Old 02-19-2010, 08:30 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Some cagers upset by Caltrans electronic signs

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...gn-of-trouble/
Old 02-19-2010, 08:40 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I fail to see how that would upset anyone....
Old 02-19-2010, 09:32 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
I love the signs! It actually motivated me to get back on the horse this week as I'd been on 4 wheels lately.

I mean, if using them for traffic safety isn't a good idea, what the hell is the point of having them?

Most riders don't ride dangerously.

I understand the resentment, I see it every time I split lanes or park in that corner spot in the lot, but obviously I don't agree with it. They can just as easily learn to ride and buy a bike too.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 02-19-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
We don't lane split (legally) around here. I don't see the issue with the sign, but obviously there seems to be some resentment toward motorcycles. y'all in Cali must be haters or something!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
We can't split lanes here in Georgia, so I have a question for those in California. I have seen videos of motorcyclists splitting lanes going 30+ mph faster than general traffic, or splitting lanes through stopped traffic at a high rate of speed. Is this common? If so, this seems to be a surefire recipe for accidents and injuries to motorcyclists.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
They should think about it this way: Instead of being another cage on the road occupying space and slowing them down, the biker has chosen to waste less of their own and the cager's time by not occupying a full lane space...
Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Galaxieman
They should think about it this way: Instead of being another cage on the road occupying space and slowing them down, the biker has chosen to waste less of their own and the cager's time by not occupying a full lane space...

I agree, however out here in CA there is such a me first and **** the rest attitude it would make you sick.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zmaniv
I agree, however out here in CA there is such a me first and **** the rest attitude it would make you sick.
That attitude is not a California exclusive. It's everywhere as far as I can tell, except maybe in some rural areas.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Superstock

it's definitely in Atlanta! man...traffic there is the worst!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:19 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
The rules on lane splitting isn't specifically written anywhere in the CA laws. It's basically up to the officer's discretion whether you're doing it safely or not.

But yeah, you really can't split lanes >15mph over traffic speed safely, and generally lane splitting in traffic over 30mph is frowned upon. Crashes don't happen as often as you'd think (or I'd be dead by now) but I do think it's almost always more dangerous than just staying in your lane. I do it anyways, but some riders choose not to. I think lane splitting is especially dangerous when the two lanes are moving at different speeds, this is when a cager is most likely to dart into the faster lane without signalling or checking mirrors.

I've been that a-hole on a handful of occasions though splitting at 100mph in traffic moving 80, "because I can", so I see both sides.

But I think in general the cagers resent being "forced" to sit in traffic when motorcyclists split through. But they fail to realize nobody's forcing them to drive a car instead of a bike, or even forcing them to drive at all... and bikes splitting lanes doesn't slow down their commute any, (unless it's in India or something!)

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 02-19-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:09 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Can someone tell me what the hell a cager is?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Superstock

car drivers. A 4 wheeled vehicle is generally referred to as a "cage".
Old 02-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Back Marker

toy4xchris is on a distinguished road
I saw those sign last week when I was down in camp pendleton I was actually happy to see that they made the effort to try and make our lives a bit safer.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:56 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I read some of the comments and they are absolutely appalling. If I was in a bar and one of them opened there mouth I would insert my fist. The selfishness is that they are terrified of riding a motorcycle but don't like that someone beats them to point B. They are mad that they are moving slower in traffic than the other person, so frack them. Weave in their lane. Tell them watch out for me, cause I am not watching out for you. If all those single bodies in cars were on bikes, the whole thing would move a whole lot faster. I want to f- some of these people up. And one of the comments hit it on the head, in 30 years they noticed it was safer to move faster than traffic cause at the same speed you disappear. I noticed this in 5 years of riding, and as a result I always speed. I never get pulled over, and the number of times that I have been cutoff has decreased. Now I only get cutoff by those who are totally oblivious to others or are pissed that I might be passing them.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Back Marker

offroad_rider2008 is on a distinguished road
I totally agree with autoteach, Im that way whether Im on 4 wheels or 2 wheels ppl out there suck, Ive seen rude ppl. in cars, on bikes, it dont matter, ppl. are getting ruder as the years pass on, I live in a rural town in a rural state.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:38 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
And the BS comments about overheating not being a problem for modern bikes, and that it isn't a problem for air cooled bikes either?!! Obviously they know as much about ICE's as they do finances over in "Cali". Sorry shawks from cali...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:18 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
There's a LOT to like about California.

But there's also a lot about California that has earned it's reputation. I try to stick with the things I like and stay away from the rest.

It's a place of extreme beauty, in vast expanses. But please stay away!

:P
Old 02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
2 million miles in a semi throughout the US & Canada and a shitload more miles riding bikes and drivin cars has taught me alot about American drivers, and i'm sorry to say it's generally not favorable. Driving a semi and riding a motorcycle are similar with respect that neither mesh well with the egocentric, pre-occupied, self-absorbed 4-wheelers who think that everyone should drive their way, at their speed, and preferably behind them.

