikemike 10-15-2005 02:50 PM

I used a Bieffe helmet for a number of years and didn't wear earplugs because it was very quiet. I purchased a Shark S500 Air. It is very well ventilated but very LOUD. Wind noise is very noticable. I've tried disposible foam earplugs and find them a bit too quiet. I'll get used to them I guess.

woodman 10-15-2005 02:55 PM

My Icon Alliance is the quietest helmet I have worn yet. I've had HJC CL-12, AC-11, Shoei RF 900 and the Icon.

rhu5 10-18-2005 11:35 PM

Currently have an Arai Quantum f and it's pretty quiet with all of the vents closed, but wind noise has never been a problem with me. My next helmet is going to be a Shoei RF-1000. Tried it on and it was a very good fit.
I've never ridden with ear plugs, but after viewing this thread..... I think I'll pick up a set tomorrow and give them a try.

GreyBeard 10-19-2005 04:59 PM

Besides the number of vents in a helmet, your head shape ( I've read ) and it's fit to your helmet, can affect noise. Makes sense to me. Also, ear plugs filter higher frequency noise, wind whistle, you can still hear traffic and the wonderful sound of your engine.