General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Best legal wattage halogen replacement bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:18 PM
Back Marker

avramd is on a distinguished road
Best legal wattage halogen replacement bulb?

Hey Everyone,

[edited due to my realization that I used some potentially counter-productive language]

For those who have already upgraded their wiring (i.e. installed a relay kit like the eastern-beaver option or something similar)... This post takes it as a given that no bulb results are meaningful if they are not getting full alternator voltage.

Ok, this has been discussed ad-nauseum, but the results are spread out across hundreds of posts. I'd like to create a poll on the best replacement halogen bulbs. But before you respond/flame, let me set some qualifiers:

1) This is not the place to debate the benefits or lack-thereof of replacing your halogen bulbs. They burn out and need to be replaced. Wanting to choose an optimum replacement is a valid pursuit, and does not require debate.

3) Let's only discuss legal wattages here. Super-legal wattages come in many shapes and sizes, and the safe limits are unknown, so that discussion is guaranteed to be inconclusive. The purpose here is to determine the best options within a standard, and the obvious standard to pick is the legal limit, which I believe is 60 watts high beam and 55 watts low beam.

That said, please respond with suggestions for candidates for easily obtainable high performance halogen replacement bulbs, and I'll set up a poll. No need to list one that's already been listed. Please only list a bulb with a source - if we can't find a supplier, then it doesn't really help to know that it's the best!

Ok, open the floodgates...

Last edited by avramd; 01-26-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:45 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
What you should be looking at then is a bulb that has the maximum amount of Lumens and whose color is closest to white. NOT blue/green/red/purple.

I'll refer you to www.rallylights.com Take a look at the Hella Hypers/Osrams, they have lumens and color listed, or call and talk to them. They are super-helpful and will get you what you seek.

I, personally, get the 85/80 Osram, I think it is 2400 Lumens and very white. I believe, but have not confirmed this morning, that there is a 60W version of this bulb.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:08 AM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Flawed Concept

Without accurate measurements, performed within specific parameters, you will have only vague, subjective data.

Go buy a couple of SilverStar replacement bulbs (carry one for a spare) and call it a day.

Rex
Old 01-27-2010, 04:28 AM
SuperBike

The Sylvania Silverstars are overpriced at $20/bulb. Yes, they're readily available, but so what.

Here ya go, a street legal bulb at 60/55W, get the premium at 1895 Lumens (compared to the 1500 of the Silverstars) for $10.43

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=267

Order 2 of those for the price of 1 Silverstar and get them in 2 to 3 days.

The color temperature and number of lumens aren't subjective. User review is subjective. The closer to white the light is, the brighter it is. The more lumens produced by the bulb, the brighter it will be. Price isn't subjective either. Buying a Silverstar at a local auto parts store will cost you twice as much as taking the time to source things out.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:33 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I just ordered a couple of Hella 100/55W bulbs on eBay (got a spare). This allows me to run on low most of the time (no heat issues, plus I want to be cautious regarding the draw on the electrical system given that I will trying the lightweight Turntech battery) yet I still have the 100W option when I ride on secondary roads at night.

BTW, of particular interest to fellow Canucks, I was going to order from Rallylights but they wanted $21 to ship one bulb to Canada... sorry, but no dice..... (I paid $13 shipping for the two Hellas)....

Last edited by mikstr; 01-27-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 AM
SuperBike

Mikstr, what a bunch of crap. Same physical continent, yet they rape you on shipping.

I might try the 100W, just to do it.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:28 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
Mikstr, what a bunch of crap. Same physical continent, yet they rape you on shipping.
the excessive shipping costs are EXTREMELY common... while I can understand there is some complication involved in shipping across an international border, strangely, other companies manage to do it for a fraction of the cost. In the end, it has become one of, if not THE, most important factor in selecting where I spend my money.

On another note, I just checked the rallylights site (God bless them, lol) and they list the Hella 100/55W at 2900 lumens so it should light up the road pretty well. Here is the listing:
HL78158 - 100/55W H4, 2,900 Lumens, 100 Hr Avg Life

cheers
Old 01-27-2010, 08:21 AM
SuperBike

The OP wants street legal. I spent some time on the phone with the guys at Rallylights.com

This is the bulb that I'd get:
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=2312

100/70W, only 2765 Lumens, but 4000K in color.

2 pack is $31.95.

The previous bulb I posted is probably his best street legal option.

As for the relay kit, turns out that www.rallylights.com also offers a relay kit.
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=1247 The HL28200M - Upgrade Harness for One H4 Lamp(M/C) for $66.04

They don't offer some of the other configurations that Eastern Beaver offers, but they have a kit, they are stateside, and it's readily available. Didn't ask about customization of the kit, but it might be available too.

Last edited by Erik S.; 01-27-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:24 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Unless I've been totally misinformed, sunlight (mid-day, cloudless, at sea level) is in excess of 5000K. A typical incandescent light bulb is 3200K.
Your 4000K rated bulbs will be somewhat more yellow than daylight.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:51 AM
SuperBike

It seems that it varies:

1500 K Candlelight
2680 K 40 W incandescent lamp
3000 K 200 W incandescent lamp
3200 K Sunrise/sunset
3400 K Tungsten lamp
3400 K 1 hour from dusk/dawn
5000-4500 K Xenon lamp/light arc
5500 K Sunny daylight around noon
5500-5600 K Electronic photo flash
6500-7500 K Overcast sky
9000-12000 K Blue sky

taken from: http://www.schorsch.com/kbase/glossary/cct.html

Regardless of the color of daylight, are we not searching for the brightest legal bulb for our friend. So if 4K is the whitest, and this bulb is putting out a high number of lumens, did we not find the brightest legal wattage bulb for him?

This is a 60/55W Hella Xenon bulb. It's lumens are average for a 60/55W bulb, it's color is whiter, which should make it brighter than the average 60/55W bulb.

http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=2312

If you can order that bulb through someone other than rallylights.com go for it. I need a replacement bulb for mine, I trust their knowledge, and I have ordered from them before. They are my first pick for lighting.

From what I have found, this is the brightest/whitest bulb for the price. $31.95 for a pair. You can NOT buy a pair of Sylvania SilverStars from your local auto parts place for that price.