RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

accident :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 06:22 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
accident :(

about 1 mile from home tonight on way to little store a deer ran right in front of me and wasted my plastics on front fender and front fairings as well really dented left radiater. not sure what all else at the moment. Deer dead (gutted it). follwed a nieghbor's truck back to my house as I have no headlight. bike rode fine brakes on front really screwed up though (probably rotors bent slightly). at least I didn't drop the bike went straight though that deer. pulled into the store and walked bac to get what parts of plastic were in road. friggin deer screwed up my holliday for sure.
called insurence co. (progressive ) gonna have to see what adjuster says. hope can get parts replaced. (maybe get a new tank out of the deal as well? being as it was dented before).
before you ask yes I did take pics of bike lol..will upload later
Old 12-23-2012, 07:31 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
that sucks...

You kept the bike up when you hit that deer??? Or did it go down?
Old 12-23-2012, 07:39 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

yeahght through it and kept it upright, good thing I was wearing my gear too as plastic and deer bounced off me especially my left foot.. heavy steel toe'd, and shank , leather work boots. tool fearings out and even flattened the left fairing stay and radiater (fairing stay gutted the deer).
Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Well look on the bright side you were not injured and the bike can be replaced or fixed. Believe me fixing the bike is much better than a hospital run.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:15 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Thumper
Well look on the bright side you were not injured and the bike can be replaced or fixed. Believe me fixing the bike is much better than a hospital run.
+1 Sucks about the bike (and the deer) but when the words "motorcycle" and "accident" go together and you walk away without a scratch, if may not feel like it when you look at your poor bike but it starts to sound like a pretty good holiday to me Glad you didn't get hurt.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:28 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

thanks guys. I haven't slept much tonight (retless I guess ) wondering just in what way I am gonna get screwed over by insurance co. When you have next to no money (as work has been been terrible) and unknown on the deductable? As well bike was paid for full year on insurance. as well you guys know how little this bike is worth (in their eyes , kelly blue book). I wouldn't doubt they will try to total it on the plastics alone, even thought it still in fair shape.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:37 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Glad you came through relatively intact!

As for the bike look at getting what you can from the insurers and repairing what you can and/or sourcing second-hand parts from ebay to keep costs down.

www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Plastic repair & prep on fairings with pics
Old 12-24-2012, 06:05 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear mate, but at least you're still around to talk about it (likely wouldn't be the case if you had hit its not-too-distant cousin, a moose)....

Be grateful and Happy holidays!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:28 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Yours is a great survival story. Too many riders haven't been as fortunate. The cost of repair is an irritant. You'll deal with it. It's going to be OK.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:10 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear, but as mentioned, you got out in one piece, it is the best holiday gift as I see it!!!
With the bike, maybe you should take that as opportunity for some upgrades...
Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:37 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails accident :(-001.jpg   accident :(-003.jpg  
Old 12-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
+2

Glad your allright a deer is a big beast to hit. You got off lightly.

(:-})
Old 12-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Squid

JakeT is on a distinguished road
wow that sucks man; Main thing your alright and at least the bike isn't totaled.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
well as long as you're alright, you won one. If you have compreh insur. you should be cool. You're definitely one of the few I've heard of who was able to stay upright in a bambi brawl. Awesome!

As far as warning bambi via the raucous sounds of the SH, it works both ways, sometimes you scare them into the bush and sometimes you scare them into a meeting with you. At least you live to get dinner out of it anyway. ha

Hey you probably didn't even have time to get scared. Merry Happy
Old 12-25-2012, 05:56 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

Originally Posted by nath981
well as long as you're alright, you won one. If you have compreh insur. you should be cool. You're definitely one of the few I've heard of who was able to stay upright in a bambi brawl. Awesome!

As far as warning bambi via the raucous sounds of the SH, it works both ways, sometimes you scare them into the bush and sometimes you scare them into a meeting with you. At least you live to get dinner out of it anyway. ha

Hey you probably didn't even have time to get scared. Merry Happy

your right there lol. there was no time to get scared! it leaped in front of me out of the dark at 60mph and I don't mean a little ahead of me either I mean right in front of me like 10ft. no time even to to touch brakes or let off throttle (and I was in accellerating mode at the time lol, hence why I probably stayed up due to all the torque was in the the rear tire at that time (I think anyways ). well today my left anckle is swollen a bit but not too bad. glad I wear heavy high top leather boots lol. thinking anything less and my foot probably would look like the plastics on the bike. Steel shank and steel toes are a must.
well I voice my concerns over my wanting my bike repaired to the adjuster over phone and had option of taking it to my local shop but due to hollidays that shop is closed so no way to get any estimates. He said they will send an inspecter out to see bike at my home wed. I don't know but fear that simply due to price of plastic and rotors etc (not to mention labor ) that it will exceed what thier book says it is worth ...so not sure what I am gonna do yet. Hate being broke and at mercy of insurence company ya know.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:30 AM
SuperBike

Here in the UK its sometimes possible to come to an arrangement where the damage is estimated at just below the write-off level.

