General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

This really sucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
This really sucks

Well, okay, it "sucks enough", at least in MY books.

Had some time today to take care of some msicellaneous projects on my VTR. Some successes ..... and a failure, literally.

I work in a machine shop, so I wanted to remove one of the PAIR reed covers and one of the tensioners so I could measure them up and get to business making a blank plate and my own manual tensioners. Started with the easy one first.

Yeah, easy.

Figured i'd deal with the front cover because it's so easy to get to. I removed the lower bolt first, no problem. Then I put the socket on the head of the other bolt, gave it a turn, and just as the bolt feels it's about to loosSNAP!

Oh for cryin' out loud! I can't believe it. I'm beside myself. Wtf just happened here?!??!?! I pull the ratchet and socket away to watch the bolt head fall to the ground below.

So, yeah, I can't wait to see what happens when I get to work on the tensioners! LOL!

Looks like my VTR and I are off to a beeeauuuuutiful start.

Oh well, at least I finished the work needed with the CBR929RR front end swap that was done before. I can now actually use the stock ignition lock.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
Yep, you're right.....

That sucks.

Time for penetrating oil, a nice sharp drill bit, and the E-Z-out!
Old 10-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
my day was not much better

lets play name that broken part!
Name:  100_1231.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  61.3 KB
Old 10-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Scumbag
my day was not much better

lets play name that broken part!
(keeping in mind i'm new to this bike)

Judging by the hex shaped plastic thingy and the thread that was attached to it, along with the spring loaded do-dad ..... looks like someone ran into the problem i've been reading about lately - the dreaded "I broke the stupid plastic choke" issue.

May I inquire as to how you did this? I'd kinda like to learn from your mistake.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the front end off mine now, awaiting replacement fork seals.
You guys make me afraid to turn a wrench on it now!

OBTW- REALLY cool lighter. I haven't seen one of those in 30 odd years.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Slim
Well, okay, it "sucks enough", at least in MY books.

Had some time today to take care of some msicellaneous projects on my VTR. Some successes ..... and a failure, literally.

I work in a machine shop, so I wanted to remove one of the PAIR reed covers and one of the tensioners so I could measure them up and get to business making a blank plate and my own manual tensioners. Started with the easy one first.

Yeah, easy.

Figured i'd deal with the front cover because it's so easy to get to. I removed the lower bolt first, no problem. Then I put the socket on the head of the other bolt, gave it a turn, and just as the bolt feels it's about to loosSNAP!

Oh for cryin' out loud! I can't believe it. I'm beside myself. Wtf just happened here?!??!?! I pull the ratchet and socket away to watch the bolt head fall to the ground below.

So, yeah, I can't wait to see what happens when I get to work on the tensioners! LOL!

Looks like my VTR and I are off to a beeeauuuuutiful start.

Oh well, at least I finished the work needed with the CBR929RR front end swap that was done before. I can now actually use the stock ignition lock.
Little late but on bolts that tends to seize, it is always better to first TIGHTEN it and then remove it....good luck getting it out.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Left hand drill bit, should come right out,, If not you already have th hole needed for a screw exstractor. Best bet, pull the cover and do the drilling in a drill press where you can control the bit, feed and depth much better. More time, less money when you do not slip up and tear in to the valve cover.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:09 AM
dave
Squid

yellowstorm is on a distinguished road
when removing tight bolts if you get a drift or flat punch & put it on top of the bolt hit it a few times it will unsiez the bolt so you can get it out easy just a tip for the tight assss bolts
Old 10-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Back Marker

The most puzzling part about all this is how one bolt was fine and the other just let go. In all my years of wrenching i've never had this happen. Strange. Oh well, add another to the belt of experience. (shrug)

ANYWAY, question - i'd rather pull the cover off for this (but haven't decided yet - gotta check local screw extractor supply resources/options). I hate getting chips all over a car/bike for something like this. Can someone please tell me if there is enough clearance for me to simply lift the cover over the valvetrain without removing the engine? I'm not sure how much I need to lift the cover to get it over the valvetrain.

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
The most puzzling part about all this is how one bolt was fine and the other just let go. In all my years of wrenching i've never had this happen. Strange. Oh well, add another to the belt of experience. (shrug)

ANYWAY, question - i'd rather pull the cover off for this (but haven't decided yet - gotta check local screw extractor supply resources/options). I hate getting chips all over a car/bike for something like this. Can someone please tell me if there is enough clearance for me to simply lift the cover over the valvetrain without removing the engine? I'm not sure how much I need to lift the cover to get it over the valvetrain.

Thanks.
the front one is a PITA ! ( of the two ). i pull the carbs & plastic shroud & lift the cover up through the frame.

i'd just drill it in place. tape over the reed, it' doesn't need to be a large hole imo, make the plate, use THIN layer of RTV on the plate before bolting it back on.

you can finish the repair ' correctly ' the next time the cover is off to adjust the valves.

tim
Old 10-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough

Thanks.
You have to drop the oil cooler first but after that you should be able to get the valve cover off
Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by trinc
the front one is a PITA ! ( of the two ). i pull the carbs & plastic shroud & lift the cover up through the frame.

i'd just drill it in place. tape over the reed, it' doesn't need to be a large hole imo, make the plate, use THIN layer of RTV on the plate before bolting it back on.

you can finish the repair ' correctly ' the next time the cover is off to adjust the valves.

tim
I was figuring i'd be pulling them off anyway while doing the tensioners (to zip-tie the chains/timing sprockets), so I think now would be that time.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:18 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I snapped a tensioner bolt last year while torqueing it down. Hate to say it, but they must be cheap.

Anyway, to be safe I replaced all 4 of the tersioner bolts w/ higher dquality stuff from Fastenal.

(Stuff like this is why I MUCH PREFER riding over wrenching.)
Old 10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I just went through some broken bolt heads on my friend's 1964 Buick Wildcat engine over the weekend... luckily the only siezed in the front timing cover and not the block but after being together for 43 years somethings gotta give you a hard time... all turned out fine when I was done.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Back Marker

Just taking a 5 minute break from it right now. The cover is off with no incident and little swearing (actually, none directed towards the job) and ready to be repaired. The front timing chain is now zip-tied to the cam sprockets (3 thick ties, should be enough) while I blueprint the tensioner and cover.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Back Marker

You know, sometimes I surprise myself at my level of stupidity, and at other times my level of intelligence?!??!?!?!

An example of each;

stupidity - "gee, I just finished installing new cams, heads and intake manifold in my car. Why won't it start now?!?! ..... Oh, I forgot to hook up the battery!"

intelligence - "gee, I better try removing that OTHER reed cover now, before I fix the first one, just in case one or both of those little bolts decides to break like before" ..... twisSNAP! (I hope the censor thingy works here) ****! Super ****!

Yes, I now have to fix BOTH valve covers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a pic with me pointing lovingly at the second little culprit, direct desendant of the initial (that means the SAME location);

1, 2, 3, 54, 55, 56, 97, 98, 99, 100. (because counting to ten doesn't cut it sometimes) *deep breath*

Last edited by Slim; 10-08-2007 at 04:31 PM. Reason: apparently there is no censor here
Old 10-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
dooode....when it rains it pours
Old 10-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Still beats fixing one only to have the other do it the next day.....
Old 10-08-2007, 04:48 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Hope she comes out easy, I snapped off the Counter shaft sprocket bolt and it is way back in there. I was luck in that i used a very new tiny drill bit and started a small hole in the middle. Then i jammed a small phillips head srew driver in the tiny hole and backed out the broken bolt.

I hope yours is not stuck due to corrosion, if so that is going to be a bitch to get out.

Good luck