Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

No more Buell

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 AM
Squid

nwellinghoff is on a distinguished road
No more Buell

http://buell.com/en_us/

No matter what you think of H-D this is dissapointing from a motorcycle enthusiast standpoint.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'd say it's dissapointing from any standpoint... I didn't feel their bikes was right for me, but they where still really nice bikes with a bit of that oddball quirkiness to them that makes them special...
Old 10-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Goddammit this sucks. Once again we have no stateside sportbike builder.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:02 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I've always admired Erik Buell. He sounds devastated. I'm really sorry Buell is gone.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
Harley continues to amaze me in the Milwaukee area. from closing its Capitol Drive plant to now Buell.

Soon Harley will be in China and Mexico not Milwaukee. aside from the huge economic loss, I say good riddance to a horrible company.

they for some reason have this voodoo trance on people with their bikes, why that is I dont know... hopefully people see what they really are!!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 07:12 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Moto Man
Once again we have no stateside sportbike builder.
http://www.fischer1.com/
http://www.roehrmotorcycles.com/

It does suck to see him close shop. Touching speech. +1, the bikes just didn't appeal to me. I was excited to hear they were switching to Rotax, but the looks of that bike is horrible.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:33 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I have always been a huge fan of cross grain type thinking, especially when it works. I thought buell did a great job with what they had available to them. I think in a few more years with the right funding they could have really made a difference.

Oh and Harley introduced 9 more models this year, none of which I can see much difference other than "that one has bags".
Old 10-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
This is a real shame. I know a guy that has worked with Eric and says that he is very inovative yet extremely stubborn lol. I thought the new motor was really going to turn things around. They really have been struggling for years, but not like this. Wonder where Danny Eslick will go to? He was killing it this year in the formula extreme or what ever that class is called now. Buell will be missed..
Old 10-15-2009, 08:10 AM
Superstock

Galaxieman is an unknown quantity at this point
This is not good. The big-3 fiasco earlier this year was bad. This is more of the same underlying issue. Things are going to get much, much worse before they get better. Expect atrocious numbers for Christmas sales in retail, etc, etc. Not trying to sound too doom and gloom, but this is a bad thing, and a harbinger of worse things to come.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:26 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
+10 on that no more Pontiac, Saturn, Buell and there will be others. De Simone BMW, Ducati in Cherry Hill NJ just anounced they wil be closing nov 25th.

By american before the chinese own it! Oh **** they already bought it. Who the f' is resposible for this. Find them and hang them!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Squid

Gorwin64 is on a distinguished road
Man that sucks. I test rode a XB12Ss, and it was a lot of fun. The bike handled really well, and even though it was the harley engine, it pulled hard and made a unique sound. I would have loved to try one of those buell bikes with the Rotax engine that would actually scream up to 10k RPM.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:48 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Not kewl
Old 10-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
What the F is DMG gonna do now??
Old 10-15-2009, 09:23 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
I wonder if this means that the 700cc Tariff will return!? Are the Ronnie Regan years of motorcycling back...http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa032.html

Last edited by Moto Man; 10-15-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Not like we're missing much.
Hopefully AMA will at least be worth watching again.

Last edited by Just_Nick; 10-15-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:36 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jbaxx
What the F is DMG gonna do now??
at least the debate is over, letting the 1125r vtwin race with the 600 I4's. dumb a$$es.

if Erik didn't win the series he would have been laughed off the track ( with
such a large advantage... )

tim
Old 10-15-2009, 09:50 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
wow. that blows big time. their latest CR edition of their sportsbike was really sounding very good as well. he sounds suicidal. tough break.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Crap! Makes me want to go out and buy one. It'll be a long time (if ever?) before a sportbike comes off our soil.

At least Harley is trying to trim costs to stay upright without making the taxpayers fund it. It's a tough market for them, a $20K motorcycle is the first thing to get crossed off someone's list when they have no job or a rising mortgage payment.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 10-15-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:02 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
H-D - over-priced & over-produced.

Hopefully someone will pick up the company & keep it going.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
I have always been a huge fan of cross grain type thinking, especially when it works. I thought buell did a great job with what they had available to them. I think in a few more years with the right funding they could have really made a difference.