I had so many of these ******** flip me the bird, I eventually dubbed myself "Middle Finger" on the CB. Initially, the further you went North and East, the bigger the ******** seemed to be(motorcyclists exempted of course, hahaha). And as you went South and West, the size of the "hole" diminished somewhat. However, toward my final few years of traveling the US, the melting pot seems to have mitigated that disparity somewhat resulting in Massholes showing up everywhere.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:21 PM
SuperSport

Nath if you went further northeast the massholes go away.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
There is an attitude from some drivers that can only be described as "f**k bikes" all over this country.I've done a little riding in California and lane split during rush hour with a couple of cars deliberately trying to cut me off.Its very different to the UK where I grew up.Over there people have way more respect for bikes and things like lane splitting are expected because getting around congested cities is a lot easier on two wheels than four.
I agree with Nath as well.I have been trucking around this country for almost 30 years and the aggressive,me me attitude is out there and growing.Never did understand it though,why would you put up your #3000 car against a #80,000 truck? Your NOT going to win.

Last edited by steve.g; 02-19-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:36 PM
MotoGP

I did and you are absolutely correct. Maine, Quebec, Nova Scotia, different people.

watch You-Tube videos of sportbike riders in Europe, you'll know right away the distinctions in driving attitudes, more like mine. If you're going a 100 and someone is doin a better job, no problem. Basically, it's a matter of respect for other drivers.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:46 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
As for the freeway message boards, a big +1 to CalTrans. It's about time.

As for lane splitting. Over the 27 years that I commuted on 2 wheels, I lane split for a total of thousands of miles. Usually not more than 15 mph over the flow, I like living. As for cars filling an empty spot, you have to be aware of that and act accordingly. Did I have close calls? Yes, many. Before carpool lanes appeared on my 35 mile commute in the late 90's, I would sometimes have to pass other motorcyclists who were going only 5 mph over the flow. Most would see me in their mirrors and pull over, but others (mostly Harleys with wide bars) would hog the lane split just like some jealous cagers. I'd move over a lane to pass them, when safe.

As for the safety of splitting, I wouldn't be here today if I hadn't split in 1982 as traffic slowed on the freeway just a few months after buying my first bike. As I passed the Monte Carlo I had been following in the #1 lane, he got rear ended by the car that had been behind me. Thus I avoided being the meat in the traffic accident sandwich.

About 25 years ago 2 "air head" LA dj's named Mark and Brian told their listeners, "Next time you see one of those pesky motorcyclists splitting the lanes, wait until they are right along side you then OPEN YOUR DOOR". They got huge negative feedback from listeners, many of whom were employees at motorcycle shops.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 02-19-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
As someone that has always lived in Southern California, I notice a similar trend whenever I am in Northern California or Oregon. Head Northwest and the people just get generally nicer... on and off the road.

That said... there are some nice people here as well (and I try hard to be one of them!)
L.A. just seems to be a magnet for ****** from everywhere else.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:10 PM
MotoGP

We need to have a TV ad campaign here in the USA like they've had in Australia.

Check out "pleaselooktwice.com"
Old 02-19-2010, 07:41 PM
MotoGP

"open your door" , dam. I guess we'll have to start carrying grenades to toss in as we take their door off, huh?

anyway, you got some fun roads out there. Carried my 84' 1000cc interceptor on my dropdeck with a load to Bakersfield and rode across the Sierras to Rt1, down to LA and then back up again to Monterey for the races at Laguna. Had a ball chasing some locals through those high cliff turns in the dark, just going by the speed limit signs. wow! Wild *** ride! One rider we came up on was killed on a curve when he and a camper met in the middle. Took me a while to get it together after that one. Terrible tradegy.

Miss those great roads though.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 PM
SuperSport

pleaselooktwice.com horrible way to get road rash
Old 02-19-2010, 08:38 PM
MotoGP

pleaselooktwice.com horrible way to get road rash
hahahahaha
Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
MotoGP

nath,
Don't you wish we had those gear drive cams in our Hawks?

I rode to Laguna Seca from Anaheim with friends in '83 and '84 on my canyon racer modded CX500 (don't laugh, I had guys asking me if it was a Guzzi, even though it said Honda on the tank). Two of my buddies were on first year 750 Interceptors for both rides.

I got some great overhead full frame photos with a 300mm lens of Kenny Roberts and Randy Mamola in the Corkscrew by sitting in one of the oak trees. Man did Randy hang off more than anyone else at that time or what.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:28 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
We need to have a TV ad campaign here in the USA like they've had in Australia.

Check out "pleaselooktwice.com"
so that toll booth one, where did he put the pass....
Old 02-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
so that toll booth one, where did he put the pass....
You don't want to know... really.

Quick Reply: Some cagers upset by Caltrans electronic signs