General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Could a Buell be in your future?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 04:54 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Could a Buell be in your future?

They look like a pretty exciting bike, lots of torque, low center of gravity, V-twin, sexy brakes, etc

Other than its a Harley motor (45deg) to a Japanese (90deg) it seems like a more updated Superhawk. In fact, everything I've heard and read it seems like this bike is supposed to be everything a Hawk stands for and more ie: made for real world corner carving.

My friends, who are VERY good riders, went out with a couple of new guys on Buells and they said that they really had to work hard to put on a decent showing.

So I'd like to know what my knowledgable buddies here think of them? Maybe a reliability factor? Limited aftermarket bits?

Talk me out of wanting one cause I just got my Hawk running right
Old 08-02-2005, 07:35 PM
Squid

Lonewolf
Re: Could a Buell be in your future?

Scott, you dont want a buell... Its just a dressed up HD. I hear bad things about reliability and power. Sure they make torque but they lak any sort of power after 5500-6000 RPM... I've ridden the blast, xb9 and xb1200 they only one that was nearly as fun as the hawk was the XB12 and it still dint creat the "right" power.

Stick to the VTR, i dont want to be the only one in the group with one
Old 08-02-2005, 08:06 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see I'm going to get hammered on this thread.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Back Marker

RymerC
shame! if you want more, why not look for an RC51? I hear the RSV millle's can be had for around 4-5k now used, I'd rather have just about anything thatn a fartley.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:36 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

With the current tractor motors, Buells will never be on my radar. The few guys I know who've had them all had problems. With the v-rod motor, mmm maybe but only if it wuz reeeeeal cheap (used) but I bet that motor is real heavy and would spoil the package.

Now if Erik decides to buy some RC51 motors like those guys did with the new vincent (still around?) and put them in an purposely designed frame, I might be the first in line! 8)
Old 08-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Back Marker

thegreep

Now come on guys, don't be eliteists. The buell is a cool bike for what it is. . .that being said, the price is out of whack for them and the thing I would have the most problem with, other than the rev is that dangold harley vibration. I love overhead cams. . .
Seriously though, I have a friend that bought one and vibration was his biggest complaint. The vrod motor would be a good addition to that bike. The other thing that just sprang to mind i the seating poition. . .can you say supercrouch?

Edit..

Any spelling errors are accredited to the laptop keyboard.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:29 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point

You hit 2 points right on the head Greep. 1) WTF is Harley thinking, the true harley guy hates the vrod engine. Anyone like us that would consider buying a Buell dosen't want that out dated under reved engine in a sportbike. Put that engine in a new buell and I would consider buying it.
2) The vibrations. My brother has been preaching buy American all of our lives,(I wish he would stop btw.) and he owns a '96 st2 or something like that. It's one of the last hand made by Eric type bikes where he actually worked on all the bikes. Anyway the things got all the goodies straight from the factory,(WP invrted forks, six piston caliper and wp shock,it even comes with hard bags,). It handles great I mean it can carve the conners up, but it has that Harley sportster engine. He's already had to rebuild it and even after the up grade I still eat it up. But back to the main problem the vibration. At lights I have to laugh as I look over and see the front wheel almost hopping off the ground. The mirrors are but waves of light or they might as well be because that's all it looks like. The bars shake so much my hands went numb in half the time it takes on the SH.

I beleive the new ones are rubber mounted so they shouldn't vib as much, and they have also improved on reliability but I still don't like the engine, give me the vrod engine ***** and maybe I'll buy one, Maybe.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:33 AM
MotoGP

Sorry one last thing if you really like to wheelie then taht engine works. It is easy and fun to wheelie it it's kind off like a big thumper enduro.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:02 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

Myself being 165lbs and 6ft 3inches the buels are nice but they arejust too small. I like the idea, and some of the innovation (front brakes radially mounted and oil filled swingarm) but its still a HD motor.

They they still need power. Now I would be interested in buying a supercharged buell. With its short wheelbase it would be a wheelie machine.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point

5500PRM?

no thanks. I think the Lightning is one of the best looking bikes available today, and they are supposed to handle amazing, but since I ride a MOTORcycle, that lump just can't be overlooked.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Squid

miken996

NO!!!
Old 08-07-2005, 05:08 PM
MotoGP

Nice, short and to the point I like that.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:04 AM
Squid

EMetz996

Once you ride it, you wont have any questions left. Take a demo ride for 30 minutes, be sure to take a few good sweepers, and you'll promptly return the keys without much discussion.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Squid

CB160 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NOrrTH
They look like a pretty exciting bike, lots of torque, low center of gravity, V-twin, sexy brakes, etc

Other than its a Harley motor (45deg) to a Japanese (90deg) it seems like a more updated Superhawk. In fact, everything I've heard and read it seems like this bike is supposed to be everything a Hawk stands for and more ie: made for real world corner carving.

My friends, who are VERY good riders, went out with a couple of new guys on Buells and they said that they really had to work hard to put on a decent showing.

So I'd like to know what my knowledgable buddies here think of them? Maybe a reliability factor? Limited aftermarket bits?

Talk me out of wanting one cause I just got my Hawk running right
Limited aftermarket bits? For a Harley?? Puleese! The old bromide goes,..."speed costs money. How fast do YOU wanna GO"? Find the American Sportsbike page.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Back Marker

iamanonymous is on a distinguished road
reliability is absolute crap, and harley service sucks! with a different motor and trans, omg it would be awesome imo
Old 05-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
i would build my aluminum framed cr500 street legal motard with the money it would take to get a buell and keep it running.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Until Buell starts buliding with the V-Rod motor, I won't be buying one. Put the V-Rod Liquid cooled motor in there, and a decent 6 speed tranny, and then'd you'd have a bike I might buy.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Watch out, CB160 got all over me for saying the Buell's engines are out of date. Give it to them CB160. BTW the reason the VRod motor is so fast, is because HD farmed it out to Porshe. Saddly, most all HD riders hate the VRod, and make fun of the Sportster as a girls starter bike. I myself think these two are the only ones I would have. That little plug was for you CB160.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:17 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RPV-Hawk
Until Buell starts buliding with the V-Rod motor, I won't be buying one. Put the V-Rod Liquid cooled motor in there, and a decent 6 speed tranny, and then'd you'd have a bike I might buy.
Unfortunately, the V-Rod engine is waaay too heavy. I like the looks of the new Buells and I'm sure they can keep up with anything on a twisty road, but I don't think I could get serious about buying one--too many other bikes I'd want for the same or less money.