Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

Putting a down payment on this ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:09 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Putting a down payment on this ASAP

http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/aprilia_smv...orsoduro.shtml

And I thought I was gonna break the wallet open for the Buell 1125R, now I see the Aprilia... Looks A LOT like an artists concept rendering I saw once of a Superhawk motor in a Hypermotard style bike on raptorsandrockets.com:

http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/ima...1000_twinr.JPG

95 horses bone stock, upright riding posish, BEAUTIFUL to look at, I AM SOLD.

How bout you?

Last edited by supermarto; 12-02-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:37 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Think I'd have to go with the 1125
Old 12-02-2007, 04:47 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drew_c14
Think I'd have to go with the 1125
+2
Old 12-02-2007, 04:52 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Really? Pray tell? Because it lacks wind protection and such?
Old 12-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Group Buy????
That is a sick looking bike. Then again, still saving my pennys ofr a Hypermotard by Ducati..... so maybe not.....
Old 12-02-2007, 05:20 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by supermarto
Really? Pray tell? Because it lacks wind protection and such?
it's that sub-100 hp that seals the deal for me
Old 12-02-2007, 05:28 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
looks nice. personally I'd prefer the big SM from KTM. The best prospects I've seen for a more modern version of the SH, is that RC8 they are finally releasing.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:33 PM
SuperBike

the RC8 is pretty bad ***
Old 12-02-2007, 05:43 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by superbling
+2
-1 on the 1125

Go with the one you want, its bad a$$ looking. Hell of a lot better looking than the HardleyDavidson. That sucker is as wide as a school bus
Old 12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
SuperBike

I saw the new buell in person at the cycle show. From what I'd read so far I thought it sounded good, and I would really love to see it be a great performing bike -- but from the pictures I was worried it might be a little ugly. But in person, I thought it was actually much better looking. Those big shrouds actually aren't that obvious as they are in the pictures.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:55 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Yes, but the Hypermotard makes 90 hp and weighs 400lbs, NOT TO MENTION Ducatis "cost of maintenance". The RC8 is indeed sick, but the Aprilia was developed to be much less work to maintain than a Duc, bred from their 450/550 supermoto engines which dominate supermotard racing. I can't find dry weight listed anywhere, but the regular shiver 750 weighs 416 lbs. with a whole lot more bodywork and hardware bolted on... I love the swingarm on this bike, along with the brakes and frame too...

Don't get me wrong the Buell is awesome and I hope they put that motor in a Ulysses type bike which I am sure they will much to the chagrin of Hardly owners and enthusiasts already on the fence about Eric Buells creations.

I sat on a BMW Mega Moto and I could hardly touch the ground at that bitch felt like it weighed 6000 lbs. I am just not sold on the Hypermotard, although it is beautiful to look at. As for KTM, I love what they are doing too, but their bikes are just plain fugly.

Last edited by supermarto; 12-02-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Back Marker

Besucher98
Nice Aprilia, super nice looking tricked out Mx'er! LOL

Seriously though, I'd love to try it out!
Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'd rather take the Shiver... A mate just took delivery of his... He promptly started ordering all the upgrades available and then some... took him about a week to scare it up past the 100bhp mark (and then some...)

And I can tell you it's a fun little toy, it feels really small compared to the superchicken, but it's a damned hooligan...
Old 12-02-2007, 08:00 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Now thats what I am talking about... the Buell is a beaut, for sure, but I am looking to do a little more "Urban Assault" than it looks like it would deliver. Hooligan IS the word...
Old 12-03-2007, 05:36 AM
MotoGP

For pure Hooliganism (is that a word?) I'd take the Superduke thoo... But the Shiver is nicer once you calm down... Silky smooth as long as you are cruising, a little less bottom end grunt than the superchicken, but no big difference, and once you wind it it becomes angry at the world...
Old 12-03-2007, 09:04 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
OOOOO, makes me shiver. But really, I think the name sucks, the bike rules. The frame is awesome. I have been thinking of a supermoto, but I seriously can afford to own a mattel model right now, and that's about it.
Bill
Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 AM
The Underdog
Back Marker

Edwards07 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drew_c14
the RC8 is pretty bad ***
Thats what i'm waiting to put my money on. March '08 right?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:41 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Edwards07
Thats what i'm waiting to put my money on. March '08 right?
Haven't seen a date yet. But I think the price is going to be beyond my budget.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM
SuperBike

I'm hoping the price is at most not higher than base 1098. the website isn't a lot of help, but they do have a cool video. I would say this guy can ride.

http://www.ktm-rc8.net/
Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
The KTM 990 SuperDuke (http://www.990superduke.com/) would rock that little Aprilia's world...

