RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Bicycle Road Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
I wonder if everyone saw this crash in the Tour de France the other day. The thing that's interesting here is that the driver was acutely aware of his situation and surroundings (closed road, bicycle race). He attempted a pass without knowing full well what was in his path and when he saw that tree he turned directly into the cyclists and he would have done the same if there were 6 motorcycles along side him. So would have you or me because this is an example of self preservation instincts taking over. This is and example of the danger we are all in on the road on our two wheelers, pedals or not.

Cyclists and motorcyclists deserve to be safe, whether they're being jerks or not. The comments about "cyclists are putting themselves in danger by not getting out of the way!" are bullshit. The core responsibility of every vehicle pilot on earth is to not hit objects with their vehicles, living or not. If that slows a driver down for a minute or two, tough ****.

‪Flecha and Hoogerland Car Accident / Crash - 2011 Tour de France Stage 9‬‏ - YouTube

Last edited by davidka; 07-14-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:13 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Here is a solution for irritating bicycle road blocks.
‪Incidents, R2M Thailand SuperBikes 2011 Round 3, Incidents‬‏ - YouTube
Go to 1:45. We can all learn something from the Thai racers.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:11 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
......Cyclists and motorcyclists deserve to be safe, whether they're being jerks or not. The comments about "cyclists are putting themselves in danger by not getting out of the way!" are bullshit. The core responsibility of every vehicle pilot on earth is to not hit objects with their vehicles, living or not. If that slows a driver down for a minute or two, tough ****.

‪Flecha and Hoogerland Car Accident / Crash - 2011 Tour de France Stage 9‬‏ - YouTube
the bad part is the "tough ****" attitude doesn't help the situation any. Sad that we can't both recognize our impact on the other and adjust to share the road, huh?
Old 07-14-2011, 10:18 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris
Here is a solution for irritating bicycle road blocks.
‪Incidents, R2M Thailand SuperBikes 2011 Round 3, Incidents‬‏ - YouTube
Go to 1:45. We can all learn something from the Thai racers.
I've done that exact same act in the past ('80 and early '90s) when a car driver has tried to take me out while splitting lanes on my old freeway commute... I'd just kick the door. I didn't have boots with steel toe sliders then though, just sneakers. Carpool lanes pretty much eliminated the need for that activity.

Racing in Thailand is obviously quite a bit different than in most other parts of the world. Those guys are all over the track!
Old 07-14-2011, 10:27 AM
MotoGP

I wonder if everyone saw this crash in the Tour de France the other day. The thing that's interesting here is that the driver was acutely aware of his situation and surroundings (closed road, bicycle race). He attempted a pass without knowing full well what was in his path and when he saw that tree he turned directly into the cyclists and he would have done the same if there were 6 motorcycles along side him. So would have you or me because this is an example of self preservation instincts taking over. This is and example of the danger we are all in on the road on our two wheelers, pedals or not.

Cyclists and motorcyclists deserve to be safe, whether they're being jerks or not. The comments about "cyclists are putting themselves in danger by not getting out of the way!" are bullshit. The core responsibility of every vehicle pilot on earth is to not hit objects with their vehicles, living or not. If that slows a driver down for a minute or two, tough ****.

I saw the replay of that incident the day it happened. My wife and I were appalled. The driver of that "support" car was kicked off the Tour. I think he should be banned in the future. The rider that went into the barb wire fence got 33 stitches in his leg.

After watching the Tour de France and Tour of California for the last several years, I'm surprised this hasn't happened before. I noticed on the last Tour of California that the cars, and even some of the motorcycles, were coming way to close to the cyclists on many occasions. It almost seemed like there were as many cars and motorcycles on the course as bicycles. This was bound to happen. They need to back off with the crazy support cars. In the old days didn't the rider have to fix his own flat?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:38 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
In NC (and on the BRP) if you’re riding two abreast on bicycles and someone honks, you have to give up the lane. I’m pretty sure that’s the law elsewhere, too. I printed off a copy after a run-in with a dickwad of a cyclist.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I saw the replay of that incident the day it happened. My wife and I were appalled. The driver of that "support" car was kicked off the Tour. I think he should be banned in the future. The rider that went into the barb wire fence got 33 stitches in his leg.

