RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

It was a good day to hate cagers

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
It was a good day to hate cagers

Thought today would be a good day to ride to work to clear my head before a hectic day. Negative.

So I'm riding down a 4 lane parkway and notice a guy pulling out of a parking lot on the left making a mad dash across all four lanes. In my mind I knew I was on a T-bone collision course so I start looking for options but got on the brakes hard not knowing if he would turn or go straight across. I come to almost a complete stop drifting the rear and as I come up to him he turns left and gets in the lane left of me. Dumb-***. So I shake it off, head to the next light. Turn right and start merging two lanes over to the left to get on the interstate.

As I'm merging (heavy traffic) with signals on, I spot an opening. But as I'm merging over the lady in the lane to my left and behind me guns it to pass me. I have little options as there is someone right behind me and cars stopping in front, so I twist it and once in front of her pull over into the turn lane. I had enough distance on her, it was just risky having to cross the lane in a rush in heavy traffic.

It was at this point I thought about pulling over and getting some coffee till everyone with their driving skills up their *** got to work. Ruined the rest of the morning. I've had closer calls, but back to back close calls 5 mins into my ride sucked.

Gonna take a nice ride this weekend around some twisties to get that one out of my head...
Old 09-18-2011, 06:01 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
had a close call yesterday myself. was on a nice twisty 2 lane with a 2nd lane available around curves, 3 cagers in front doing 35 in a 55mph limit. I pass the first 2 cages on the left and the front cager (mini van) wouldn't move over so I go to pass on the right lanne I am ine then this A$$hat tries to cut me off takes over half of the lane I am in I lock the brakes up and honk the horn (they actually work) but he still refuses to concede either lane. By this time I am totally pissed as he is doing this intentionally, I downshift to 4th and punch it and pass him on the left in opposite lane ( or more centerline).
Old 09-18-2011, 11:47 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
God bless the acquisition of cat-quick reflexes and the ongoing smile from the goddess who watches over us motorcyclists.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:14 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PUSHrod
God bless the acquisition of cat-quick reflexes and the ongoing smile from the goddess who watches over us motorcyclists.
+1
Old 09-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Back Marker

msethhunter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wsharpman
had a close call yesterday myself. was on a nice twisty 2 lane with a 2nd lane available around curves, 3 cagers in front doing 35 in a 55mph limit. I pass the first 2 cages on the left and the front cager (mini van) wouldn't move over so I go to pass on the right lanne I am ine then this A$$hat tries to cut me off takes over half of the lane I am in I lock the brakes up and honk the horn (they actually work) but he still refuses to concede either lane. By this time I am totally pissed as he is doing this intentionally, I downshift to 4th and punch it and pass him on the left in opposite lane ( or more centerline).

People like this usually get followed to their next stop.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:37 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I had more than a few of those during my many years of commuting. And now-a-days everybody seems to be in such a hurry. Glad you avoided disaster.

Yesterday my wife and I were headed through town on El Camino Real (2 lanes each direction, separated by double yellow), on our way to ride Ortega Highway, when a woman in a red Explorer with dark tinted windows cut me off, taking away the safe distance I was maintaining with the car in front of me. About 3 seconds later she slams on the brakes and comes to a stop. I was going about 20 to 25 mph in 2nd, in the right lane. My wife was following on her SV.

Well, I found out 3 things:

1) I still have pretty good reflexes for a guy turning 65 next month (I initially thought I was going to hit her, so did my wife).

2) Stock brakes with EBC HH pads are capable of locking the front wheel with a 2 finger pull.

3) The Superhawk can do a "stoppie". Although my rear wheel probably only lifted an inch or two.

After stopping, pissed off, I went around the SUV, on the right, and pulled into the FULL CAR LENGTH that she had left between her and the car in front of her, as a car 2 cars ahead backed into a parallel parking space.

What are you going to do? I don't think she even knew what had just happened, and why I was giving her a "WTF" look.

Friends (who don't ride) often comment on how dangerous Ortega Highway is, and I respond with, "It's much more dangerous just riding through town, on El Camino Real, to get there".

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 09-20-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:50 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
not all are bad though , as I have more often than not had people actually pull over more to the side just to let me by and wave as I go by (admiring the bike I guess as I lean into the curves) . it's just once in a while that I get a stubborn or thoughtless jerk that mess's with me. I have to also admit that this bike sometimes gets me to do things I wouldn't normally do (shrugs) as I can feel the power thrumming underneath just tempting me and begging to be unleashed at a moments notice and what can I say I give in. It's so fast on acceleration that it makes passing things seem easy, lord knows I am actually in no real rush to go anywhere but that doesn't stop the temptation lol. addicting is what it is.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:02 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
My old commute was @ 1000 miles a week in and out of NYC, so I have seen a couple things. The trick is that everytime you get to the destination YOU WIN. I actually wear out horns just to accomplish this.

I am shocked to watch bikers almost crushed w/o even a blip of the horn. On a bike you can do a rapid 3 tap burst that helps cars triangulate your position (albeit unknown to them). It will usually check them up because its quicker than a car can beep and doesnt express anger.

