Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

Putting a down payment on this ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:54 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Heh, I hope I don't qualify myself for that category now...

But I can personaly vouch for the fact that the "subliter" Shiver outpaces a Superhawk in just about every respect... Be it straight or curvy... and top-end...

95 Hp vs 102 Hp doesn't mean squat... It's a figure, that all... The Shiver is lighther, nimbler, with a great engine... 10 years of improved technology should have some impact, shouldn't it?!

I tried the Duke, and I loved it... For a week... But on a daily basis I'd prefer the Shiver... It's the more sane choice, the two bikes are equally good for touring (Good ergo's, but no windprotection), equal in city traffic, and none of them is even remotely slow... But the Duke is to much for me, to bonkers... I'd feel quilty puttering about... It deserves to be trashed about like a madman driving... It's built for a madman... And if I go for it... Well then I'd feel guilty for losing my license...

It's really the same reason I had once in the beginning for not getting a R1 or GSXR... It's built for a track, if I buy it I want to ride it like it's supposed to be ridden... Not once every second month on a track... I want to do it every time i turn that key...

Well I cant ride my current bike even close to full potential on a puplic road, but I can open it up once in a while on the twisties and ride the wave of torque... I can enjoy it... I can use more than the 1% I'd use on an R1... And that's why I have it...

The shiver is the same... You can do illegal speeds withour even trying... But it's still fun to ride at sane speeds... It works in everyday riding... And if an on a ultra-super-extra-deluxe whatever says his bike is faster... Good for him... I'll still ride my bike and have fun...

And if, mind you if I decide to go in the upper legal speeds in the twisties I'll be really surprised if the average point'n squirt squid comes even close to passing me... And I'm slow...
Old 12-03-2007, 05:14 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
its all about what makes you feel good riding it and reminds you of why bikes are a blast. I think my dirt bike is probably THE most fun I have on a bike - and maybe that is the appeal of the SM styled bikes. and its really not about who has the fastest bike (I know, easy for me to say, mine is yellow!!), but more about what makes you feel good riding it.

I still want a new 'busa though...........
Old 12-03-2007, 07:02 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
I guess that I don't understand why everyone is in a hurry to get a LARGE supermoto, or sport bike for that matter. I understand that the power is fun, and exhilirating...but I think the vtr is damn fast. AND, if you had a regular sized supermoto like the sxv vs. the KTM rc8, superduke, the buell 1125, and the superhawk, you would be hard pressed to keep up in the twisties (like the dragon) cause the bikes weight so much more. I don't think it a wise decision, either, to buy a full naked bike like the sxv and expect to cruise the nation. You can do it, it just wont be all that much fun (physically).
"Claimed" dry weight on the 1125 is 50 POUNDS less than the superhawk (375 vs 426), cranks out 40+ more HP, reasonable ergos like the VTR, and a bigger fuel tank. Yeah, I think I could have more fun.

Goes for the jugular: when adjusted for inflation, the 1125 cost the same as the 97 Superhawk! What a great time to be a rider.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I guess that tweety is getting what I am saying. With the hawk, you can wrap the throttle at anything past 25mph and its going to rip, with both wheels touching (most of the time). The new litre and litre plus bikes, they can't do this until 80mph+++. I want to be "giving her all she's got, captain." And when you are talking about 100hp getting you roughly 165mph, ithnk that's really enough for the streets. Top speeds of 180+ are great on paper, if you want to bench race. BUT, I think we are getting are selves, as a motorcycle culture, into trouble. It reminds me of a nuclear arms race---First you race to see who's got more, then you have a stand off, then you get rid of them cause they are too dangerous. I would hate to see us at that point with moto's, but with the squid population with trust funds, they aren't going to pick a "second rate" bike. They probablyy won't bother to learn how to ride it, and they most likely won't pick there caskets out in advance either.

The thing I know is this: I felt like I was pounding 8penny nails with a 3 lb hammer when I went to the drangon. I saw the SM guys tearing thru, and they looked like they were having a lot more fun then I was just because they were working closer to the power output of the bike, not towards the limits of their capabilities (something I think is harder to manage). Just my $2.52
Old 01-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Aprilia needs to offer a sup-300lb sportbike build around the 550cc motor in their supermotard bike. THAT would be fun.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
holy thread resurrection batman!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:46 PM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drew_c14
Think I'd have to go with the 1125
No f'in way.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:09 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Problem is, I like all the bikes discussed. I have Demoed the 550, Tuono, 1125 and hypermotard. Of those bikes the Hypermotard in the best all around streetbike (less the fuel mileage). The 550 is scary fast and not comfortable + realiability is an issue (lot of engine fails) Tuono does it all well but is a big bike (I am 6'2" 225lbs). The Buell is a great bike lots of power just did not feel sorted out and I did not like the looks. All this being said the Aprilia 750 looks great has good power (do we really need more the 100 to 110hp for the street). It is heavier than the Ducati hyper and priced about the same. I say get what you like best. Cant go wrong with any of them.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Syclone
holy thread resurrection batman!
x2.......
Old 12-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Superstock

NCDave is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drew_c14
Think I'd have to go with the 1125
Originally Posted by superbling
+2
Originally Posted by Thumper
-1 on the 1125

Go with the one you want, its bad a$$ looking. Hell of a lot better looking than the HardleyDavidson. That sucker is as wide as a school bus
+ another 1 for the 1125. Partly because of the prices you can get them at right now, and partly because I can't get past the duck bill on that bike in the picture.

However....whatever turns your crank is all that counts!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
my beef with the Aprilla and The DUC is the puny fuel tank and 100-125 mile range that goes with it.
So my nod would go to the Buell. Especially considering the fire sale prices going on now.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:15 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
x2.......
x22... You resurrected this **** again... 10mos later... ???
Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by loserbaby
x22... You resurrected this **** again... 10mos later... ???
Well their was another post in there that got deleted..... so are looking to up your post count or is their a problem that I'm not aware of??
Old 01-21-2010, 10:08 PM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
Funny... looked to me like you replied to a thread that had been dead for over ten months, and was actually started in 2007. Pretty much a mute point. All I did was what U did. Your welcome for boosting your thread count... check my post history, I could care less about mine.

Last edited by loserbaby; 01-22-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: none
Old 03-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Never Go Full Retard!
Squid

smittyvtf1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Thumper
-1 on the 1125

Go with the one you want, its bad a$$ looking. Hell of a lot better looking than the HardleyDavidson. That sucker is as wide as a school bus

No longer a HD... they stopped that in 2006 i think!!