General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Lightning strike gauge/instrument cluster dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Squid

Magnus is on a distinguished road
Lightning strike gauge/instrument cluster dead

Hey Forum!

My house was struck by lightning Monday. Doing a bit of CSI investigation, it would appear that the path the surge took was through my irrigation system. From there, it traveled through my Harbor Freight bike lift and then from there, through the battery tender cord. The batter tender and GFI outlet it was plugged into literally blew up. Pics below. Most of the cord of the battery tender was reduced to nothing larger than 1 inch and none of the pieces I found had any copper left in it. So on to the bike (2003)...

The 30A maxi fuse blew which I replaced. The backlight on the gauge cluster comes on as do all the indicator lights below. (high beam, turn, neutral, etc.) The LCD is blank and the tack is not working. From trouble shooting per the shop manual, the speedometer appears to be dead as well but I haven't ridden the bike to be positive since it's all stripped down. All the other fuses are fine, I replaced them all 1 by 1 just to be sure. I do have ignition voltage at the brown/blk wire on the connector behind the gauge and the grounds are fine. Can't locate any shorts.

Anybody have a similar issue before? Can't find anything via search to really help but I'm guessing the gauge cluster is just fried. I have track days Monday/Tuesday and I'm hoping there aren't any other issues.

Also, just replaced the R/R (eBay aftermarket) a few weeks ago. Haven't even ridden the bike yet since swapping. (It's a track bike only at the moment) Think the R/R might be damaged as well? Is there a way to test it? The battery seems to be ok. I took it out of the bike and put on a new tender and it appeared to take the charge and go into maintain mode.

Pics:

Here is what was left of the battery tender:

Here is the GFI and wall behind the bike:

Here's a shot where the lightning traveled. It actually split a few of the retaining blocks in half!!
Old 09-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
This is the most elaborate cover-up of hooking a battery tender up backwards that I have ever seen.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
too funny
Old 09-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Oh, and I'm pretty sure I see Jesus on your wall.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:10 PM
Back Marker

996thehawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
This is the most elaborate cover-up of hooking a battery tender up backwards that I have ever seen.
hahaha

by the way, how the heck did you get that user name??? lol
Old 09-05-2013, 03:50 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
*LMAO*
Old 09-05-2013, 07:03 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Too funny!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I build houses for a living. On three occasions, I have fixed issues with lightning strikes. First off, I want to say lightnight is...just...AWESOME! Yes, it can literally vaporize copper. After what I have seen with houses and how the lightning can follow just about anything and how far it can go (follow plastic, go through several panes of glass and keep going, travel across granite, ect.), I'm sorry to say that your electrical system is most likey fried. You would be ahead of the game by replacing the wire harness and getting a new battery, and a new gauge cluster (or get aftermarket. May I suggest a Veypor gauge. It rocks!). Your ignition system might have been fried as well. Pretty much anything electrical is fried.

Edit: Will your insurance cover anything?

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 09-05-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:24 AM
Squid

Thanks Crux. Still finding things that are fried. Oven, irrigation timer and lots of valves, wireless router, garage door opener, alarm system, etc... Insurance will cover the damage to the house but I'd have to put in a separate claim on the bike which would be separate $500 deductible so probably won't hit that. I'll check out the Veypor gauge. The only stock cluster on eBay is $300!!

I've never seen anything like this as far as lightning goes. We weren't home at the time but it must have been very loud. It hit a tree about 20 feet in the woods behind the retaining wall. Split a few rocks along its path. There were chucks of sod 30 feet from the ditch in the picture above.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hey is that turn 6 at Loudon on a hawk? I love turn 6! This is the SV and Ninja in the same spot.

And man, how bout that lightning huh? I cant believe it hasnt hit me up at the track in Loudon in the camper. The storms in Nahampsha are unreal.

You will have to run tests on the wiring to see whats still connected to what.

But you'll always have turn 6
Attached Thumbnails Lightning strike gauge/instrument cluster dead-may2011race2.jpg   Lightning strike gauge/instrument cluster dead-loudon2010.jpg   Lightning strike gauge/instrument cluster dead-1016135_10200771677907805_998234790_n.jpg  
Old 09-06-2013, 06:42 PM
MotoGP

When you can, test standing voltage across the battery then running, then reving. It should rise to 13-14+ volts if the RR is ok.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Squid

Thanks Joe. Wow, great call! Yep, turn 6. "The Bowl". I'll be there Monday/Tuesday if the Hawk checks out. It seems to run fine. Just no LCD, speed or tach. I'll test the RR tomorrow as you suggest. Just put on SS front lines, swapped the coolant for engine ice and put in some new spark plugs today.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73

But you'll always have turn 6
Those are great shots!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:38 PM
MotoGP

Is it tonys track days? Say hi to Tony, Geno and Steve if so. Engine ice? You should really run water and water wetter on the track, it will save other riders some crashes if you spill.