Oh and Harley introduced 9 more models this year, none of which I can see much difference other than "that one has bags".
+1
Old 10-15-2009, 11:45 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
this is so typical. HD thows away the only bikes that had any real value, and keeps the crap. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it seems the majority of HD riders are well suited for their "bikes" (if thats what you want to call them) and few HD riders appreciated buells on the whole. no knock on HD riders here. if you are here, then you aren't who I'm talking about. but nobody can deny, that harley riders have more posers in their ranks than the customers of any other bike company. just a shame that harley opted to support them rather than the customers that actually like to RIDE. I guess the money is in replacing parts. not making bikes that are high enough quality to actually run for a while(ie. Buells). no money there. good representation of an american bike company and the retards that run it. I'd rather have a korean pos than american now. hope they die of syphilis.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:50 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
And yet HD is still bailing water with MV Agusta. I wonder if the money they invested in MV could have kept Buell afloat long enough to ride out this depression, oops, recession.

And the fat cats on Wall & Main Street are laddeling out $153billion in bonuses at 23 companies using our bailout money!
Old 10-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Squid

nwellinghoff is on a distinguished road
The press release states that H-D is also putting MV up for sale
Old 10-15-2009, 12:43 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
this is so typical. HD thows away the only bikes that had any real value, and keeps the crap. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it seems the majority of HD riders are well suited for their "bikes" (if thats what you want to call them) and few HD riders appreciated buells on the whole.
Well, those "posers" as you call them are what keep H-D in business. It would be stupid of them to keep Buell and cut a more profitable part of the lineup.

It's an uphill battle for them anyways, because of people (and perhaps you) trashing on their products based on a few 2nd hand stories rather than actual experience.

GM has been fighting that stigma for the past 10 years. Even if they built the best damn car in the history of mankind, lots of people would still assume it was crap and not buy it, and then tell everyone else the same.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 10-15-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:12 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nwellinghoff
The press release states that H-D is also putting MV up for sale
No PR posted above, got a link?
Old 10-15-2009, 01:14 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
No PR posted above, got a link?
http://www.motorcycledaily.com/15oct...scontinues.htm
Old 10-15-2009, 01:17 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Well, those "posers" as you call them are what keep H-D in business. It would be stupid of them to keep Buell and cut a more profitable part of the lineup.

It's an uphill battle for them anyways, because of people (and perhaps you) trashing on their products based on a few 2nd hand stories rather than actual experience.

GM has been fighting that stigma for the past 10 years. Even if they built the best damn car in the history of mankind, lots of people would still assume it was crap and not buy it, and then tell everyone else the same.
I don't think its the "trashing" causing sales losses at HD... its over saturation and the fact they aren't attracting the next gen. Even HD know this, that was the reason for Buell in the first place. And forget 2nd hand stories I have ridden a Harley and my opinion is it sucked. Now if it is what you want to ride I don't care, its just not the bike for me. I hope HD contiues to build bikes, they are a staple of American culture even if we don't like their bikes.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:10 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
I'm bummed about this. Buell showed that design doesn't have to be conventional. Though I wouldn't have bought one with the Evolution motor, the Rotax was pretty attractive. Too bad it got off on the wrong foot. I hope that the 1125 and Uly can survive somehow.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:17 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
GM could build the worlds best cars - and yes we (or at least I) would still bash them. How many years does it take to remove the stink of 3 decades of ****? Quite a few - and I'm not ready to forget.
I think "buy American" was partially to blame. Americans would buy American cars on principle and that fostered te sence of entitlement that GM Chrysler and Ford had. They thought the US consumer would always accept their crap. Turns out they were wrong. It is disgusting that our money was used to bail them out.
I feel bad for Buell. It is the only American bike I ever thought might interest me. Maybe Eric or others in that organization will have a chance to rebuild a smaller leaner company. It was a niche product and I guess ultimately sales volume could not support organization
Old 10-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
I've owned two Buells and thought they were great bikes. Sad to see them go. Kinda wish I still had that pearl white S2 with WP wheels.

Quick Reply: No more Buell