RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Bicycle Road Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Crashrat
Well, I don't think he's a pretty American...

BTW: Not to be too big a dick, but here's your state's law about riding two abreast:

Riding 2-Abreast – Riding 2 abreast is permitted on any street as long as other traffic is not impeded. When riding 2 abreast on a 2 or more lane roadway, you both have to ride within a single lane. [346.80(3)(a)]

Wisconsin Bicycle laws

To me – an impartial, unemotional non-participant – it sounds like your riders have to give up the lane too if they’re creating a bottleneck.
I don't take it that way, I'm aware of the state's bicycling laws and obey them for the most part. We have a ton of cyclists and very few road incidents. Lots of quiet country roads.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:40 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
I see that he's in Sweeden but he writes in a way that seems pretty American so I assumed that he was.
There's a first time for everything... Being called pretty and American in one sentance makes for two novelties in one go... Not to offend anyone, but I'm not inclined to take either as a compliment... I'm most definetly not pretty, not even my mother will stretch past "handsome" (with the right clothes and lighting), and I'm fairly proud of my heritage as it is, so, nope, not American in the least...

Different laws around here too... You don't need to make contact to be held liable in an accident... You only need to be able to "reasonably foresee" the outcome of your actions... Ie if you blow a stopsign deliberately, you are held liable for what happens to people trying to avoid you, since you are considered to be able to foresee them being forced to take evasive action... And you are still liable if you are on a bike, even if it's not registered or insured or requires a license...

But we can agree on one thing, the particular individual I was talking about was indeed a knucklehead... He didn't at all like the fact that I gave him a lift back to the waiting police officer to discuss the aftermath of his little stunt... Not even the fact that his "victim" was airlifted to hospital in critical state made him mellow down noticably... He was more upset about any potential scrathes I made to his precious bike, since I gave him no choice in the matter, literally taking it from him... He didn't like the option of discussing the matter further with me though, since I wasn't in a talkative mood at the time... And lets say I'm not too pretty when upset, and not the smallest guy around...
Old 08-11-2011, 12:46 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
On my daily commute up Pacific Coast Highway, before I retired, I would frequently see a cyclist riding hard and wearing a plain lime green jersey and black cycling shorts. He commuted by bike, almost daily, from Dana Point to Irvine, a fair distance with numerous hills along the coast.

He always stays to the right, being considerate of the daily commuters, who are considerate to him in return. He's a true cyclist.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:22 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
...and if only all of us would be as considerate to one another, there wouldn't be any problems, huh.

The sad part to all this discussion is that it's a few morons, whether cyclists, motorcyclists, or drivers, who create bad vibes for everyone else.

and just for the record, I'd bet that Tweety would probably make a very pretty american.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:52 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Old Yeller
and just for the record, I'd bet that Tweety would probably make a very pretty american.
Hey, are you saying us 'mericans are an ugly bunch?

Old 08-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Gregw
Hey, are you saying us 'mericans are an ugly bunch?

Well... If I'm s'posed to bring up the average, you guys would have to look pretty grim...
Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Old 08-12-2011, 10:51 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Well I'm not sure how pretty Tweety is... but let's give a shout out to those Swedish women.

On a more somber note. I just read that a 42 year old Sheriff's Detective was killed when struck by a Mercedes SUV while riding his bike near his home in Irvine, CA.

The Mercedes SUV was driven by a woman, with her infant "presumably" secured in the back seat, as required by CA law. What "can" happen in a case like this is: The infant fusses in the back seat. The mom twists her body to the right to attend to her child, and inadvertently turns the steering wheel to the right. No witnesses have yet come forward.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but I think it's a crap shoot anytime you ride a bicycle on public roads. Many aren't paying attention to their driving. Nowadays, my wife and I mostly transport our mountain bikes to where we're going to ride, then ride on mixed use paths or preferably some nice single track.

In a new Ford commercial on the radio, a young man expounds about the great technology included in his new car. And he's not talking about engine management systems, he's talking about all the wonderful stuff on the dash display that he can play with while he's driving. That was the entire content of the commercial.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:55 AM
SuperBike

I gotta agree. it does seem to be getting out of control. The car companies are responding to customer "wants" in order to sell more. I can't count the number of cars I look into as I ride and notice texting going on.

Sad to hear about the LEO. Us folks on motorcycles often share similar risks too.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
At it's core, this issue isn't about bicyclists versus motorcyclists, or drivers and pedestrians, etc. It is about the self-absorbed, self-entitled, irresponsible and immature versus everyone else (including other irresponsible people).

The ranks of the clueless are swelling ever bigger and the level of irritation they cause is growing.
It is even showing up here in our happy little forum...we enjoy You Tube videos of speeding and stunting bikes on public roads, then we pose questions like "so, when was the last time you ran from the cops"...
Old 08-15-2011, 07:58 AM
SuperBike

Ah Nekkid....generalizing never works. speeding and stuning....stupid. running from the cops...even more stupid.

I was thinking while riding last week that people could learn so much about their bikes and themselves if they would just take them to the track. it provides a venue to push yourself and your equipemnt to your limits, and it provides FAR more enjoyment than almost any other riding i've ever done. I reserve that for some incredible views that pop up when riding through mountain roads.

So many people THINK they can ride well and look cool on their bikes, but I guarentee there is ALWAYS someone better. However, from riding on the track, I've been able to test myself in ways that can't be done on streets, and I find that I don't have to prove myself to anyone else.

thread hyjack end.