Be really careful if you have no tach. Sadly thats probly the ecu box, but its very easy to overrev the motor without one and blow it up, which you probly want to avoid.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Squid

Sure is. Free plug for Tony:

http://Tonystrackdays.com

I actually thought engine ice and water w/ water wetter were about the same. No?
Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 PM
MotoGP

I think there are 2 types of engine ice, but wetter is like a capful for the full cooling system, is more heat efficient (which shouldnt be an issue at high speeds).

But the wetter dries better and isnt slippery. Ask at the track but I always hated the idea of crashing out other riders like that.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Looks like you're lucky the whole house didn't burn down!
I would suspect you'll be in the market for a new instrument cluster, and engine computer.
Lightning is terrible stuff because it goes all over the place in an electric circuit and pops whatever components in the system can't deal with a power surge.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Magnus, mmtro1 has an ECU from a '98 for $50 in the classifieds. Don't know if that's the same for your '03, though.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:15 AM
MotoGP

50 clams for an ecu is a steal. I had to replace mine and it was way more even on the bay
Old 09-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
Battery tender should be covered in warrenty.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Squid

I took the bike for a quick ride and it seems to run fine. I just left the cluster unplugged. If the ECU is fried, what symptoms would I see? I left the battery in it last night and it got drained so there is obviously a short somewhere. I really don't want to cancel the track days. My thought is to just put it on the tender in between sessions. I did this last time too when my RR was dead. Any tips on how to test the ECU? What a PITA this has been. But yes, lucky there was not a fire.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Magnus
I took the bike for a quick ride and it seems to run fine. I just left the cluster unplugged. If the ECU is fried, what symptoms would I see? I left the battery in it last night and it got drained so there is obviously a short somewhere. I really don't want to cancel the track days. My thought is to just put it on the tender in between sessions. I did this last time too when my RR was dead. Any tips on how to test the ECU? What a PITA this has been. But yes, lucky there was not a fire.
Actually, with the bike switched off, the ECU/CDI is unlikely to get hit... The lightning takes the path of less resistance, and the cluster is on one of the paths that directly connects to the battery/fuse bypassing the ignition since you have memory for the tacho... The ECU and CDI are on the switched circuit, so it has to jump through more hoops to go that way... Not saying it won't, but if the bike runs, it's highly unlikely they are damaged at all... IC's tend to fail permanently if hit by voltage spikes, not just a little, so it's a case of working or not working, not something in between...

The things that are high on the list of likely casualties, are the battery, the R/R and cluster, actually... if other fuses are OK, the rest SHOULD be fine... No promises though, with lightning...
Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
Tweety is right. I defer to his judgement and experience.
I heard about a rider who was struck by lightning going down Interstate 5 here in Seattle the other day. Here was able to pull the bike over to the shoulder and stop. When he pulled his helmet off, he found his hair was burnt. They guess the lightning followed the rainwater on him down his back and through the bike to ground. I didn't hear whether the bike was damaged. Talk about lucky!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:41 PM
Squid

Well, I made it through two sessions by putting the battery on a charger in between. What ended my day was oil leaking from what appears to be both valve cover gaskets. I haven't dug into it much beyond yet though. Not sure how an electric surge could have caused that but it didn't leak before it. I figure I'll call the insurance company tomorrow to see what they recommend before I try to diagnose/fix the issues myself. What a bummer.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Back Marker

msethhunter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Magnus
Well, I made it through two sessions by putting the battery on a charger in between. What ended my day was oil leaking from what appears to be both valve cover gaskets. I haven't dug into it much beyond yet though. Not sure how an electric surge could have caused that but it didn't leak before it. I figure I'll call the insurance company tomorrow to see what they recommend before I try to diagnose/fix the issues myself. What a bummer.

Probably fried the gaskets with heat. Your bike is probably now magnetized to. I had to get a ferry permit for a little Piper Warrior that was struck by lightening and the mag compass would always point directly to the engine because it was magnetized. If you have a compass, walk around it with one and see where the needle points. I say this because it was enough that the engine had to be scrapped. The crank would collect all the shavings from the engine oil. And we all know what metal shavings can do to an engine if they aren't filtered out.

Turn this in to your insurance company.