Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Benefits of putting in a jet kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Benefits of putting in a jet kit

I put in a factory jet kit a while ago now went off there "suggested setting" for the set up that I was running. Took her out and then had to do some tweaking.

So after pulling the tank and carbs 2 times (pita) got her tuned in well.

After riding her for awhile now I notice that she

1)Pulls stronger - all over

2) Has more top end power - she use to ge up to 8K and then fall flat on her face

3) Has less vibration- running at 2K rpm's in 6th gear if you crack the throttle I use to get bad vibration (yes the carbs were synced to within spec)

4) Wheelies easy'er - like it had a problem with that before

I havn't noticed that my gas milage has increased as some people have suggested, but I do have a heavy throttle hand.

The tone that people have with regard to a jet kit is it is hard to tune and is generally a pain in the a$$.

They don't mention that the hassle is worth it, so I am! You get a bike that is smoother, stronger and has no/little flat spots. It also takes care of a few minor annoyance that the Shawks have.

I can't tell you what effect it has on the clunk die issue that some people have - because I never had that problem.

Hope that this has been helpfull to someone.

This challange out to the riders that have made the change, what do you notice?

Please note that putting in a jet kit and tuning it is not as bad as people make it out to be, it is not the second coming of Christ.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Squid

SurfaceHawk
Re: Benefits of putting in a jet kit

I put on a Two Bros low mount and Dyno jet kit, to the suggested settings...only had to adjust once after installation. I increased mileage to 40 MPG and it has stayed that way through 32,000 miles. MUCH more bottom end and, like you stated, does not fall on it's face at 8K rpm. Pulls like a John Deere from 2K all the way up. I tried the K&N airfilter, but found I got a hole in power delivery in the mid-range and went back to the stock filter.