RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

It never ends... (Legal issue)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
Angry It never ends... (Legal issue)

Long story short, I got subpoena'd to court just now. I guess my exwife (ex as in 8 years ago) and her new husband are getting divorced.

I had a facebook account a little while back, and started getting random messages from this dude claiming to be her current husband, and they were getting a divorce and he needed my advice.

I sent him a message back telling him that anything of public record was open to him (the restraining order i got against her for leaving death threats on my answering machine) and wished him well.

The dude sent me countless messages after that and i wouldnt respond. I actually got so tired of it that i deleted my facebook and myspace.

Didnt stop him. he looked my phone number up in the phone book, left me a bunch of messages on my answering machine. I didnt return any of his calls. Then his lawyers called and left messages wanting me to make a statement. I didnt return thier calls either.

Now i get a damn supoena to show up in court on his behalf for thier divorce / custody hearing. I called the DA's office to tell them i have no information for them. They said it doesnt matter, and i have to show up in court anyways. I got a restraining order against her for a reason a long time ago, and now im going to be stuck in a court room with her for who knows how long for something i had nothing to do with.

What kinda bulls**t is that?!?!?!?!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
maybe you should get the restraining order put back on against her, then you can say that you can't go to court because of the restraining order :-)
Old 11-25-2009, 12:38 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Nothing u can do but show up and if you have to answer, only answer the minimum and exactly enough and no more, offer nothing and when in doubt say "I don't recall". I think you can ask for reimbursement from the soon to be ex's attorney.

Oh, and don't drink your whiskeys for 2 days b4!
Old 11-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
Show up wearing the mask in your avatar....just to make them worry.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:52 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by ttocsmai
maybe you should get the restraining order put back on against her, then you can say that you can't go to court because of the restraining order :-)
I thought about that, but i honestly dont remember if the restraining order is still active.

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Nothing u can do but show up and if you have to answer, only answer the minimum and exactly enough and no more, offer nothing and when in doubt say "I don't recall". I think you can ask for reimbursement from the soon to be ex's attorney.

Oh, and don't drink your whiskeys for 2 days b4!
Thats what i was thinking. The initial response i had was to show up and tell them i wasnt saying SQUAT! but i know that wont fly.

Hey now... dont take my whiskey away! lol
Old 11-25-2009, 02:39 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NCDave
Show up wearing the mask in your avatar....just to make them worry.
I think this is the best idea yet. Call this jerk attorney back and ask him who will pay your legal fees for showing up. I would damn sure buy an hour with somebody who could advise what to say, when to dodge and when to shut up. Who pays for your time away from work. Tell them you'll make an arrangement at your attorney's office for one hour to make a statement.

Your work requires you to be at the turkey farm in East Texas and you can't be present. (Bring the Superhawk)
Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
ug. divorce - the gift that keeps giving and giving and giv..............

things they should teach us when we are young about choosing partners.

good luck.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:14 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Hell, get a restraining order on the husband, since he is the one bothering you. If your ex's order is still in effect that would mean they would both have to leave the court when you're there.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
ug. divorce - the gift that keeps giving and giving and giv..............

things they should teach us when we are young about choosing partners.

good luck.
Agreed. Ex-wives suck bigtime.
I recommend to my friends that they avoid obtaining one. Mine's an X of 11 years now and still annoys the hell out of me when I have to deal with her.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Superstock

Well, ive tried calling the D.A. to get out of it, but its not happening. I gotta be there tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advice and ill let ya know if i need bail for being in contempt for calling the guy a douchebag under oath
Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mike996
Thanks for the advice and ill let ya know if i need bail for being in contempt for calling the guy a douchebag under oath
But you can argue that they made you swear to tell the truth! Good luck hope it's not too bad...
Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mike996
Well, ive tried calling the D.A. to get out of it, but its not happening. I gotta be there tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advice and ill let ya know if i need bail for being in contempt for calling the guy a douchebag under oath
So long as you don't call the Judge or any of the bailiffs that, it's just a personal opinion about a private citizen.. Though there is no need to make a point of being rude.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Superstock

Well here I am in the courtroom. I'm sitting here while my ex's family keeps staring at me. I'm not on trial but for some reason I'm so nervous I could puke.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, seeing as you have nothing to gain from this, I'd say you can relax... But then again I know nothing about the US legal system apart from TV series...
Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Superstock

BONUS! i just got released.... kinda. I guess the dudes lawyer realized i wasnt holding a grudge against my ex and he said i was useless to him at this point. But, im on a 1 hour standby. if they call me back, i have to report back in there within 1 hour or be in contempt. The other bad thing is he said it would most definately go to trial and it could span over a decent time period, so i could get called in at any time.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... I'm a service tech... Being on standby ears me good money just sitting around... Guess that doesn' apply to the courts though...
Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i am thankful for something... having never got married! what a focking racket that is.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Kill the bitch while she's sleeping. Toss her in the lake and when she doesn't show up you just play dumb

But seriously. That's fucked up man. That guy sounds like a douche. I'd go to court and claim I didn't ever trply to him and that he must have fabricated any statements you supposedly gave him. **** them both
Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately you have prior engagements. You are caring for a rare exotci bird 24/7 that needs 100% of your attention. The endangered Superhawk.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Superstock

You guys are nuts lol. I havent got called back yet, so thats a plus. Im guessing i played ignorant enough so they wont need me.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Afterward, sue them both for wasting your time.