After watching the Tour de France and Tour of California for the last several years, I'm surprised this hasn't happened before. I noticed on the last Tour of California that the cars, and even some of the motorcycles, were coming way to close to the cyclists on many occasions. It almost seemed like there were as many cars and motorcycles on the course as bicycles. This was bound to happen. They need to back off with the crazy support cars. In the old days didn't the rider have to fix his own flat?
The vehicle over-crowding situation at major bicycle tours has become ridiculous since the Lance Armstrong era. In the days of Eddie Merckx or even Greg Lemond, only essential motor vehicles were allowed on the course. Lunatic crowds lining the route have always been a big problem for as long as I can remember.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Nowhere did I say or advocate a cyclists right to block the lane. My comment is to those that are warning that drivers can be expected to do the wrong thing and put people in danger. That's bullshit. Of course it's common sense to get out of the way. It's also common sense to wait for a safe place to pass. The casual assumption that a cyclist holding up a motorist is "asking for it" tells me that acquiring a driver's license is far too easy in this country.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:46 AM
SuperBike

Given that here in NC kids start taking drivers ed at 14 and drive at 15, I think you have a very good point. We're not allowed to drink until 21, but we can get behind the wheel of a 3000 pound death machine at 15. hmmmmm.....
Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
the bad part is the "tough ****" attitude doesn't help the situation any. Sad that we can't both recognize our impact on the other and adjust to share the road, huh?
The impact of a road incident isn't equal or anywhere near it. If a bike rider goes under a car he dies. The driver has all of the power and all of the responsibility. The cyclist, no matter how appaling the attitude or behavior poses no safety risk to anyone else. The driver can end multiple lives with a bad choice and walk away with only his consious and likely minor legal consequences to deal with.

In my state (Wisconsin) riding two abreast is legal and we are not required to single up in the presence of a car (even though as a practice me and the people I ride with generally do). In addition we have a "prevailing traffic condition" law. if a group of cyclists are the majority of vehicles (or farm equipment) then auto traffic must yeild. Almost all states have a 3ft. passing rule. If there is not 3ft. of excess room, a car may not pass.

Last edited by davidka; 07-15-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 AM
SuperBike

Legally you are absolutely correct. However, my point was simply that common sense and decency would be a better rule for all of us to live by. Just because a cyclist poses less safety risk to a car does not give him/her the right to act like an ***-hat. Much like us on motorcycles, cyclists need to understand they accept an additional level of risk to ride on the road with cages. it would serve everyone for both cyclists and cages to practice a bit of kindness instead of just getting angry at each other.

I was thinking about it a bit on the ride home last night. We all get mad when cages do something stupid that puts us at risk, like, for example, not seeing us in their mirror and trying to come into our lane, or at an intersection where they miss seeing us approaching. While we get frustrated about it and want to kick their butts, we have to remember that we accepted the risks associated with being on the road and everyone makes mistakes.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
It's inevitable that hostility exists between drivers and bicyclists (especially the former fuming over the latter). As others have pointed out, sometimes the cyclists are guilty of doing things like blowing through stop signs, especially when in groups. I also am a lycra-wearing cyclist, but I hardly ever ride in a group anymore because I don't want to be part of their behavior when it contributes to motorists' anger.

But there always will be misunderstandings. Case in point: I was in a car with a friend of mine who's driven for UPS for a good 25 years. He's a very good and responsible driver. We approached a stoplight where there were three lanes in our direction: a left-turn, straight ahead, and a right-turn lane. There was a bicyclist waiting on the far right-hand side of the straight-ahead lane. AFAIK, he was doing the right thing: staying to the right, but not sitting in the middle of the right-turn lane -- so drivers could continue to make their right turns on red.

But my friend asked, Why isn't he way over to the right? I explained to him that he didn't want to block traffic, and that if he got too far over, he'd have a tough time reintegrating into the straight-ahead flow if there were drivers trying to turn right, etc. Only after I explained it did he understand the reasoning.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:42 AM
SuperBike

at least your buddy didn't say something like "that guy on that bike is a moron...run over him".