You've GOT to make peope very aware you are there. Your life literally depends on it.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:03 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
wsharpman you're right not all cagers are bad and it is easy to get into trouble on the hawk.

smokinjoe, you got that right!
"You've GOT to make people very aware you are there. Your life literally depends on it."
Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
You've GOT to make people very aware you are there. Your life literally depends on it.
Hoooah.
Well said.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:29 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I am suprised that, the old quote " LOUD pipes, Save lives". wasn't mentioned in this thread..
Old 02-28-2012, 06:57 AM
MotoGP

Oh yeah, loud pipes save lives. But they dont have to be so loud that they ruin it for the rest of us.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:58 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
You can be running.no pipes and it still won't be loud enough for the teenager bumping and singing along to Justin Beiber to hear you. That's when armored gloves and side mirrors become aquaintances.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aja
That's when armored gloves and side mirrors become aquaintances.
Better hope the cager doesn't see you coming or it will be bumpers you're getting acquainted with.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
My old commute was @ 1000 miles a week in and out of NYC, so I have seen a couple things. The trick is that everytime you get to the destination YOU WIN. I actually wear out horns just to accomplish this.

I am shocked to watch bikers almost crushed w/o even a blip of the horn. On a bike you can do a rapid 3 tap burst that helps cars triangulate your position (albeit unknown to them). It will usually check them up because its quicker than a car can beep and doesnt express anger.

You've GOT to make peope very aware you are there. Your life literally depends on it.
Stock horn or something off a Peterbilt?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
I am suprised that, the old quote " LOUD pipes, Save lives". wasn't mentioned in this thread..
If loud pipes saved lives they would aim them forward, that way they could hear you coming.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:30 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by divingindaytona
If loud pipes saved lives they would aim them forward, that way they could hear you coming.
+1

I had a guy give me the loud pipes line who didn't even own a helmet. Uh, you're really worried about safety, huh? Don't kid yourself... loud pipes are for fun
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Loud pipes help to get attention of the drivers around you, just like horns do. So does moving around, showing a wheel, bright and reflective colored jackets, etc. I use them all when I don't have an opportunity to simply pass people. The exhaust sound may not carry far in front, but it does carry forward enough for cars in my immediate vicinity to know I'm there if I'm not moving much faster than they are.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:56 PM
MotoGP

Well believe what you want but I haven't met 3 riders who combined have more miles than I do in anywhere near as adverse conditions. NYC in rain, snow, 14*, hurricanes. Every day commuting.

Been hit by cabs(in the rain), buses, trucks, bicyclists, pedestrians, and regular cars, car doors. pigeons, cats and dogs.

Somewhere north of 220k miles. In usually not good conditions.

Hit cinder blocks, wheel breaking potholes (literally broken wheel), open man holes, oil spills, ice patches, 5 inches of snow, hail, branches, actal whole car wheels, truck treads.

All while racing 12 events (4 full days per event) per year for 11 yrs. (lots of them in the rain & a couple with snow falling). 4-5 expert races per event.

In my humble opinion (yours may vary). Loud pipes help add to rider safety.

Just don't count on it.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:38 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
In my humble opinion (yours may vary). Loud pipes help add to rider safety.

Just don't count on it.
I like the way you said that.... perhaps I was just going on a tangent there. I'm sure you are much more experienced in the commute than I am (and are still around to show you may know something of what you're doing).

When I was growing up, there was a local "Loud Pipes" sort of bickering going on. The loud pipes save lives folks were the same ones that were advocating no helmets. It's the same where I am now. I mean, you aren't even required to have turn signals on your bike in Arizona. But the same people fighting to keep the decibel level high go out and ride their choppers without front brakes/ no helmet/ and K-swiss kickers.

Every motorcycle officer that I've asked (all two of them!) about this says when they hit lights and sirens and often cars won't notice them. People just have a harder time seeing motorcycles.

That's all I was getting at... every little bit helps, but don't run loud pipes banking on the cars noticing.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:52 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to think loud pipes didn't really matter too, until I started riding on the track. Mirrors are not allowed and you really can't turn around to see what's behind you. I couldn't tell if there was a bike with stock exhaust next to me until I saw a wheel, but a superhawk with two brother's, yeah you know I'm behind you coming up fast!

That being said, straight pipes suck and are obnoxious!!!!

Last edited by superhawk22; 02-29-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by msethhunter
People like this usually get followed to their next stop.
+1, block me intentionally and either you or some part of your vehicle is going to get fucked up.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:50 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I once made a guy who cut me off in the rain going through an intersection apologize to me and his son before I let him go through the next set of lights. At the time it felt great but after I thought about it for a while when the adrenaline wore off I was like, hmmm lots of people with guns down here probably wasn't the smartest thing to do.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Exactly. Although the law abiding citizens are not allowed to shout you unless they fear for there life, so keep a smile on as you verbally assault them.