RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

uh, it's a rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
uh, it's a rant

In the scheme of life, this is pretty minor, but it is happening more often. I posted some items for sale. Guy contacts my. Take item to ups and post office to find best shipping price. Let buyer know. He responds with 'I'll see if I can scratch that together' then nothing. You should know before you respond to an add if you can afford it or not. And we are talking fifty dollars. I'm not ******* on the less fortunate but if you gotta scratch fifty bucks together for a motorcycle part, unless it is your mode of transport, you probably need that for something more important. On my last set of items, happened three times. I have stuff siting in my shop 'cause the hassle of running this stuff around for nothing is a pain.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Squid

herbvtr1000f is on a distinguished road
you know what if you had a problem with me inquiring about a part then talk to me about it. My hawk is my mode of transportation and i wanted to see exactly how much it would cost. i didnt mean to offend you in any way. plus you lis tthe item for 35 bucks and i confirm it is 35 bucks and you tell me there is no way to that is right. thats too low.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 AM
Back Marker

Wasn't calling anybody out by name. That's why it's called a rant.

pm's
me -Still have the header. In East Teas. All boxed up and ready to go

you -how much shipped to 84097. and your asking 35 for it?

me -UPS was best at $12. $35? Is that right? That is way to low. Anyway
paypal - ********
$47 total looks like. Can get it out tomorrow.
bruce

Guess my attempt at humor on the price didn't fly. But I confirmed the price with your actual shippng charge. And you have not purchased said item or made arrangements. Must be hard riding your only means of transportation without ah exhaust header.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
I hear you hawk, its happened to me also! It's not the end of the world but ,some of need to get our **** together!
Old 10-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Squid

herbvtr1000f is on a distinguished road
it has a header on it just the previous owner hacked it and welded a resonator on it. I am sorry about the humor part. I can be pretty serious alot of the times. Anyways didnt mean to lead you on. I am just waiting on my parent to wire me some money for the part. I can understand your frustration.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Back Marker

This wasn't directed at you personally even though I might have used what you pm'd, which is why I did not include names. It was more of a general frustration with a situation that seems to becoming more prevalent. Even had someone inquire about the shipping cost on the header right after this post started, acted a little immature and then no contact after getting cost. I could sell this stuff on ebay with a lot less hassle on the front end, but seller protection is getting bad on ebay. Not to mention the money ebay/paypal takes. So I figure what the going price would be close to on ebay, deduct what I would be losing selling it there and offer here, at usually a cheaper price to help a brother out.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:07 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I can see how it would be frustrating, but asking what shipping cost will be doesn't constitute a sale. Maybe list flat shipping prices for areas of the us in your ad and you won't have to go through this.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:26 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I no longer get my hopes up or consider anything sold until I get paid. I fully understand it feels like a waste of your time but you can't consider everything sold just because someone asks a question or two. I've been asked over and over a million questions (often dumb ones on ebay and craigslist) or "can you hold this for me until I get my next paycheck?" and all sorts of stuff like that, then have someone fall off the planet. Yeah it's annoying. That's why in those situations now I simply keep it business, answer questions, and if asked to hold something get a small deposit, that way I know someone is serious. We agree on a timeframe, and I'll hold off other interested folks until then. It's how grown ups do things. I'll go farther out of my way for someone than most but got tired of screwing myself after awhile. I do put people in order and give someone "dibs" for a reasonable time in order to communicate back and forth. It can be tricky over the internet sometimes when several people ask at the same time. Once had two people get into a huge internet fight on multiple car forums over a supercharger I had on craigslist. One guy said he definetely wanted it but lollygagged around and had an excuse every time I asked to meet up, and someone else called me & paid for it sight unseen and then guy #1 gets pissed off at the world like I owed him something. It's craiglist dude and you didn't seem very serious... So just have a little patience when you put stuff up for sale as not everyone may be as serious or motivated or courteous or experienced in buying and selling stuff. Here is better than craigslist but I think the same rules of good pics, good honest descriptions, fair prices, fast shipping, and good communication apply anywhere. And just be prepared to put up with some questions and a little hassle sometimes to sell something. Good luck.

Last edited by captainchaos; 10-17-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:39 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
And unless it's a large item going overseas ( I do check around in person for the cheapest price out of courtesy) I simply weigh and measure the box at home and then figure the shipping price on fedex.com or usps.com. It's always very close. Round up say to the next inch and the next pound and you'll save yourself alot of time and trouble.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Squid

scpt kirk is on a distinguished road
I have to interject here. I know what it is like to want something, and then stuff comes up like a $614 electric bill. But, at the same time he/she needs to let you (the seller) know whats going on. On the other hand....from what I am getting is that he/she just wanted to know shipping. Maybe they had money but did not calculate shipping.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:30 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by captainchaos
And unless it's a large item going overseas ( I do check around in person for the cheapest price out of courtesy) I simply weigh and measure the box at home and then figure the shipping price on fedex.com or usps.com. It's always very close. Round up say to the next inch and the next pound and you'll save yourself alot of time and trouble.
I have been burnt on shipping estimate before when selling something. I now box it up ready to ship, go to post office and get actual cost to LA from TN. Most expensive from my area and post price including shipping to cont. US. with shipping. If is ships closer then the few bucks i save on shipping are mine, Its not that much difference anyway. Things seem to sell better when price includes shipping and is stated up front. No one gets burned as each party knows the price including shipping from the start.