Did this last time the bike was knocked over and sustained cosmetic damage and so explained to the visiting assessor that I wanted to keep it and rebuild it with second-hand parts. My insurance company happily obliged and I even had a few pounds left over for few tanks of gas :-)
Old 12-25-2012, 07:55 AM
MotoGP

I don't your crash history, insurance co, what other assets you have insured with them, but these can have some effects on your bargaining position.

Let them make you an offer w/o saying anything, and expect that it will be a low-ball offer. These adjusters are working for the company and their job is to save their company $$.

Understand that this settlement is not in stone, that it will be low, and that there is room for concessions. You need to know the worth of your bike pre-wreck and totaled, have your ducks in a row, and be ready to haggle. Do your homework well and you should be fine.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Wow, I would say thank God you are ok. Any crash you can walk away from...

Sad you had to rub out bambi but you are gonna make venison jerky right? I mean you bagged it fair and square. Great testament to keeping the bike up if you keep your head in the game.

I mean if I had a nickel for all those pesky pedestrians (city deer) I have taken out.....

Merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
So horrible that it happened to a yellow bike! They are the best....

If they total it, fix the brakes, radiator from Ebay. Put a headlamp on it and go naked. Lots of options. If you are short on funds right now you can keep it on the road for cheap and fix it when you are in a better way financially.

Glad you made it through the deep strike.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:18 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

update: they settled worked with me on it.....I got 1500. total settlement (after 500 deductable) . with all the parts I looked up prior on ebay I had a shopping list of apx $1470. (oh and that included some new parts like a new full belly pan and another tank ). I am looking at those after market custom painted plastic full body kits they advertise on ebay from hong kong price is around 500. anyone here delt with those before?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 AM
MotoGP

ooohhh, I got some neck pain..........tell you what......give me a medical marijuana script and $1500 and i'll sign off.

seriously, you'd never do that! ha

that's awesome. you're still in business. Glad to hear.

I don't know about those plastics, but some of them sure look tasty. I like the respol graphics, but I'm a little childish for my age. ha
Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

lol he handed me the paperwork and a check, but he never got a signature on anything (think he forgot)
oh as for the plastics I am kinda fondly looking at the black with red flaming
Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by wsharpman
lol he handed me the paperwork and a check, but he never got a signature on anything (think he forgot)
oh as for the plastics I am kinda fondly looking at the black with red flaming
see how ya are. The black with flaming huh, almost as nice, ha, if you're getting the OEM grade and not that plastic ****.

...........when you cash the check, that will likely be the equivalent of signing off.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 AM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
Sorry about your crash, you are truly lucky. My thoughts.......get some oem stuff put it back together and get back on the road!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

Originally Posted by badboyrr
Sorry about your crash, you are truly lucky. My thoughts.......get some oem stuff put it back together and get back on the road!
wish that were possible, however with the prices as they are and the amount of money I got oem just doesn't fit But who cares thats only cosmetic..lol,,, importantly it will be back on the road (and the looks will be very nice lol ) . My only worry is sending out to a company on the internet (ebay) and waiting to see if you get what you are looking at in the add. in otherwords take the plastic body pieces (they look great and shows absolutely all regular body plastic peices) and these are custom painted looking jobs, at a fraction of what it costs for the drab oem ones..too good to be true? each piece of plastic OEM cost's apx $250+ however this whole set is only apx $450. new (oh and we won't even go into all those thrashed used parts floating around that need repair and paint.). down side is also though waiting for them , says can take a month before getting them + they are from HongKong. So not sure. Wish I actually found someone that ordered them before. As I say money limited and only way to get this to work is by following this budget strictly.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:15 PM
SuperBike

This might be relevant...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ed-tank-29364/
Old 12-28-2012, 06:09 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

thanks wicky also nath I also found plenty of other testimonials after looking as well. the website states these are in fact top quality ABS plasic parts and custom painted not some fancy sticker work as I thought (at least according to the website ). So going to order them tomorrow. as it says takes about a month to get so will keep you all updated on this as I see this as a promising option to many hawkers out here if they in fact are as they say. Sure is a lot cheeper and I see no reason to dig deep into your pockets if unessary (at least I can't afford to ). Leaves more money for other mods to do with that money