General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Buell experience?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:24 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Buell experience?

This may seem like a strange place to post this, but I'm wondering if any of my fellow SH'ers own or have extensively ridden a buell XB model. I've demo'd them a few times and despite what most people think of them, I thought they were great fun. Laughing out loud in my helmet kinda fun. In fact, I had every intention of buying one until my local H-D (and begrudgingly Buell) dealer pissed me off. I came home and started looking at ads online, and found the SH.

I'm not looking for which bike is quicker in the 1/4, or any general anecdotes regarding H-D products. I just wanna know what people think of them, compared with a benchmark I'm familiar with. I'll tell you that based upon what I remember from my demo rides, the suspention was wonderful. Very compliant over bumps/holes. I felt like it was a smoother ride than my Wing. Power seemed good, and definately easily accesible. And I like the belt drive. Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 05-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
I had the chance to demo one on a track day and thought the Buell was alot of fun. Great steering, low center of gravity, and I think they look good too. Too bad they have an out of date engine and transmission in them. The dealers think very high of them also but all in all a cool bike. PS they dont like anything above 5500RPM. I forgot I was not on the Hawk in a front straight gave it full throttle in third. Just when I thought I was getting in the meat of what would be the SH's power I heard a nasty popping knocking sound from below and realized the Buell was crying for an upshift. Footpegs scrap too soon also.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
I rented one for a weekend while in PA a couple of years ago. I enjoyed beating it into submission. It handled nice and did crazy wheelies.

I would not turn one down if someone gave me one. I would most likely not buy one unless I came across a screaming deal.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
I rode a buddies 05'(?) Ulysses and found it to be a pretty cool bike. The stupid fan on the rear cylinder though, sounds like a very very loud vacuum cleaner when it comes on (often). The suspension was very good aside from the fact that it pitches through the first 4 inches of travel any time you get on the very good brakes. It handled great though for big sweepers at high speed. The power band is wierd, as mentioned before; just when it feels like things are getting good, it slams into the rev limiter. Very tractor like power delivery. Overall an interesting (in a good way) ride. Way way way too tall though. I'm 5' 10" and could only get tiptoes down.

-R
Old 05-06-2007, 05:08 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
They do give nice freebies, tho. Buell seems to be always giving something away. This time, it's a messenger type bag with a strap to secure it while riding. Pretty nice stuff, with a laptop compartment. And my favorite price...
Old 05-06-2007, 05:45 AM
Squid

Derek is on a distinguished road
My buddy has a XB9R firebolt and i think it's a blast to ride. I would'nt mind seeing one parked next to my hawk in the garage. Riding around on it people don't really know what to think....it looks like a sportbike but sounds like a harley...I would definatly get the XB12R eventually.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Back Marker

05xman is on a distinguished road
I was going to but the xb12 untill I found the hawk. my buddy has one and he ride the **** out of it. He;s got like 15k on it and not a single problem.
Old 05-06-2007, 06:50 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
I finally demo'd a couple of the new XB series Buells this past week. Both the Ulysses and XB12 Lightning had bump smothering suspension, competent brakes, and comfortable ergos. But both transmissions were real notchy with a hard to find neutral. The back cylinder threw off too much heat. And the vibration level at idle is embarrassing. Fit and finish were underwhelming. But I give Eric Buell a lot of credit for not following the herd mentality. Whether it's fuel in the frame, oil in the swingarm, or that big front perimeter brake he goes his own way. The salesman handling my demo volunteered, "We sell these things at invoice, just to get 'em out of here." Not exactly a ringing endorsement. But I'll take the freebie bag they kindly offered, thanks. A VTR with a handlebar conversion is a much better proposition IMO.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:13 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Yea, most Buell dealers don't seem to want to be bothered. I think they look at it as taking up floor space that could be used for a high margin H-D. It's interesting how some of Buell's ideas are starting to be adopted by the mainstream manufacurers, like the underslung exhaust now used by Kawasaki on the 650 Ninja, and to a lesser extent, the new gsxr. He definately designs "out of the box".
Old 05-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Squid

frogpirate is on a distinguished road
I test rode a XB12Ss Lighting Long. Thought it was a hoot of fun. Like bluevtr sais, I thouhgt it smoothed bumps as well as my GL-1800 'wing. Felt like a bicycle under me, very flickable without being at all nervous. Nice power down low; I never really tried to rev it out though. My stealer likes them (my sales man rides one) but they ask MSRP + freight + prep, in all $1,500 OVER MSPR. No way Jose`! Used ones here are better, but I can pick up a SH for the same $$, and it's a Honda. ;-)

The Buell forums identify enough problems that I'd be leery of buying one without a warrenty.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
I rented one of these for my brother for a day and we took turns on it (he'd ride my SH while I rode the XB9). It was a fun bike. The front center is so short you feel like you're sitting on the front tire and the handlebars are so close it's like they are in your lap. I'm 6'4" so take all that with a grain of salt.

