RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

F*&cking Insurance!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:13 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
F*&cking Insurance!

Ha! I should have come here before I went off the deep end with Allstate.

Having recently moved to NYC from the West Coast, I am in the process of finding a new insurance policy. The only agent I have been able to get a hold of quoted me $2900 for the same policy was paying $600 for out West (and I thought that was high). It blew me away.

Part of the problem is having two citations on my record in the last 4 years. In CA they keep these citations on record for 3 yrs ... not here in NYC .... it's 5 yrs. This, combined with the nature of one of the citations (yep, it was bogus), makes me f**king pissed off.

I'm calming down.... Will I be riding? Not if it's gonna cost over $800 in insurance to do it.

If you live in NYC and have recommendations for insurance, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:40 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Not NYC but on the other end of NY I have Geico and they aren't bad, I believe its unbder $800/yr for both of my bikes with full coverage. NY insurance is usually higher than other states - kinda like the taxes.

Originally Posted by chickenstrip
Ha! I should have come here before I went off the deep end with Allstate.

Having recently moved to NYC from the West Coast, I am in the process of finding a new insurance policy. The only agent I have been able to get a hold of quoted me $2900 for the same policy was paying $600 for out West (and I thought that was high). It blew me away.

Part of the problem is having two citations on my record in the last 4 years. In CA they keep these citations on record for 3 yrs ... not here in NYC .... it's 5 yrs. This, combined with the nature of one of the citations (yep, it was bogus), makes me f**king pissed off.

I'm calming down.... Will I be riding? Not if it's gonna cost over $800 in insurance to do it.

If you live in NYC and have recommendations for insurance, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2008, 01:16 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Book value on the VTR doesn't justify full coverage IMO. I'd go with the minimum required liability or make friends with somebody outside the city and use their address for "official" purposes.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:26 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
try shelter insurance if you can find them up there; they wrote me through Progressive Hawaii @ $600/yr full coverage
Old 12-16-2008, 01:29 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
If you try Nationwide General and insure your car (and maybe apartment), they just bought Allied Insurance. It dropped my VTR premium by more than 1/2.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:56 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Try State Farm, at least in AZ they are consistently the cheapest when I call actual agents.

And don't bother with full coverage, you can replace the bike for less than a year's worth of full insurance.. But do get as much medical as you can.. (or at least that is what I do)
Old 12-19-2008, 06:16 PM
AZ RIDER
Superstock

lynchie is on a distinguished road
i pay about 500 a month for full coverage in AZ..im 34.. But we have our house and 2 cars through state Farm also. All stats stinks.. We were offered a good deal so we switched
Old 12-19-2008, 06:46 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
I was quoted $450 a year for basic liability through Progressive. I used to have State Farm back in CA but I think there are few agents here for some reason. Someone suggested McGraw - I'll check it out.

As for full coverage, I agree that my SH isn't worth the extra cost. On the other hand, my bike has a lot of mileage on it - over 50K - and selling it won't be easy. If it gets stolen here - not a remote possibility in Brooklyn - it would be in my favor to have it insured. So far I've had good luck parking it on the street under cover. It's garaged for the next few months now.

Thanks for the responses!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:29 PM
Squid

Blkbird is on a distinguished road
I'm paying $139 for liability with Progressive here in Phoenix, it was less than that when i lived in Atlanta, like $120 or something. Chickenstrip, you must have some hardcore tickets.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:53 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I have McGraw's. Every other one of the several quotes I got for minimum legal liability on the VTR was over $250/yr. I pay $80/yr with McGraw. Don't know about full coverage cost or if they write in N.Y. but here's a link.

http://ridewithmcgraw.com/net.data/ride.ndm/motorcycle
The McGraw Group of Affliated Companies
Old 12-20-2008, 06:11 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Geico

less than a $1000 for full coverage on four bikes
Old 12-20-2008, 06:23 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
I do have a couple of tickets, but they're from four years ago. Turns out that Allstate in NY keeps these on file for 5 years. Allstate in CA keeps 'em for 3.

I think the big difference between your situation and mine is Phoenix vs. Brooklyn. New York is expensive in pretty much all ways, and where crime is concerned even more so. Not that where I live is a hell hole, by no means, but there are a lot of people here and along with that goes increased crime.

Regarding tickets .... One thing that burns me up is that the two tickets I mentioned are the only tickets I've gotten in 30 years of riding and driving, and one of 'em is bogus. And yet insurance companies don't take that into acct. They appear to abitrarily set a time limit. Whatya gonna do?

Originally Posted by Blkbird
I'm paying $139 for liability with Progressive here in Phoenix, it was less than that when i lived in Atlanta, like $120 or something. Chickenstrip, you must have some hardcore tickets.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:21 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey... I'm right here in Mount Vernon NY... Progressive and Geico are by far your best choices... all the other big players are laughable...

I moved from college in North Carolina where I was paying 300 a year full coverage, to Chicago, which doubled the cost, to NY where it tripled from that until I dropped everything but liability.... I have no tickets, no accidents... it doesn't matter.

I have Progressive right now simply because Geico increased my rates for no reason other than they said a lot of people in my area are making claims and getting tickets, so I need to pay more... I switched to Progressive and saved 30 bucks. I don't remember off hand, but I think it's around 340 a year just for liability... I honestly don't think you'll do better than that even with a clean record.

As for you bike getting stolen... trust me, if it's on the street get at least 2 locks... one for the front wheel, and a one with a cable long enough to chain it to something they can't move. When I was in Hoboken for 1 year with the bike on the street, I went through 3 ignition locks in one year. If you want to make sure you keep it, a switch on the battery under the seat, or a separate kill switch isn't a bad idea.

Good Luck,

J.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:24 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
You might try e-surence online. I had been progressive but switched. I'm in albany, not the the city, but up here I pay $75! no collision or comprehensive, but still 100/300 liability. Had a ticket 4 years ago, but Esurence only went back 39 months. Thats why I switched. Progressive was still counting it and would have been $40 more.
Unless you are forced to have collision (loan?) it doesn't make sense. Blue book is too low, and there are plenty of good cheap used parts available.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:28 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
Hey... I'm right here in Mount Vernon NY... Progressive and Geico are by far your best choices... all the other big players are laughable...

I moved from college in North Carolina where I was paying 300 a year full coverage, to Chicago, which doubled the cost, to NY where it tripled from that until I dropped everything but liability.... I have no tickets, no accidents... it doesn't matter.

I have Progressive right now simply because Geico increased my rates for no reason other than they said a lot of people in my area are making claims and getting tickets, so I need to pay more... I switched to Progressive and saved 30 bucks. I don't remember off hand, but I think it's around 340 a year just for liability... I honestly don't think you'll do better than that even with a clean record.

As for you bike getting stolen... trust me, if it's on the street get at least 2 locks... one for the front wheel, and a one with a cable long enough to chain it to something they can't move. When I was in Hoboken for 1 year with the bike on the street, I went through 3 ignition locks in one year. If you want to make sure you keep it, a switch on the battery under the seat, or a separate kill switch isn't a bad idea.

Good Luck,

J.
Ooops - didn't think in terms of getting stolen... I guess more of a concern downstate and in the city. Now those prices you guys are seeing makes more sese to me....
Good luck
Old 12-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Squid

Woodytick is on a distinguished road
i use geico in texas and i pay $21.00 a month on 2 bikes.