Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

No more Buell

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Consumer Reports...

Their highest rated cars are Lexus LS400, BMW 3 series, and Honda Accord.

Ummm.. wait.. so are mine!

I like the CTS - one of the few GM vehicles I admire. I'll wait 30 months and get one for 60% off.

Seriously though, this is a Motorcycle news topic on Buells. Tired of ranting about cars.
In my local Craigs list is a 2008 1125 for $5700! and I hear maybe that isn't such a hot price? Perhaps when it hits $4K I'll pick one up
CTS-V
Old 10-20-2009, 11:27 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
You're saying they probably always will suck ***? How is that "straight cold objectivity"?

I'm guessing your family members that ride Harley's don't think they suck. But of course, they're biased, and you're not.
my family members that ride harley get out and ride about 5 times a year. so reliability isn't a requirement for them. and I said "probably" always suck. if they make some huge change and join the 21st century, then maybe my opinion will change. and yes, I am open to it changing. but how long do you hold out hope? they've been technologically behind for almost half a century. there is no reason to think they will improve. not since their last groundbreaker of implementing rubber mounts! talk about state of the art! buell was the only redeeming factor that harley had going for them in my opinion. I know I'm biased because I don't ride cruisers, but from my point of view, there is now officially no reason for harley to exist anymore.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:17 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Wow this conversation just gets more and more intelligent doesn't it? Since that's the RULE please enlighten us-what exactly does a bike have to do to "suck ***?" .
uhm, not run? leak oil? run poorly, employ ancient poorly designed tech, in general disappoint... let me know when I get to something harley's don't do.

I worked at a Harley rental shop some years back. I never thought much of Harleys before that simply because they weren't my style and I never had much opportunity to ride them. Had a ton of fun riding them, and still love to whenever I get the chance. Sure they're different and need to be ridden a little different-they aren't sportbikes. Don't ever remember one of the bikes ever having any kind of mechanical issues besides when some fool would occasionally crash one. .
and here is our token exception-to-the-rule story.

I'll let you in on a little secret...besides those who are a little more mature and open minded (usually those over 21 who went to college & don't post up on here asking if their superhawk will beat their buddies GSXR because they don't care), to much of the rest of the sportbike community a SUPERHAWK sucks ***. It's old, it's slow, etc, etc, blah, blah. Yet we love them because for what WE like they suit us just fine. I don't need some kid on his hayabusa to "educate" me on "how much better" his bike is because it makes 180hp. I can't stand that youtube comment mentality where what "I" like rules and everything else sucks ***. And yes I think the guys who ride Harleys who think everything else sucks are jackasses too. I won't even acknowledge your last assinine statement. I know how hip it is nowadays to knock everything that comes out of this country.
I don't know who you're refering to, I don't think any member of this forum falls within your description. you say hawkriders are different because they DO appreciate a bike that isn't the tip top performer that some repliracers are. so who does this rant apply to? me? I'd hope not. I'm well over 21, I went to college, I don't care about gixxers. and no, harley laptimes don't concern me. I don't watch youtube, I don't want a busa, and I think nearly every major bike manufacturer is fine. just not harley. and as for my last statement,

I won't even acknowledge your last assinine statement. I know how hip it is nowadays to knock everything that comes out of this country.
looks like an acknowledgement to me.

I love my country. that doesn't change the fact that when it comes to bikes, as of now, especially now that buell is gone, we have very little to offer the riders of the world. I'm not knocking everything that comes out of this country. no need to over-dramatize what I said. I guess I could have been more specific, but I assumed that it would be taken in context. so to clarify, harley, and just harley SUCKS. victory might but honestly I don't know. I know this dispute won't go anywhere. so respond if you want but I've said my peace. unless you respond with insults,(you'll notice I didn't) I won't be banging my drum on this issue again.

Last edited by swordfish; 10-20-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
Anybody heard rumors that Yammie is looking at buying Buell?

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97960
Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Back Marker

j_frank is on a distinguished road
Now that I own an 08 xb12r I'm a bit pissed off...but what about
MV Agusta, I understand that HD owned a commanding share of them
as well as Buell
Old 10-21-2009, 07:44 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
The sad thing about folks wishing for Harley and GM to die and implode is that the only people who will suffer from that are the masses of poor bastards who work there looking to feed their families. The handful of bastards who would actually be responsible for running the company into the ground I'm sure will all get huge severance packages and bonuses if that day ever comes.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:52 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by aka Yamadog
Anybody heard rumors that Yammie is looking at buying Buell?

