Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

OEM's Strike Back

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
OEM's Strike Back

Cycle News is reporting that there will indeed be a rival roadracing series featuring 4 classes (probably exactly as they are now) to offer an more palatable alternative to DMG's vision as decreed by the Emporor Edmonson. The new series will probably be announced tommorow.

They are also reporting that Suzuki has offered new 2 year contracts to their riders and advised their support teams to "not do anything stupid" until they hear back from them. The only recalcitrant seems to be Yamaha who has tried (unsuccessfully) to broker a deal between the OEM's and the Emporor.

Gazing into my crystal ball I see major problems for DMG. One example is Daytona. If the factories are not there I doubt if there will be a Daytona Supercross by Honda in 2009. An event that probably generates a much revenue for Daytona as the entire week of the Daytona 200.

I still have the gut feeling that this has gotten so out of hand that the Emporor Edmondson will be deposed soon, maybe in the next 2 weeks.
Ought to be interesting especially after the meeting with track owners this week.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
WOOHOO!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Squid

DogStar is on a distinguished road
Still just a rumor it sounds like but I expect to see it happening, DMG has totally dropped the ball on this, not listening to the OEM's who put a ton of money into the series, trying to change every class for next year without a solid set of rules. What DMG should have done this year was to actually promote the series and try to bring in new fans, change ths Daytona 200 back to real superbikes, switched to FIM WSBK rules for 2009 or 2010. Then in 2010 have superbikes and supersport with the factories and leave superstock and a new supersport class to the privateers. And bring the red bull rookies cup along with them. It just pisses me off to see roadracing run like a joke, no major series sponsor, terrible TV coverage(how can Speed broadcast racing so poorly?), no promotion, terrible race management(they dont even know their own rules). DMG should just try and sell the series to the Flammini bros who have done an amazing job with WSBK.

Did anyone else notice with the AMA superbike race 1 that speed cut to commercial right after after Mladin crossed the line and didnt show anyone else finishing the race? Plus when the race is tape delayed why do they still cut out parts of the race for commercials especially for supersport where they have 15 mins of prerace and 10 mins post race??? Just makes me mad because I see how good the WSBK and MotoGP races are broadcast and I can't figure out why speed can't get it together. Also at the start of the race Speed has this terrible habit of switching to an on board camera looking out the back of the bike of someone who is in 21st place instead of showing the battle for the lead, which is usually the only time you see any battles up front.
Ok done ranting.