RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

windows 7 SP1 sucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 06:51 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down windows 7 SP1 sucks

Just installed SP1, and it has wrecked my internet page loading speed dramatically. I thought it was a malicious thing from microsoft because I use google chrome, but just tested this forum on IE and it is the same - s---l---o---w.

Anyone else suffering?
Is there some option I can swtch?
Old 02-27-2011, 07:36 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I didn't see an update happen, unless it ran in the background. So SP1 sucks? lol thanks!
just saw, I'm still version 6.1 (build 7600) so I'm off the hook.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:23 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
it crashed my laptop,and locked up the hard drive.i tried to reinstall winmo7 but its telling me i need drivers to run the set up.so i gotta go thru all that.im just to lazy to do it right now.

question,is the copy you have a legal copy,or bootleg
Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
R U running @ X64 or X32? I see Win 7 SP1 X64 is available for update. How do I change my settings to manual rather than auto updates? I think I installed Win 7 as X32 but why would it show an X64 SP1 being available (see below)? Also, what about the Silverlight update, yes or no? Plus there are 2 "optional updates" (see below)? I checked & these 2 updates were automatically installed yesterday:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2484033) Installation date: ‎2/‎23/‎2011 6:10 PM Installation status: Successful Update type: Recommended (Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2387530 Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com)

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2387530) Installation date: ‎2/‎23/‎2011 6:11 PM Installation status: Successful Update type:
Recommended (Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. More information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2484033 Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com)

My Pending Updates???

Update for Microsoft Silverlight (KB2495644)

Download size: 6.0 MB

Update type: Important

This update to Silverlight improves security, reliability, accessibility support, startup performance, enhances line-of-business support and includes several fixes to better support rich internet applications. This update is backward compatible with web applications built using previous versions of Silverlight. More information: url]http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=208901[/url] Help and Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=105787

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932)

Download size: 73.6 MB - 892.6 MB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is a recommended collection of updates and improvements to Windows that are combined into a single installable update. The service pack can help make your computer safer and more reliable. A typical installation will take about 30 minutes to complete, and you will have to restart your computer about halfway through the process. More information: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=206783
Help and Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=206784

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio

Download size: 29.0 MB

Update type: Optional

Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Audio software update released in September, 2010

More information: http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20379226 Help and Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=hub

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2488113)

Download size: 324 KB

Update type: Optional

This is a reliability update. This update resolves some performance and reliability issues in Windows. By applying this update, you can achieve better performance and responsiveness in various scenarios. For more information please see the Knowledge Base article. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. More information: url]http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2488113[/url] Help and Support: url]http://support.microsoft.com/[/url]

So I'll guess I'll call MS & see what's up!

Last edited by skokievtr; 02-27-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:37 PM
the boss
SuperBike

i down loaded the other stuff and it was fine.i have the 64bit version.
i downloaded the first time and it crapped out.it took hours for it to down load and install.
when it first crashed,i was able to do a system restore.it came back up.than it downloaded by itself,i forgot to turn off the auto download.than after that it crashed and wouldnt do a restore at all.
if you wanna know what system is down loaded.go to device manager and look for system info.it will tell you there.the 64bit will run 32 bit too.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Back Marker

I am running x64, set on 'tell me when there is something to download and install'.
Being the computer guppy, when it says important, I figure do it.

Fark me, I thought updates were supposed to improve things, not make them worse!

I have been googling for the last couple of hours to see what I can do and the overwhelming results so far are related to crash on install, chrome crashing on startup and crashing on uninstall (total reinstall).
Old 02-27-2011, 10:54 PM
the boss
SuperBike

yea,i gotta do a complete reinstall,i extracted all my info and documents etc etc from the hard drive,so everything is saved on a seperate hard drive now,well atleast the important stuff.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Back Marker

After more fiddling, I have found the best result is to change the laptop settings over to 'performance' setting which means I lose a few of the appearance bling bits. Obviously the cpu or ram is now more stressed by whatever microsoft has stuffed around with.
Fark 'em, it was quite ok as it was. I'm too scared to uninstall it after reading all the crash stories.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:02 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

well thanks for the clue, I'm running x32 hence the no update, however my parents are running x64 that I installed for them so I'll have to make a call in the morning!
Old 03-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Back Marker

More fiddling - major speed increase when I disable PC Tools firewall and use windows firewall.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by revhead1957
More fiddling - major speed increase when I disable PC Tools firewall and use windows firewall.
I did install the Win 7 X64 SP1 and had no issues.

What do you mean by "PC Tools firewall"?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Fark me, I thought updates were supposed to improve things, not make them worse!(total reinstall).
Keep in mind that your dealing with Microsoft. When we first got our laptop a couple of years ago (vista OS) it was fast. Then I ran all of the updates........
Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

and that's what caused vista to be so unreliable and a bad name for itself! windows 7 will for sure be the same way (it already is) but look at XP there was like sp1, sp2, sp3...
Old 03-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Back Marker

Skokie, PC Tools is an add-on security program with a good reputation, and more effective than the std windows 7 firewall. I found out they are working on an update for this issue, so when that comes out I will probably enable it again.

I am now happy again. When I stop spending my spare $ on the VTR (as if) I might consider going apple.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
When I stop spending my spare $ on the VTR (as if) I might consider going apple.
Now there is an absolute waste of good money... Once upon a time they where more stable and userfriendly... Past tense... Now they have about the same amount of problems as most of the larger windows based manufacturers... But they still sell those things at a price that rivals gold...
Old 03-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Win 7

Went back to XP.

and I don't much like Office 10
Old 03-05-2011, 07:54 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tweety
Now there is an absolute waste of good money... Once upon a time they where more stable and userfriendly... Past tense... Now they have about the same amount of problems as most of the larger windows based manufacturers... But they still sell those things at a price that rivals gold...
Tweety I humbly disagree. I've ran a number of iMacs for over 10 years and during that time used PCs at work and there is no comparison. The Apple performs near flawlessly and the PC not so much.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:16 PM
the boss
SuperBike

ok,so i finally stopped being lazy and fixed the laptop.
i wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows 7,as soon as i did,i just went straight to all the updates and downloaded all of them first before doing anything incase it crashed again.
after doing all that and downloading the new I.E.,it runs fast as hell,real strong and stable,thats with sp1 down loaded.
if anyone is having issues,its best to save anything important and reinstall.it will make the biggest difference in the world.