Last edited by Thumper; 10-17-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
I'm given to listing things including shipping! It's just alot simpler. Of course I've learned to do what Captanchaos does.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Back Marker

I guess I am just going to have to include a shipping price that will cover all options and refund the difference if it is big enough. When I sell on ebay I am not that worried about someone paying extra for shipping(or making a little off shipping) because I have no idea who this yahoo is, but here on the forum we supposedly have some comradery. And I thought responsible adults, but with inquires/responses like this, I guess I will have to defer to the lowest iq:

"Sorry boss,
I work really strange hours, at even stranger periods of time. with no access to the portal to the forum, or any other..
I will get those funds to you this evening- around 8 or 9 tonight....
Sorry about the delay.. "

I received this response after two or three exchanges of promised payment over four or so days. He can't get to the internet to send the money but can keep sending me excuses. I was always polite and he never sent money.

or
him -how much shipped to 92840?

me - $14.50 ups. Didn't check post office as they were $2 higher the last two times I checked with this box.
paypal available
bruce

him -"That is to say, what is the total price of the item including shipping?

What is your paypal ?"

me -35 + 14.50 =$39.50 (Crap, can't believe I missed that. Good ol' TX public isd for ya, and if he would have sent 39.50 I would have honored it)

paypal - *****
boxed and ready to go tomorrow
bruce

The last one I received right after this thread started. I figured it was probably a troll but gave him the benefit of doubt. On this one, guess he can blame the Cali Public School system for not teaching him how to solve word problems involving math. That is to say never heard back on this one.

Last edited by HawkRider98; 10-18-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Haha "Cali public school" failure? 35+14.50 does not equal 39.50, but we know what you mean.

In those responses, I would consider them being genuinely interested. Them asking for your PayPal would be enough for me to consider it sold. I consider everything up for sale until someone gives me money, I don't care if you want it but need a few days to get the money, if someone else pays me, it belongs to them.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:04 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
I've recently bought a few things from people here in Leu of my recent accident... I inquired about the items prior to settlement with the insurance company and explained in detail to the sellers my situation however I knew I was receiving enough to cover my purchases...

Every step of the way I gave detailed updates and I appreciate the sellers patience and now everything has been paid for and shipped. The sellers did not have to accomidate my situation but were very kind in doing so and I was diligent in keeping them up to date...

However, and this is a big however, on another forum I sent payment for an exhaust can on Monday night and this was an immediate purchase as in responded to the add in the afternoon saying ill take it and ill send payment in a few hours, sent payment a few hours later as promised... shot the **** with the Guy til Tuesday and ended with let me know when you ship it... haven't heard back since and no shipping update with PayPal either... at this point I don't know if he's shipped it or is planning on shipping it or trying to take the money and run...

I think common courtesy is very important when it comes to online buying and selling and some people don't understand that...
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Selling stuff has become more annoying.

But even buying stuff, I keep having sellers quote me a ship charge, only to then walk into a UPS store (NEVER do this BTW) and get hosed for some huge amount, then expect me to make up the difference.

You can print your own ups labels at home for less than half of the francised ups store cost. UPS themselves WONT ship to a ups store because they are independantly francised.

Hawkrider, I dont think you were at all out of line ranting. Its not like you named anyone (although they came forward for some reason).

I also agree that you expect more from a forum member. The same way bikers help each other way more than other groups.

So guys, lets all be honorable. Fair enuff?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:15 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Aloha,

I have acquired a number of parts from members of this forum.
Being in Hawaii it has helped me a lot. Good communication and
trying to be as clear as possible has given me a very pleasureable
experience on this forum. Very good deals and very caring packing
has been a consistant experience of mine.

My recent purchase from the OP was packaged very well along with
very good communication. What a deal for the tank!

I really value our forum as a excellent source of knowledge and a generally
very tight knit community. Fellow riders with a Common Interest and Riders All.

Good Communication is the key I feel.

HawkRider98, I appreciated the trouble you went thru with our transaction.
I would not hesitate to do business with you in the future. Keep it up.

Ride Well All... Mahalo....
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
so I sent that guy from the other forum another pm yesterday and he responds with

"yea its shipped"

im not in a rush for the part but common courtesy would tell me when it was shipped atleast or a little more detail...