As is often the case, it's misunderstandings or lack of knowledge that lead down the wrong path to begin with. As a society, we tend to hold grudges and generalize about those things, grouping all cyclists, motorcyclists, or cages together.

fortunately for me though, I ride my motorcycle most of the time and I don't have a problem with fitting in the same lane as a cyclist. I just slow down a bit and don't get too close so as to startle him/her. Well, ok....if it's a "she" and she has a cute butt, I may honk the horn. I hope she doesn't mind.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The impact of a road incident isn't equal or anywhere near it. If a bike rider goes under a car he dies. The driver has all of the power and all of the responsibility. The cyclist, no matter how appaling the attitude or behavior poses no safety risk to anyone else. The driver can end multiple lives with a bad choice and walk away with only his consious and likely minor legal consequences to deal with.

In my state (Wisconsin) riding two abreast is legal and we are not required to single up in the presence of a car (even though as a practice me and the people I ride with generally do). In addition we have a "prevailing traffic condition" law. if a group of cyclists are the majority of vehicles (or farm equipment) then auto traffic must yeild. Almost all states have a 3ft. passing rule. If there is not 3ft. of excess room, a car may not pass.
You should probably re-read what i posted up in #4... The simple fact is that a cyclist isn't just a nuisance, he does in fact pose a risk to other vehicles based on the fact that people can get hurt trying to avoid mauling him down... Which he then has a degree of responsibilty for...

Share, and share alike... Ie nobody owns the road...
Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tormoz

But there always will be misunderstandings. Case in point: I was in a car with a friend of mine who's driven for UPS for a good 25 years. He's a very good and responsible driver. We approached a stoplight where there were three lanes in our direction: a left-turn, straight ahead, and a right-turn lane. There was a bicyclist waiting on the far right-hand side of the straight-ahead lane. AFAIK, he was doing the right thing: staying to the right, but not sitting in the middle of the right-turn lane -- so drivers could continue to make their right turns on red.

But my friend asked, Why isn't he way over to the right? I explained to him that he didn't want to block traffic, and that if he got too far over, he'd have a tough time reintegrating into the straight-ahead flow if there were drivers trying to turn right, etc. Only after I explained it did he understand the reasoning.
I'm going to tangent just a tad here, but that kind of reminds me of a story...

I was walking with a friend and we saw a guy (whom later we got to know well) who had jeans on and his right pant leg rolled up. On his calf he had a colored "rose" tattoo exposed. My friend commented on what an ******* the guy looked like showing off his tattoo. He got on his bike and rolled away. I then explained to him that a lot of casual cyclists, especially those on road or fixed-gear bikes, roll their pant leg up so that it doesn't get grease on it from the chain, or worse, get caught in it. It may be partly fashion, but it is a highly function act. Turns out the guy had just been in mexico, too, and got a temporary tattoo while he was there and totally oblivious that he was showing it like that. Funny part is now the first friend rides a road bike, and will roll his pant leg up while in street clothes

Just goes to show that anyone can make simple mistakes like that. I wonder how many times something like this has happened to me and I didn't know it...
Old 07-15-2011, 08:59 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
You should probably re-read what i posted up in #4... The simple fact is that a cyclist isn't just a nuisance, he does in fact pose a risk to other vehicles based on the fact that people can get hurt trying to avoid mauling him down... Which he then has a degree of responsibilty for...

+1 Tweety!

A number of times I've faced a car coming towards me on my side of the road, when the frustrated, or clueless, driver has crossed the double yellow to go around cyclists riding 2 or 3 abreast (or more) outside of the bike lane.

Sometimes I yell "Share the road!", to which I'm usually responded to with "F*#k You!".
Old 08-10-2011, 01:54 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
This guy figured it out:

‪Car Runs Down 40 Bicyclists At Brazil‬‏ - YouTube
Old 08-10-2011, 02:08 PM
SuperBike

I'd never condone hurting anyone, but that kinda reminds me of lawyer jokes.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:46 PM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Ah man! I was just about to post that too!
hahahahhaha
Way to be on top of things!!!!

+1
Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Squid

the1bolton is on a distinguished road
I try to treat all close calls on my bicycle as innocent mistakes. Unfortunately I often get yelled at aggressively by drivers and recently someone maliciously pushed a coworker off the road on his way home (he's got some broken ribs to show for it). It doesn't help me feel good about cars when things like that happen. I try to notice that out of 500 cars that drive by me on my way to and from work, only one yells at me.