Despite the bikes seemingly strange dimentions the thing handled very neutral and I really liked the big single front disc. It did not have the initial grab of the best brakes but it did have bottomless modulation. It was pretty confidence inspiring. I was not crazy about the engine's narrow rev range (redlines at 6500) and broad gearing. It's a really cool bike but I can only own one bike and this would not be an "only" bike for me.

Now if somebody would make a reasonably priced 5 gallon tank for the SH...
Old 05-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Superstock

Speed_Demon is an unknown quantity at this point
They are great bikes although I don't like the harley engine. We got one on the dyno and it was hilarious. It had a higher torque number than hp. Mathematically that means it cannot reach 5750rpm. The numbers were pretty pathetic too but after riding with a guy on an xb12 I'd say it keeps up better than I thought it would. The guy was estimating 100rwhp with all his mods... more like 71.

Pros:
Great handling
decent performance

Cons:
harley reliability
heavy vibration at idle
Old 05-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nineighthawk
I rented one for a weekend while in PA a couple of years ago. I enjoyed beating it into submission. It handled nice and did crazy wheelies.

I would not turn one down if someone gave me one. I would most likely not buy one unless I came across a screaming deal.
C'mon Dave...explain what really happened...and how you offered to buy it...
Old 05-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Squid

CB160 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rooster
I had the chance to demo one on a track day and thought the Buell was alot of fun. Great steering, low center of gravity, and I think they look good too. Too bad they have an out of date engine and transmission in them. The dealers think very high of them also but all in all a cool bike. PS they dont like anything above 5500RPM. I forgot I was not on the Hawk in a front straight gave it full throttle in third. Just when I thought I was getting in the meat of what would be the SH's power I heard a nasty popping knocking sound from below and realized the Buell was crying for an upshift. Footpegs scrap too soon also.
That "out of date" engine, in mild Sportster tune, produces more torque @3750 than our SuperChickens can muster @6250 and above.Torque puts smiles on faces,Ace. Gonna git me an old tube-frame S3T and my face will look like the Joker's! You can keep ever "strangled cat" 10grand screamer ever made.BTW, if the lean angle on the Buell don't suit you, how come you ain't beatin up on Rossi?I ain't seen you draftin' past Spies, have I?
Old 05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Back Marker

Who is this loser? All I can tell you is at the track my stock superhawk would leave them in the straights and I could pass on the outside in the turns on 95% of the Buells (stock vs stock). Its not because im a great rider. Hell for that matter, I have just been riding for one year but I can tell you I use all of my tires how bot you?I will take my liquid cooled 1000cc any day over your 1200cc air cooled but you know what they say about a$$holes, everyone has one. BTW I think HD are cool but just too overpriced for me and at 6'2" I am way too big for the sportster. See you on the roads.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
Yea, I was spending a lot of time on BadWeb, the buell forum, and it seemed like there were rampant probs being reported daily. I was definately leery of mechanical issues w/the buell. But for some reason I still want one next.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Squid

Who is this loser? All I can tell you is at the track my stock superhawk would leave them in the straights and I could pass on the outside in the turns on 95% of the Buells (stock vs stock). Its not because im a great rider. Hell for that matter, I have just been riding for one year but I can tell you I use all of my tires how bot you?I will take my liquid cooled 1000cc any day over your 1200cc air cooled but you know what they say about a$$holes, everyone has one. BTW I think HD are cool but just too overpriced for me and at 6'2" I am way too big for the sportster. See you on the roads.
"Loser"? Haha! Where do YOU do 95% of YOUR riding. So you blow by bikes around the outside. Good for you (and?....). So you leave 'em for dead on the straights.(Mine's bigger than Yours syndrome) Well then THAT bike MUST be the world's greatest since sliced bread and everybody else who doesn't see that Must be "losers"! I"ve learned through years of seat time that it's not about whether your tires are feathered in to the max ( on the street!), or you can drag your knee @ will,OR you've got the newest,trickest,fastest set of wheels in town. If "it" grabs you by the heart and squeezes, "it's" for you!If you like "it" you'll PAY THE PRICE. Rectums are plentiful. SO are our choices. Take your pick. Don't try to convince me your choice is the only rational one. I love Buells, but all but Ulysses are too small for human comfort I.M.H.O. BTW, you're 6'2" and you LIKE riding in a fetal position? I bought my SuperChicken salvage because : Low miles/ relaxed riding position( of most sportbikes)/ doesn't look like something out of Alien/it's light, fast (enough)/ and handles (well enough FOR ME). Won't be @ the track, might go to the strip once, though. I've ridden KTM"s , Ducatis, and am a fixture @ Harley's factory test ride each year. But what makes me breathe fire is something like Mert Lawwill makes out of a Sportster. Or Steve Storz,either. Not just what they do, but what they do TO ME!.If these don't raise your pulse, you are NOT a freak or a loser. Opinions vary.Go your own way, and enjoy it!
Old 05-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
pwned....to each his own...
Old 05-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Squid