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97960
I heard this one, but I don't know if yamaha is legally allowed to aquire buell. I don't know the legalities of it, but if they did aquire buell, that would be one of the best moves I've seen a big 4 manufacturer make in a long time. yamaha hasn't had a sport twin in a loooong time. I think the last one was in the early 90's? I'm sure some of you know better than me. how awsome would that be? I've officially got my fingers crossed.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:56 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
The sad thing about folks wishing for Harley and GM to die and implode is that the only people who will suffer from that are the masses of poor bastards who work there looking to feed their families.
I'd rather cut out the middleman and pay them directly. How much of your tax dollars are left for subsidizing workers after the government and ceos take their cut?

Its unfortunate yes, but those poor bastards aren't entitled to **** if you ask me. The writing has been on the wall for a long time at GM. Those workers should be looking for a way out before its too late, not sucking on the teet until the milk dries out. I can't speak for Buell.

Hello Supply, meet demand...
Old 10-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Squid

nwellinghoff is on a distinguished road
I saw the Yamaha rumor too...some guy on a yamaha message board made it up and is having a good laugh now...
Old 11-28-2009, 06:20 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Looks like there's still a glimmer of life left in Buell.

http://www.sportrider.com/news/146_0...ing/index.html

Last edited by nath981; 11-28-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
I'll bet that HD has tied him up with a non-competitive clause that prohibits him from doing anything with streetbikes - the whole situation stinks badly!
Old 11-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
I just bought a VTR but kept my 2003 Buell Lightning. The Buell is a love / hate bike, folks either scowl when they seek it or love the looks. Personally I love the bike. Quirky, fairly quick with lot of bottom end and steers like a rabbit on ecstasy. Looks as goofy as fxxx but I like that.
And I feel sooo bad for Eric Buell....
Attached Thumbnails No more Buell-p1010787.jpg   No more Buell-p1010788.jpg  
Old 11-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Squid

easton24 is on a distinguished road
I bought a 2000 buell x1 back then. So it had the sportster engine. It was a beautiful bike but had way too many issues. Oil leaks before I reached 500 miles. Front brakes warped the front rotor before I hit 1500 miles. The whole front brakes were replaced. Speedometer went out had to be replaced. After many times of taking it in for oil blowing out of the breather bolt. The dealer could never fix it. Until the warranty went out. Talked to the buell / hd reference getting the bike to stop spraying oil on my right leg they said I might need the topend freshened. I ask if they would do that. He said it would be at my expense. I then told him the bike is not barely a year old and the engine needs to be rebuilt. I told him what a piece of crap they sold and I would never buy anything from there company again. A week later I had a brand new rc 51. And never looked back. So I think buell/hd pretty much got what was coming to them. When you sell crap and dont stand by your product usually the consumers stop buying your product. It just took nine years.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:24 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
+1 that would **** me off too. What did you expect, after all it was a Harley.

I believe he was under duress from HD, but if he wasn't he got what he deserved. I think when he started using the Rotax, he was comin around and probably his latest iterations were approximating higher quality, but that's my feelings, I really don't know.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:25 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Easton, although I love my Buell, if I had your experience with a bike and a dealer then I would feel the same....and yes, I would have the same opinion of Buell.
That said, my Lightning has been nothing but great, with no issues. Even on the Buell forums I read the horror stories and realise I must have got lucky!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CANADAVTR
I just bought a VTR but kept my 2003 Buell Lightning. The Buell is a love / hate bike, folks either scowl when they seek it or love the looks. Personally I love the bike. Quirky, fairly quick with lot of bottom end and steers like a rabbit on ecstasy. Looks as goofy as fxxx but I like that.
And I feel sooo bad for Eric Buell....
Although I never owned on I too ALMOST purchased a Buell Lightning. I loved the looks, size and the fact it was a twin. Wasn't thrilled with the power but understood the limitation of the motor.

So, somebody make a kit to fit that 1125 Rotax motor in there and I'll be the first to buy it.