Note that I don't know any of my coworkers to ride in the middle of the road ever and I haven't seen any of them blow through stop signs. We do however sneak through some red lights though because they don't pick up our bikes and we can wait a LONG time for a car to show up while we stare at an empty road to either side.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Superstock
Superstock

The core responsibility of every driver is to not hit objects/vehicles in the road with his vehicle. If a clean, safe pass cannot be done, then it can not be attempted. Accidents don't happen when motorists try to "avoid mauning him down", they happen when they try to pass in unsafe conditions. The cyclist has absolutely no responsibility for this, whether they are on the edge of the road or in middle of it. The "common sense" point of view is irrelevant, the approaching driver is 100% responsible for the outcome.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
The core responsibility of every driver is to not hit objects/vehicles in the road with his vehicle. If a clean, safe pass cannot be done, then it can not be attempted. Accidents don't happen when motorists try to "avoid mauning him down", they happen when they try to pass in unsafe conditions. The cyclist has absolutely no responsibility for this, whether they are on the edge of the road or in middle of it. The "common sense" point of view is irrelevant, the approaching driver is 100% responsible for the outcome.
Apparently you haven't seen the ultra aggressive actions of "persecuted" cyclists. When bicyclists ride two and three abreast and aggressively try to keep anyone from passing them by riding as close to the center line as they can then they are inviting disaster. I have seen it even when a passing vehicle poses no harm whatsoever.
The "holier than thou" attitude of bicyclists, many of whom apparently believe they have the high moral ground because they're not riding vehicles which emit pollutants (other than the polluted minds of those who ride them), can be a dangerous thing.
This is just more political correctness run amuck.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:28 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
You obviously didn't read my previous post, so I'll spell it out for you...

The cyclist I was referring to wasn't in any way being passed or passing someone... He blew through an intersection without stopping, forcing a car to either avoid him, or run him over... The car avoided him, and caused an accident with others as a result...

Ie yes, an accident quite literally was created by his actions, when cars tried to avoid mauling him down... The thing you say doesn't happen...

He didn't "share the road", and the court did absolutely find him responsible beyond any doubt to the accident... So none of your generalized statements are valid...

READ, then post...
Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 AM
SuperBike

I'd buy your comment except for that one part. if the cyclist is in the middle of the road then I don't think that's being considerate to other road users in any way. I could see where a legalistic arguement could be made that he has a right to the entire side of the road as he is a user of the road the same as everyone. However, in a common sense world, the cyclist has just as much responsibility to do his part to share the road as motorists do. If I came upon a cyclist who was in the middle of the road, you can bet he'd hear from me.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
I have 2 motorcycles, 1 mountain bike and one road bike. Each is vulnerable when it comes to other vehicles. When using the road bike I stay on the far right as much as possible but let me tell you, there is some brain dead SOB out there. When driving a car and I come upon another slow vehicle whether it be a bike, tractor, horse and buggy, stranded car, pedestrian, etc, I either stop and let oncoming cars go by before passing or slow down and time the pass. I've been on the most narrow deserted road with maybe 1 car every 1/2 to 1 km and under the same scenario when 2 cars meet at the same time, some brain dead SOB will try and pass at the same time. When I had a young family and teaching the kids to ride (side street with 40 km zone) the same thing would occur; cars would zoom by at 80 kph with both us on the road and oncoming traffic. In fact it happened more often than not. After a while I learned that when out with the kids, it was best to take the lane. I could go on and on.
Based on some of the comments in this thread, we have some brain dead members. One has to remember that we drive motor bikes and are vulnerable to drivers of vehicles who make poor decisions.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:36 AM
SuperSport

I couldn’t agree with Killer more. The fact is bicycling has become a sort of cult with its own origin myths and persecution complex.

Devotees will tell you that bicycle paths once criss crossed the Earth, in complete harmony with the great mother. The industrialists have tried to pave all that over with their roads and their autoculture, but the bike was there first and it deserves its place.