Those Supermotos are nice but the Duc's price & maintenance is just a little over the top making it impractical to actually ride...

If I were to upgrade right now it would be the RC8 (http://www.ktm-rc8.net/) cuz despite being powerful and all you'd need the Buell 1125R is butt-ugly
Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
-1 on the 1125

For the longest time, I thought the 1125 was a beauty, even with those "giant" sides. Then I saw it in person. The sides aren't bad at all, but it's a -lot- wider across the nose then I thought. I think my butt is stuck on the 'hawk for some time to come.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:30 AM
MotoGP

There is one reason and one reason only that I haven't bough a Superduke... I'd be taking the bus to work in less than a week... That bike is custom ordered for going bonkers, and nothing else.. The RC8 is just it's bigger brother putting on a suit to look smart... I belive it's got the same loony persona once you fire it up...
Old 12-03-2007, 11:34 AM
SuperBike

that is funny. but outside of a long commute, what could be better? I need a little go-bonkers time before and after work!!

Originally Posted by Tweety
There is one reason and one reason only that I haven't bough a Superduke... I'd be taking the bus to work in less than a week... That bike is custom ordered for going bonkers, and nothing else.. The RC8 is just it's bigger brother putting on a suit to look smart... I belive it's got the same loony persona once you fire it up...
Old 12-03-2007, 11:41 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Tweety's right of course, but man what a rush it would be riding either KTMs to work!
Old 12-03-2007, 11:43 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Personally i like the Aprilia SXV 550

http://www.apriliausa.com/modelli/of...lo.asp?id=111#

AMA Unlimited class champion,

550, F.I. V-Twin.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rthh...feature=related
Old 12-03-2007, 11:58 AM
MotoGP

I had a supeduke as a loaner for a week this summer when an backed into my parked bike... The insurance company just said to go park it at the Honda Center and they get around to it in a while... once there I told them in no unspecific term that this was my main vehicle for commute to work, they said tough luck... So I shouted a bit at Honda Sweden on the phone and got the OK to take it to the lokal shop (certified, but not "Honda Center") where I know all the mechanics... and they gave me the choice of a VFR, Yamaha something or other with lots of chrome, and the duke... For some reason Mike had the duke warmed up in the lot before I had signed all the damned papers... Guess he knows me to well...

Only problem is that they fixed my bike in record time, for some reason Honda had ALL the parts in stock (that never happens when I need it!) so I didn't get to play for long...
Old 12-03-2007, 12:09 PM
SuperBike

I guess that I don't understand why everyone is in a hurry to get a LARGE supermoto, or sport bike for that matter. I understand that the power is fun, and exhilirating...but I think the vtr is damn fast. AND, if you had a regular sized supermoto like the sxv vs. the KTM rc8, superduke, the buell 1125, and the superhawk, you would be hard pressed to keep up in the twisties (like the dragon) cause the bikes weight so much more. I don't think it a wise decision, either, to buy a full naked bike like the sxv and expect to cruise the nation. You can do it, it just wont be all that much fun (physically).
Old 12-03-2007, 12:18 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
I guess that I don't understand why everyone is in a hurry to get a LARGE supermoto, or sport bike for that matter. I understand that the power is fun, and exhilirating...but I think the vtr is damn fast. AND, if you had a regular sized supermoto like the sxv vs. the KTM rc8, superduke, the buell 1125, and the superhawk, you would be hard pressed to keep up in the twisties (like the dragon) cause the bikes weight so much more. I don't think it a wise decision, either, to buy a full naked bike like the sxv and expect to cruise the nation. You can do it, it just wont be all that much fun (physically).
And that is the reason I'm staying with my superchicken... AND doing an upgrade with a 1000RR front... It just fits...
Old 12-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

I'm in no hurry to upgrade either cuz my Superhawk is plenty strong enough for my needs and cheap to keep unlike those high dollar Supermotos
Old 12-03-2007, 12:40 PM
SuperBike

i guess i thought the 450-750 ish supermoto style bikes were cool cause they were subliter. But then you've got some jag holes that are like, "my model rocket accelerates faster". That's really not the point, and they are not in the same class. Comparing a 1125,990, or 1190, or even 996 for that matter, to a 750 is a bunch of apple to oranges comparison.

Oh yeah, i am kidding about the jag holes thing. I am not referring to anyone on this forum, as much as the my dad has a _______and its faster then your______ kids.

Quick Reply: Putting a down payment on this ASAP