chico33
I own a '03 Buell 9r and a '04 SH, enjoy both. Buell has 23k trouble free miles, SH has 18k miles and only prob was the RR.
Buell parts are cheaper
The archaic eng gets 50-60mpg and will pull to redline in 5th(7500-130mph)
but clatters at idle, has very good fuel injection and a self-diagnosing ECM. It's rubber mounted and is smooth at speed. Belt is maintenance free and has no slop in dtriveline.
Trans takes a firm foot to shift, but is bullet proof.
Haven't weighed them but the Buell feels quite a bit lighter.
Good fully adj suspension and excellent brakes.
I'm less tired after a long ride on the SH than the Buell
Both are good at wearing tires out.
Rooster, I don't know what kind of Buell you were riding that redlined at 5500, 12 revs to 6800 and the 9 will rev to 7500 without any strange noises,
also if you are draging foot pegs on a R, you are a talented rider.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 PM
Back Marker

Where is hell is this coming from. I ride in Southeast TN, NC, and North GA. Down here every road has a curve in it so sitting on a 700lb bike does nothing for me . If you remember dumba$$ ,YOU jumped on me about wanting to ride like Rossi. Hell yea, I want to be a better rider dont you? Like I said Harley's have air cooled pushrod motors that run out of guts way too early IMO. They are great for: Bar hopping, getting girls, getting to buy those assless chaps, making a bike payment for about 10 years, buying lots of chrome, standing in parking lots telling your buddies how gay those sportbikes are (while wearing assless chaps),and riding on the highways. You are right, none of this stirs my sole. Bluevtr asked what people thought of the Buell and I told him. It sounds like you have Little Man's Syndrum since You are calling me out becuase I didnt feel HD's engine is the Best in the World and you are trying to tell me different.The Fetal Position is not bad but I am young so what. One of the main reasons I picked the SH was I felt like I fit on it compared to other sportbikes. To each their own, Funny thing about this forum is how open-minded everybody is toward other brands and bikes. I would expect this kind of garbage from other forums. I guess I deserve this for being dumb enough to reply to you in the first place. I m going to bed now. Till tomarrow.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm testing an XB12R on Friday. I've been really wanting to do a test ride on one of these.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:11 AM
Squid