If you mention mule trails and walking paths they get glazy eyed and disinterested. If you say that tax dollars pay for roads, they reply as one collect insect hive that they, too, pay for the road and should be allowed to use it however they want. When you tell them that, well, that’s fair as long as they register and insure their vehicles, because you’re not allowed to play with your toys on a public road, they become indignant.

I have nothing whatsoever against bikes, but bicyclists are the worse. As far as irritating lifestyle cults go, they rank up there with Harley riders and Mac users.

I lost one of my best riding buddies to bicycles. Once he drank the cool-aid he stopped riding motorcycles all together. Now when I hear from him all he can talk about is bicycles and how many miles he’s ridden. I try to find common ground and he spits back gear ratios like a machine.

It is essentially the same creepy personality transformation that born again Christians go through, although born agains are way more interesting. Because let’s face it, as weird as organized religion is, at least it’s struggling with larger questions.

If you’re dumb enough to form a critical mass blockade on a major road to prove a point, you’re really pretty friggin dumb. If you’re willing to make that potential sacrifice – of getting flattened like a bug – to make a stupid, insignificant gesture maybe your life really isn’t worth much to begin with...

Rant mode: off.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Superstock
Superstock

You obviously didn't read my previous post, so I'll spell it out for you...

The cyclist I was referring to wasn't in any way being passed or passing someone... He blew through an intersection without stopping, forcing a car to either avoid him, or run him over... The car avoided him, and caused an accident with others as a result...

Ie yes, an accident quite literally was created by his actions, when cars tried to avoid mauling him down... The thing you say doesn't happen...

He didn't "share the road", and the court did absolutely find him responsible beyond any doubt to the accident... So none of your generalized statements are valid...

READ, then post...
Not sure how this incident is relevant to the conversation. We're talking about cyclists sharing/blocking the road with cars. The type of incident you mention occurs many times more frequently with drivers/cars than is does with bicycles so it's not really a bicycle incident. A good firend of mine was a victim in this type of thing- A car turned in front if his, he hit a telephone pole avoiding him, and couldn't hold the other driver liable because they didn't make contact.

Most cyclists, even the "cultish" riders aren't so dumb to play chicken with cars at intersections. The guy you refer to isn't a cyclist, he's a knucklehead on a bicycle. He'd be a knucklehead on a skateboard, in a car, on a motorcycle, etc. I'm glad he was able to be held accountable.

Why can't this conversation be had without all the emotional baggage? When something is in the typical American driver's way they react like their god-given rights are being taken away. In most other coutries when something is in their way (bike, car, livestock), they wait for it to move out of the way or drive around it safely and don't waste any more time thinking about it.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:24 AM
SuperSport

Let me be the first to point out the obvious: Tweety isn’t an American so insofar as he’s the dude you’re replying to here, it seems like you might be making assumptions about the US and other countries…

And as far as emotion goes… Just head on over to any critical mass forum and suggest that bicycles do not have the god-given right to run red lights and see what sort of response you get. If people’s reaction are so strong it’s because the public image bicyclists have attracted, both online and irl, has been largely negative.

I agree that we need to raise the level of dialog about where bicycles fit in with our country – I used to ride around 20 miles a day to and from work when I lived in NC, but now I work from home – but to me it seems that many lifestyle riders want to assume all the protections of being legitimate vehicles while accepting none of the laws.

Gross generalization? Certainly.

Probably what will eventually happen is idiot riders will give government an excuse to force everyone to register, inspect and insure their bikes. Won’t that make the world a better place?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by Crashrat
Let me be the first to point out the obvious: Tweety isn’t an American so insofar as he’s the dude you’re replying to here, it seems like you might be making assumptions about the US and other countries…
I see that he's in Sweeden but he writes in a way that seems pretty American so I assumed that he was.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 AM
SuperSport

Well, I don't think he's a pretty American...

BTW: Not to be too big a dick, but here's your state's law about riding two abreast:

Riding 2-Abreast – Riding 2 abreast is permitted on any street as long as other traffic is not impeded. When riding 2 abreast on a 2 or more lane roadway, you both have to ride within a single lane. [346.80(3)(a)]

http://www.wnbr.org/bikelaws.htm

To me – an impartial, unemotional non-participant – it sounds like your riders have to give up the lane too if they’re creating a bottleneck.

Quick Reply: Bicycle Road Blocks