Where is hell is this coming from. I ride in Southeast TN, NC, and North GA. Down here every road has a curve in it so sitting on a 700lb bike does nothing for me . If you remember dumba$$ ,YOU jumped on me about wanting to ride like Rossi. Hell yea, I want to be a better rider dont you? Like I said Harley's have air cooled pushrod motors that run out of guts way too early IMO. They are great for: Bar hopping, getting girls, getting to buy those assless chaps, making a bike payment for about 10 years, buying lots of chrome, standing in parking lots telling your buddies how gay those sportbikes are (while wearing assless chaps),and riding on the highways. You are right, none of this stirs my sole. Bluevtr asked what people thought of the Buell and I told him. It sounds like you have Little Man's Syndrum since You are calling me out becuase I didnt feel HD's engine is the Best in the World and you are trying to tell me different.The Fetal Position is not bad but I am young so what. One of the main reasons I picked the SH was I felt like I fit on it compared to other sportbikes. To each their own, Funny thing about this forum is how open-minded everybody is toward other brands and bikes. I would expect this kind of garbage from other forums. I guess I deserve this for being dumb enough to reply to you in the first place. I m going to bed now. Till tomarrow.
Sirra, it was I, CB160 who made references to Rossi and Spies. Nobody " called you out". It seems you are "self-wound", and you've veered off into the shrubs.NO Buell ways 700#.No one is talking about "R.U.B.bies",or bar-hoppers. EVERYTHING OLD AIN'T BAD, or useless.Faced it, you used emotionally charged language to "demean" an engine design developed decades ago, I responded in kind. You like the " racer's tuck"? Go for it. I hope you are as flexible/ comfortable when you're 56. The SuperChicken is more than fine, it's underrated and un appreciated. Like Harleys they are a STARTING POINT. What don't suit you, change it. Make it yours! I've got Renthal low superbars and Moose risers ready for installation. I learned of all this FROM OTHER KIND MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM, who were willing to share their acquired knowledge. Yeah,I DO want to ride better than I do FOR the terrain I'm travelling. ( SEE the video of Ruben Xaus @ the Hypermotard introduction on Sardinia!) I wish we ALL could ride like that, and had the wisdom to know when and where to use such skills. An air-cooled VTwin (w/ a long heritage) spinning @ 6 grand makes ME want to fight a circle saw. I also would kill for the new Hypermotard ( complete w/ Xaus as personal trainer) If that makes me dual-minded, a loser or a threat to you and your beliefs, so be it. That's my opinion. I'm not against you. You are NOT a brain-less twit. WE have in common a joy in motorcyling, the experience and sensations. We LIVE when mobile; Centaurs, modern-day horsemen ,if you would. BTW, cowboys wore "***-less chaps" 'cause thorns and brush didn't grow that high. Ride What you want, How you want. Agree on THAT!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by chico33
I own a '03 Buell 9r and a '04 SH, enjoy both. Buell has 23k trouble free miles, SH has 18k miles and only prob was the RR.
Buell parts are cheaper
The archaic eng gets 50-60mpg and will pull to redline in 5th(7500-130mph)
but clatters at idle, has very good fuel injection and a self-diagnosing ECM. It's rubber mounted and is smooth at speed. Belt is maintenance free and has no slop in dtriveline.
Trans takes a firm foot to shift, but is bullet proof.
Haven't weighed them but the Buell feels quite a bit lighter.
Good fully adj suspension and excellent brakes.
I'm less tired after a long ride on the SH than the Buell
Both are good at wearing tires out.
Rooster, I don't know what kind of Buell you were riding that redlined at 5500, 12 revs to 6800 and the 9 will rev to 7500 without any strange noises,
Thanks for your eval. Mebbe others will try one on. ( see American Sportbikes)
Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Sgt Rock
I'm testing an XB12R on Friday. I've been really wanting to do a test ride on one of these.
" If Harley built an airplane, would you fly in it?" MOST DEFINITELY! The Harleys and Mr. Davidson were tinkering in their little backyard shack, when the Wright Bros. (bicycle mechanics!) were getting the world off the ground!
I don't know what Sochiro Honda was up to. Early aircraft engines turned low revs,too. Strong, simple,low stress powerplants were the rule.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:36 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CB160
" If Harley built an airplane, would you fly in it?" MOST DEFINITELY! The Harleys and Mr. Davidson were tinkering in their little backyard shack, when the Wright Bros. (bicycle mechanics!) were getting the world off the ground!
I don't know what Sochiro Honda was up to. Early aircraft engines turned low revs,too. Strong, simple,low stress powerplants were the rule.
Still are, a piston engine in an airplane is about the most archaic design you will find for one simple reason: reliability. They still have mixture controls.. Been a while since you have seen that on a car or bike.

In fact: http://www.ultralightflyer.com/airshow-snf05/21.html
Old 05-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Back Marker

iamanonymous is on a distinguished road
xb9r is a better bike. higher redline, better "feel". have friends that have xb12r and xb9r i have ridden both on street and track. xb12 seat is great. both vibrate badly. front cylinder is prone to oil sending failure or something. they run hot, transmission sucks. power wishes it had a higher redline. all in all, there's a reason why u can get a 2 yr old one for 1/4 the original sticker price.....harley sportster motors and transmissions suck. bad. everything else about the bike is totally awesome though. shawk is a better bike imo one it is tailored to you......
Old 05-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by lazn
Still are, a piston engine in an airplane is about the most archaic design you will find for one simple reason: reliability. They still have mixture controls.. Been a while since you have seen that on a car or bike.

In fact: http://www.ultralightflyer.com/airshow-snf05/21.html
So therefore.... everything that isn't present day or cutting edge is invalid??
Old 05-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Squid

PIGS DO FLY!! Thanks for the pg.ref.!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:17 PM
Back Marker

It was a Lightning 1200 long, The pegs felt like they were lower than the SH's and the peg feelers are molded into the peg. So short of changing pegs,
you are stuck with the ground clearance. No, I am not talented as I said in prior post in this tread. I just got lucky that my friends are talented and are helping me become a better rider (maybe not safer).
Old 05-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
They are great for: Bar hopping, getting girls, getting to buy those assless chaps

Ha Ha he said assless chaps

Quick Reply: Buell experience?